AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This projector produces spectacular results with HD material on my HD_DVD player and excellent results with SD material upscaled. I would not expect anything nearly as good, of course, with SD material from my laserdisk player or SD satellite receiver, especially using the standard composite video input. But what I fail to understand is why this material looks even worse when it is inputted as s-video! The image is noiseless but so soft as to be almost unwatchable. The luminance is poor also.

The cables used are of high quality. Has anyone else had this problem and, if so, what, if any, is the remedy.

Many thanks for your help!

Frank

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
I have the same problem with my s-video input on my Acer ph530 and the D**h pvr ,and since some composite video signals look better because some projectors have tbc built in while s-video does not,

What I do is use a scaler which cleans up the signal since some s-video devices look just awful on some digital projectors.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
In addition to the raw composite looking better than s-video, I have an old Vidicraft image enhancer which improves it even further (to me, though I know image enhancers are a discredited form of technology these days.) Unfortunately this was made before the days of s-video so it cannot process s-video.

Might I ask what scaler you use, does it have both s-vhs and composite inputs, and does it produce HDMI out?

Thank you again.

Frank

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
1 - 4 of 4 Posts