AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the matter with Disney? Or any movie studio that gives priority to a DUB? This is soo irritating, I was looking forward to this movie. Now it gives me much pause in my consideration for purchasing it. Why must studios dumb down foreign movies? I don't mind a dub as long as I have access to the original language track, and in the case of Blu ray, the original track needs priority for lossless audio over the dub. This is another Hero blunder.

According to the review released yesterday from dvdbeaver:

Audio:

DTS-HD Master Audio English 2260 kbps 5.1 / 48 kHz / 2260 kbps / 16-bit (DTS Core: 5.1 / 48 kHz / 1509 kbps / 16-bit)

Dolby Digital Audio French 640 kbps 5.1 / 48 kHz / 640 kbps / DN -4dB

Dolby Digital EX Audio Japanese 640 kbps 5.1-EX / 48 kHz / 640 kbps / DN -4dB

What do you guys think about this?

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
The problem is that those of us who only listen to the original audio tracks are no doubt in the minority. If they did a poll of the folks who buy these discs, it wouldn't surprise me if 90%+ only watch the English version.

But no, I don't like it either. Even films that I started off watching in English, I now watch only in the original.

Colt: Image post fail.

·
Registered
915 Posts
Thankfully i didn't find the english dub too bad in theaters. Actually the past few haven't been too bad (minus Princess Mononoke) I will still be buying the release on Blu

·
Registered
308 Posts
It's disappointing and definitely sucks, but it's not going to stop me from buying this great film. I'm definitely not importing the Japanese Blu-ray, at least not when it will cost me 100+ dollars. The fact that none of it's special features have English subs doesn't help either.

Since I'm only paying roughly 20 dollars on sale for the North American Blu-ray, it's a no brainer which version I'm getting. Still sucks though. I suppose the only thing we can do is flood Disney with complaints? They messed up on Ponyo, let's make sure they don't mess the other Ghibli classics. If we ever get them...

·
Registered
4,779 Posts
Disney's handling of their foreign properties has always been suspect on home video. It would not have killed them to include both lossless soundtracks. There is the small possibility their license prevented them from including the Japanese soundtrack in lossless audio, to prevent Japanese importers. But given their treatment of other movies like Hero, it probably was a no-thought decision made by someone in the home video department who is not aware of the issue.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi2016 /forum/post/18137299

The problem is that those of us who only listen to the original audio tracks are no doubt in the minority. If they did a poll of the folks who buy these discs, it wouldn't surprise me if 90%+ only watch the English version.

and in the case of other movies, the remix.

I was watching Sony's DR STRANGELOVE release and the 5.1 mix was DTS-HD MA but the original mono mix was DD at a really low bitrate, like under 200 kbps, I think.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Sadly... I fully expected this.

The part that really ticks me off though is that there's ROOM for both in lossless, which leaves no excuse.

Even if the genius in charge of disc authoring doesn't get it, SOMEONE knows that lossless original audio is important to anime buyers but they didn't do anything about it.

I just hope they know, I won't REBUY it just because they release a special edition with lossless japanese. I'm done with double dipping.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Really, no one's defended the dub? When Liam Neeson, Cate Blanchett, and other talented people offer their voices for an animated film, won't all but the most devoted English-speaking film purists consider the Japanese track secondary?

A shame it's not in lossless, but still.

On a side note, could someone offer an MP3 analogy of lossless vs lossy movie audio? Like, 128kbs vs lossless, 256 vs lossless, etc? (I realize I just cut my argument off at the legs by admitting I've never listened to lossless, but still!)

·
Registered
157 Posts
I have heard both, and while the DUB is better than most, it is almost monotone in comparison to the Japanese performances.

DVD Beaver reports 41 GB of the 50 GB available was used. They had plenty of room for a lossless Japanese track, as others have mentioned. This not some case of having to pick between priorities, but one of simply treating the original audio, and those who care about it as an afterthought.

Unlike Disney, which had enough resources for both audio tracks, I don't have the resources for every thing I want to purchase, and must prioritize. I am not going to use my limited resources to support a product where the original performances are considered "secondary".

I have heard that there is a Hong Kong release that has lossless Japanese audio, English subtitles, and is a bit cheaper than the $50 Japanese Blu-ray. I might consider that for the right price.

Quote:
I remember that after a storm of criticism, Disney actually pulled and delayed the Princess Mononoke DVD to add the Japanese language track to that release. If people could organize another campaign like that one...

Who did people contact, and how did they pull this off? I think after the numerous similar cases, it is worth attempting another concerted effort.

·
Registered
156 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eapleitez /forum/post/18136547

What is the matter with Disney? Or any movie studio that gives priority to a DUB? This is soo irritating, I was looking forward to this movie. Now it gives me much pause in my consideration for purchasing it. Why must studios dumb down foreign movies? I don't mind a dub as long as I have access to the original language track, and in the case of Blu ray, the original track needs priority for lossless audio over the dub. This is another Hero blunder.

According to the review released yesterday from dvdbeaver:

Audio:

DTS-HD Master Audio English 2260 kbps 5.1 / 48 kHz / 2260 kbps / 16-bit (DTS Core: 5.1 / 48 kHz / 1509 kbps / 16-bit)

Dolby Digital Audio French 640 kbps 5.1 / 48 kHz / 640 kbps / DN -4dB

Dolby Digital EX Audio Japanese 640 kbps 5.1-EX / 48 kHz / 640 kbps / DN -4dB

What do you guys think about this?

I have the original Japanese DVD and the sound track on that is DTS-ES 6.1 755kbps/48 kHz. Even this DVD audio track is better than the dodgy BD Disney one. This is pretty sad and poor form considering you are supposed to be getting better PQ and AQ on a BD.

I might have to compile my own HD version to get the DTS-ES on it if I get the local Blu ray because the Japanese Blu ray is a ridiculous price.

·
Registered
45 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronMK /forum/post/18144390

Who did people contact, and how did they pull this off? I think after the numerous similar cases, it is worth attempting another concerted effort.

I second this

Rather than find some generic email to write to, if anyone knows the best contact at Disney for a complaint/request for re-issue, then I'll gladly write

·
Registered
241 Posts
Slightly off topic but it's also better to avoid Hong Kong release by IVL. Video is apparently 1080i 29.97 Hz
although Japanese audio is lossless dts-HD MA 16-bit (Japan BD is 24-bit). HK release is region free.

http://www.asianblurayguide.com/deta...ime_hong_kong/

·
Registered
85 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by paku /forum/post/18144772

I just used this form (you can select issue and media type.)

They replied and said my email had been "forwarded to the correct department for consideration".

E-mail sent, thanks for the link.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Wow, ouch. Though in fairness I will be forced to listen to the English anyway (kids LOVE Ghibli movies).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElChupacabra /forum/post/18143938

Really, no one's defended the dub? When Liam Neeson, Cate Blanchett, and other talented people offer their voices for an animated film, won't all but the most devoted English-speaking film purists consider the Japanese track secondary?

A shame it's not in lossless, but still.

On a side note, could someone offer an MP3 analogy of lossless vs lossy movie audio? Like, 128kbs vs lossless, 256 vs lossless, etc? (I realize I just cut my argument off at the legs by admitting I've never listened to lossless, but still!)

Have you ever listened to, say, Princess Mononoke's dub? While it had some big names, the quality of the dub was far under the original Japanese.

1 - 20 of 96 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.