AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to walk in the mornings while using my Pono so I need a pair of ear-buds.

Price, $100-$200 but open.

Thanks

·
Registered
411 Posts
Sorry no idea on buds but how is that Pono? What is special about it? I just joined the sight tonight and see they use higher quality files than most but didn't really study up. I can download the Pono files to anything correct?

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
It's a waste of money. I have it from the kickstarter and it was a purchase I regretted.

The only good thing to come out of it is Pono Music World where you can buy music online in lossless format - the vast majority of tracks there are still cd quality. So instead of getting music as mp3 or AAC, you can buy them as FLAC. Which is way better even if you use an iPod or whatever.

Basically every review of pono has found it to be pointless and no one hears the extra quality. Especially for $400 where in the end, the only use I had was a FLAC player.

·
Registered
10,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry no idea on buds but how is that Pono? What is special about it? I just joined the sight tonight and see they use higher quality files than most but didn't really study up. I can download the Pono files to anything correct?
yes, no need to buy a Pono to listen to Flac if you already have a portable Flac player

No need for a Pono unless you want Flac instead of MP3.

It's fun, it's cool, it's not needed.

·
Registered
10,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's a waste of money. I have it from the kickstarter and it was a purchase I regretted.

The only good thing to come out of it is Pono Music World where you can buy music online in lossless format - the vast majority of tracks there are still cd quality. So instead of getting music as mp3 or AAC, you can buy them as FLAC. Which is way better even if you use an iPod or whatever.

Basically every review of pono has found it to be pointless and no one hears the extra quality. Especially for $400 where in the end, the only use I had was a FLAC player.
this has nothing to do with the thread but I guess, for some reason, you felt compelled to make it about yourself.

I do have a question though, why on earth did you expect it to be more than a Flac player?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Eljr, what kind of sound are you looking for? I work at Klipsch and can probably make a recommendation for you.

If you love big bass balanced without a muddy midrange (keep in mind it's a moving coil/dynamic driver, which aren't as precise as balanced armatures), the Klipsch R6 is a good option. Additionally, what may be "big bass" in a quiet listening environment, I think you will quickly realize that when you're outside and there's a lot of noise, an earphone with a lot of bass will become very neutral sounding.

If you like a reference sound, which is spectrally very balanced, the X7i is absolutely my go-to headphone. Pono has clean power, and a lot of it, so it's a great choice for pairing with just about any headphone. But once again, if you're walking in a subdivision that's relatively quiet - this is a great choice, if you're out in the city, I would stick with the R6.

R6 can be found at Best Buy or Amazon. X7i is easiest to find on the web. If you buy them from Klipsch.com, you've got some time to test both of them out and return the one that doesn't work for you within a month.

·
Registered
10,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Eljr, what kind of sound are you looking for? I work at Klipsch and can probably make a recommendation for you.

If you love big bass balanced without a muddy midrange (keep in mind it's a moving coil/dynamic driver, which aren't as prtaht did not sound ecise as balanced armatures), the Klipsch R6 is a good option. Additionally, what may be "big bass" in a quiet listening environment, I think you will quickly realize that when you're outside and there's a lot of noise, an earphone with a lot of bass will become very neutral sounding.

If you like a reference sound, which is spectrally very balanced, the X7i is absolutely my go-to headphone. Pono has clean power, and a lot of it, so it's a great choice for pairing with just about any headphone. But once again, if you're walking in a subdivision that's relatively quiet - this is a great choice, if you're out in the city, I would stick with the R6.

R6 can be found at Best Buy or Amazon. X7i is easiest to find on the web. If you buy them from Klipsch.com, you've got some time to test both of them out and return the one that doesn't work for you within a month.
thanks, I appreciate the great recommendations. The X7i, on the surface seems perfect. Problem is, I am a bit fearful of Klipsch. I have never heard a Klipsch speaker that did not sound harsh. Do the earphones reflect the same high sensitivity that I do not favor?

·
Registered
5 Posts
thanks, I appreciate the great recommendations. The X7i, on the surface seems perfect. Problem is, I am a bit fearful of Klipsch. I have never heard a Klipsch speaker that did not sound harsh. Do the earphones reflect the same high sensitivity that I do not favor?
I don't think you have anything to worry about. The technology behind the headphones is inherently different. Our speakers are based on horn-loaded tweeter designs. Our headphones use balanced armatures. The other big difference is free field versus pressure field environments. Speakers are in a free field environment which are impacted by room acoustics. Room acoustics alone can be the reason for why Klipsch speakers can sound harsh. In a pressure field environment (earphones) we take a lot of the variables out and control the experience.

The underlying principles remain the same: high efficiency, controlled directivity, low distortion, and flat frequency response. But at the end of the day, headphones and speakers are apples and oranges.

I think you'll be pleased with X7i. If you're not - please don't hesitate to tell me about it and return it for something else.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I want to walk in the mornings while using my Pono so I need a pair of ear-buds.

Price, $100-$200 but open.

Thanks
You’ve got a Pono so don’t skimp on the headphones/earbuds.
Otherwise what’s the point of owning a Pono?
These might be above your budget but consider- Shure E2 earbuds.
They've gone up in price since Shure discontinued them...gone up alot.
Although- since you have a Pono I assume you'll be listening to HQ music and not something ripped off the internet. So you really should go with a set of good headphones.
-----------------------------------------
Update- If your walking or jogging don't get the Shure E2c.
There a bear to keep in your ears.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.