AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
8,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wish poopli had a 'Recommended Offerings' Tab. A sort of candy jar. If you like a show you've seen you list it in the RO tab and whoever wants it just takes it like a piece of candy and it becomes unlisted till the person downloads it. Then it can be relisted automatically if desired.

Version two(might be problematic)

You list a show as an offering. The people who want it list some shows they are willing to trade for it(or it just lets you see everything they have on their harddrive). At any time the person originally offering choses something from the counter offers and they exchange.

Wish you could see when a person has last logged on. It's good if you are sending a show and want to know how deligent they are being about their housekeeping.

cow

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by icecow
I wish poopli had a 'Recommended Offerings' Tab. A sort of candy jar. If you like a show you've seen you list it in the RO tab and whoever wants it just takes it like a piece of candy and it becomes unlisted till the person downloads it. Then it can be relisted automatically if desired.

Version two(might be problematic)

You list a show as an offering. The people who want it list some shows they are willing to trade for it. At any time the person originally offering choses something from the counter offers and they exchange.

Wish you could see when a person has last logged on. It's good if you are sending a show and want to know how deligent they are being about their housekeeping.

cow
did you send this to Archie the poopli guy?

·
Registered
8,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thought everyone would have a few ideas then just show 'Archie' the whole thing. I haven't talked to Archie thus far.

cow

·
Registered
290 Posts
I've sent him a few ideas, but I think it's a great idea to list them here - it will get the creative juices flowing.

An obvious one (that I believe is due imminently) is to be able to hide shows in your replay guide. A variation on this would be to be able to hide classes or categories of shows. For instance PPV, Manual Record, Received Shows. Or by channel: HBO, Starz, Spice...

It would also be useful if the show requests display not only the internet serial number, but also the internet name. On numerous occasions I've tried to send a show to someone only to have the RTV tell me that internet ID is already in the address book. Problem is, there's no easy way to know which of the address book entries corresponds to the internet serial number. You can do it by going to Menu, Setup etc. but it's really awkward. It would also aid in ensuring the correct number was entered.

Also, the multi-RTV capability is fantastic, but still needs work to make it user friendly. For instance, on the "Transfers" page, it would be nice if all transfers for all ReplayTVs were listed, instead of having to use the drop-down box to list each RTV separately. Same thing for "Completed Transfers" and maybe also (as an option) for "My Show Database"

Adding to what icecow said about seeing the last login time, on the Show Database, it would be nice if the tabular list that shows all instances of a show would also show the poopli ID and rating of the owner of the show. It would be additional info that would help decide which one to request.

Finally, it should be set up to prohibit a user from having more than one request outstandnig for the same show at one time.

My 2 cents.

Poopli is great!

·
Registered
160 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Bigjohns
did you send this to Archie the poopli guy?
I have had worse nicknames. ;)

I read all feature requests and put them in order of importance. If I am unsure of the importance, I will usually leave it up to a poll on the site.

Currently the two main requests are "Auto Login" and "Hide Shows." That's what I am working on currently.

There is also the pending integration of the PlanetReplay sharing technology as well that is being worked on.

But keep the requests coming, I read them all via email or on this board. Pretty much all the functionality you see has come from someone requesting it.

-a

i mean

-Archie the poopli guy

·
Registered
181 Posts
So Archie,

what does poopli mean? any story behind it? :)

-----

I second the combining of transfer page for all the RTVs!

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
I'd like to see the quality a show was recorded at and a duration of the recording to help identify incomplete shows.

Tim

·
Registered
177 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by tluxon
I'd like to see the quality a show was recorded at and a duration of the recording to help identify incomplete shows.

Tim
YES YES YES YES!

·
Registered
160 Posts
Quote:

Tim
Duration was added this morning.

Where did poopli come from?

"How about this Pupli? No, Mom, everyone in school picks on the Pupli kids, even I do. I just hate them so much."

-Lisa Simpson

Given that Fox sues more people than the RIAA, I changed Pupli to Poopli to avoid any issues.

