Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok...

I' interested getting some PP as a screen however, however i'm not sure in what order to you apply the paints?

If i understand correctly, the on the back side you start with the base coat and work your way up to whatever mix you want to use.....Now this is what bothers me....in that scenario, the first surface that ends up reflecting light will be the base coat and not the mix. The best mix is on the outside placed against the wall.

why not paint your favorite mix down first and then layer it with OPW or some form of sealer? This way the best paint mix is immediately behind the plastic layer.

Now is this a crazy idea or is there a reason for painting it the current way? Or did i just misunderstand the order of things along the way?

~Mike

·
Registered
194 Posts
You have to paint it with 3 base coats of Behr UPW high gloss and then a 3 coat mix of choice. I had better results painting on the matte side of the polly

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok....

but you're painting the backside of the screen in that order. So when you project on the screen the first paint layer reflecting light is the base color (OPW) not the best mix.

i mean you wouldn't spent the time to paint any screen with the best mix (biglye, MMax, etc) first and then put primer/opw down on top of that and project on that layer, right?

Or am i missing something here?

~Mike

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
Mike,

i think you are a little bit mixed up about the processes...

first of all... i do not recommend painting the backside of the polywall. polywall is 95-100% opaque... it makes

no sense to paint the backside. the ONLY backside color with ANY effect on the frontside topcoat is BLACK.

doing so will only make your image darker... and that's not necessarily a good thing.

if... however... you are instead, using a clear acrylic or plexiglass sheet... then yes, it makes sense

to paint the backside with either a pearl metallic or a silver metallic.

then you would FLIP the arylic sheet over... and paint the topcoat on the OTHER side.

the side that the projector is projecting on to is the topcoat (or good side).

hope this clears things up for you...

-maxx.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
pb_maxx,

Thanks some where i must have gotten mixed up, thanks for the pointer!

must still be drunk from new years eve yet!

Thanks for your help,

~Mike

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
23,875 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRinkunas
pb_maxx,

Thanks some where i must have gotten mixed up, thanks for the pointer!

must still be drunk from new years eve yet!

Thanks for your help,

~Mike
Ya can't cheat an honest man. (hic!)

The order:

Parkland...matte side

Two sprayed or rolled layers of UPW Gloss or pure Silver Metallic

Then;

MMud-SE - three thin coats

or....,

MMaxxxMud - three thin coats

.....then, you get drunk, with happiness. :D

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
hmmm.....

that's not what i heard!

you forgot the longneck in-between each coat while ya waitin' for the coat to dry. :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.