AVS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8,939 Posts
I see no measurements in your link, so it's impossible to say how they sound.

But it's definitely nothing like a danley design.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Nothing like? I mean, its got a compression driver surrounded by 2x 5.25" drivers in the horn throat and a further 6x 5.25x drivers further out in the horn.

-Jim

·
Banned
15,491 Posts
There's a resemblance. They're hard to see but there's a pair of 5.25 inchers located part way back in the horn, similar to a Unity. But the circle of 5.25s at the horn terminus is totally different.

·
Registered
8,939 Posts
Nothing like? I mean, its got a compression driver surrounded by 2x 5.25" drivers in the horn throat and a further 6x 5.25x drivers further out in the horn.

-Jim
Yeah, you're right, didn't see the drivers in the horn. I looked at it on my phone and just saw the ring of drivers.

I wonder how much range is covered by the "unity" horn part of the design?

·
Registered
8,939 Posts
There's a resemblance. They're hard to see but there's a pair of 5.25 inchers located part way back in the horn, similar to a Unity. But the circle of 5.25s at the horn terminus is totally different.
Yeah, just got a better look at it from my desktop. Bill, do you think those drivers on the outside are gaining any significant directivity benefit from the horn?

·
Banned
15,491 Posts
Bill, do you think those drivers on the outside are gaining any significant directivity benefit from the horn?
No, and that's not the intent. Aimed cross-firing as they are they broaden the dispersion pattern at the upper end of their pass band. Keep in mind it's a ceiling mount box, and they don't want the mids beaming below the crossover to the HF section. OTOH at the lower end of their passband they do want to get more directivity, which the large diameter of the mounting ring will accomplish.

·
Registered
8,939 Posts
No, and that's not the intent. Aimed cross-firing as they are they broaden the dispersion pattern at the upper end of their pass band. Keep in mind it's a ceiling mount box, and they don't want the mids beaming below the crossover to the HF section. OTOH at the lower end of their passband they do want to get more directivity, which the large diameter of the mounting ring will accomplish.
Thanks Bill. I'd love to see some measurements of these things...

·
Banned
15,491 Posts
Thanks Bill. I'd love to see some measurements of these things...
It's odd that they aren't on the data sheet, since it's being marketed based on claimed uniform dispersion.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts