AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a HP s5360f desktop for use as a HTPC. It has 802.11 and Internet is picked up from above referenced router; which is located about 30 feet away in home office w other desktop computer.

The system has worked fine, had to return computer to HP for repair but that's another story, internet access is fine. Just the other day I was on office desktop, played a particular Youtube video, and went to HTPC to play same thing and it began buffering frequently tho intermittently.

I called HP and finally they did a speedtest and determined that the Download speed on the HTPC is only .82 mb/s while the office desktop tested at 23.11 mb/s.

If better download speed will solve the problem and a newer, more powerful router will provide the higher download speed; should I go for a new router?

Also, would an adapter be required for the HTPC?

Thanks.

Ferdf

·
Registered
20,920 Posts
Just the basics:

If the HTPC is wireless have you tired changing the channels?

Made sure that there is no software interfering with the download speed (AV, AS, ect)?

Tried an updated driver for the wireless card?

These are jstu soem of the basics. It may not be the router, but the wireless card\\setting that may be at fault.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts