AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so I've streaming audio from my computer to my receiver for about a year now. I recently upgraded my receiver to an Onkyo 607, and am now trying to stream Pandora at the highest bitrate possible. I changed the Pandora setting to 192K. However, when I change my computer's preference settings from 96K to 192K, the volume and sound quality diminishes substantially, and I lose multi-channel capability.

The Onkyo supports 192K, and my computer is a 6-month old Dell XPS Studio desktop connected via an optical cable.

Any ideas as to what I'm doing wrong?

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Optical is a SPDIF connection. SPDIF cannot do more than 2 channels of 192KHz audio. For that you need a HDMI connection with a HD audio controller.

Also, not all HDMI connections in computers can do multi-channel HD audio, it depends on the audio controller. Some will do only SPDIF over the HDMI connection.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Unless the original source they are using is a 192kHz recording, I don't see the advantage to attempting to uprez it. CDs are sampled at 44.1kHz so they sound best at that rate. Internet sources typically use 44.1 or 48 as that is the MP3 spec. The only case in the world of physical music media where there is a higher sample rate would be SACD or DVD-Audio, which are niche audiophile formats. Can't gain info where there is none.
IMHO.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I'm not familiar with pandora, but are you sure it's setting it to 192khz sample rate, and not 192kbps baud rate?

most online music streaming places let you select the baud rate (128kbps, 192kbps, 320kbps) which you'd want to select the max for your connection speed. The 192khz of your sound card is completely unrelated to this.

most likely pandora streams 44 (or maybe 48) khz sample rate, and 192kbps baud rate.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
^^^hit the nail on the head. I've got some more reading to do in order to better wrap my head around this one. I didn't realize there was a difference, and am now better educated thanks to all of your responses. Pandora is now much happier with my choice of settings

·
Registered
1 Posts
i will go to see it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts