AVS Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,164 Posts

Quote:
Spielberg was a very hands-on producer who very quickly surmised that Hooper was not up to the task, and pretty much held his hand through the making of the entire film. My understanding is Spielberg went to the director's guild to request that Hooper's name be replaced with his and they refused, and so the movie appears as it does now, with Spielberg as producer and Hooper as director, just like the contracts were written up.

Spielberg was knee-deep shooting E.T. around the same time -- I think that's the only reason he didn't direct the movie per se. But he ended up being around a LOT, obviously, and his imprint is all over it.

If they released the old Making Of featurette on the HD-DVD, you can watch Spielberg give instructions to all the actors and set up the cameras...while Hooper sits in the background not saying a word.

·
UHD Addict
38,242 Posts
Yes. Spielberg expected Poltergeist to do much better than E.T. But we all know how that turned out.

·
Registered
792 Posts
This is one of those flicks I've never owned but always wanted to. Hell yeah, I'll buy it on HD DVD! That'll be awesome!

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
What stinks is this is just a week after I ordered more than $200 in HDDVD's from Warners site, damn. This was one of the ones I was really looking forward to.

·
Registered
927 Posts
According to thedigitalbits.....

"Warner has announced a new Poltergeist: 25th Anniversary Edition DVD for release on 10/9 (SRP $19.97), which features a remastered anamorphic widescreen transfer, along with the They Are Here: The Real World of Poltergeists Revealed documentary. Unfortunately, according to Warner, no high-def versions are currently planned."

grrrrrrrr.....

21 - 26 of 26 Posts