-a

·
Registered
8,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It would make more sense to me to have a little 'case file' type correspondence linked to the show itself. If you are receiving a show you click on the show on poopli and log a message to the other person, and they do the same thing. So you don't really have to think of peoples names, just the show. You can figure out their names over time. I don't think the guys name, I think "is that guy downloading OC or not?" I want to click on the OC show in question and read and write info.

cow

·
Registered
264 Posts
Quote:
I second the request for show quality info. Even if it's not possible for each individual show (because that info can't be D/L from MyReplayTV.com) I'd like the option for users to specify their "default" record quality (i.e. that which they use for a majority of their recordings) to at least give you an idea of which shows you'd like to request.

Scott

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Would be nice if there was a "Could not contact RTV" when responding to show requests.

Of course, I wanted the site to have the smarts to make sure that anybody joining the site has a reachable RTV. (some code to do an rddns lookup , and another to do an http request to the IP and port...and then automatically record the name of the RTV....instead of allowing people to type the wrong name for their ISN....its a pain to find their entry in your address book if the name is wrong)

Though my recent wish...is an option to change sending RTV while or after answering a show request.

I frequently forget to change my machine, when I'm looking at requests...so it is strange watching the send status when shows that aren't on an RTV are being sent (or when I look at the correct RTV and don't see the show as still being sent....so I delete it only to realize later that it is listed as originating from the wrong RTV, and it wasn't actually done yet....)

The Dreamer.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Along the lines of Cow's candy jar idea I think it'd be nice to just associate with shows without having to give up your myreplaytv access. For instance in the show listing, I could associate myself with Survivor, Simpsons and other shows I'm almost guaruteed to have, and if someone needs the shows I'm associated with I could be a contact. I don't think active maintainence of the cookie jar concept Cow mentioned would work, but the show association idea is a good one.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by TheDreamer
Would be nice if there was a "Could not contact RTV" when responding to show requests.

The Dreamer.
It looks like that option is already there. It comes up when you click on a show request in the pop-up window.

·
Registered
8,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by antibody128
Along the lines of Cow's candy jar idea I think it'd be nice to just associate with shows without having to give up your myreplaytv access. For instance in the show listing, I could associate myself with Survivor, Simpsons and other shows I'm almost guaruteed to have, and if someone needs the shows I'm associated with I could be a contact. I don't think active maintainence of the cookie jar concept Cow mentioned would work, but the show association idea is a good one.
People think differently at different times when they want a show. Much like databases(database theory, not to be confused with the database tab on poopli) with different 'views' of the same information, poopli could use a half a dozen tabs to let users approach show transfers in different ways. Right now there is already "Requests" and "Database" tabs. Why not have a half dozen tabs..

"Requests", "Database", "Candy Jar", "Supported Series(association idea)", "", ""

I have no need to defend the candy jar idea. It's just one more workable idea. But I still like it. Much like people want to share particular music with their friends, they surely want to share particular shows with people. It's a form of personal expression. Others want recomendations. The idea you brought up had already vaguely crawled through my mind before you mentioned it. I still haven't pictured how the gui on that would look. There's lots of good ideas. Archie has already been using tabs in this manor; I think the tab idea is a good idea.

cow

·
Registered
438 Posts
Heck, I'd just like to see the email windows be a bit wider... :)

I too wish there was an easy way to verify IVS connectivity. Unfortunately, I'm guessing that the latter would take intervention from D&M and the former would be pretty easy to do.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by bakerzdosen
Heck, I'd just like to see the email windows be a bit wider... :)
Ask and ye shall receive.

-a

·
Registered
353 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by icecow

I have no need to defend the candy jar idea.
I think I worded my response poorly and it sounds like an attack on your "candy jar" idea. Sorry about that, I like your recommendations idea too.

My idea was really just working off yours to begin with. I just feel that an actual episode/recording based recommendations list might take a bit of effort and maintenence on the part of the recommeder. My guess is that many users might like to just do a one time setup where they list some shows they regularly record. Perhaps you're right and different things would work for different people so more tabs is better.

Hope I worded this reply better:D

·
Registered
10 Posts
when you added the show length, you removed the episode info from the initial database screen.

I liked it better when the episode/date recoreded info was on the initial screen without having to open a new window...

bcavanau

1 - 20 of 62 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.