AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my Onkyo TX SR875 receiver Nov 2007, from jr.com. I paid $1300 for it, and was satified with the purchase. The unit worked fine for 8 months, until suddenly the front LED panel just went blank, even though the audio & video was functional.

06/02/2008 I dropped off the unit at the authorized service center, Allbrite electronics. This is the only one in all of Houston, TX. I was given an estimate of 10 days to fix(ha ha).

06/18/2008 Allbrite electronics ordered parts on 06/18

I called Onkyo's parts department and the guy on the phone asked me if I was a customer or service center, and told me not to call them again, since I was the customer!!!!

I've been calling/ emailing Onkyo every few days ever since. Its been almost 2 months and Allbrite electronics says they are still waiting on parts from Onkyo!!!!

There is still no ETA on when the parts will arrive, and my expensive speakers are not doing anything.

I used to have a good opinion of Onkyo's products, but after this recent experience with their support dept, I can safely say I'll never buy Onkyo again. Good luck to all of you that made an Onkyo purchase, just pray that you never have to call their customer support dept.

Onkyo's customer support is pathetic and as useless as it gets. I hope this serves as a warning to other people who are thinking of buying Onkyo products.

·
Registered
6,879 Posts
They really do need to beef up their support department and communicate better with their service centers, agreed. They've made an excellent product and zoomed past the competition in sales, now they need to increase their support network to compensate for the new influx of customers. An Onkyo authorized service center bricked my DTC-9.8 during a firmware upgrade last year (1.0 loader) and it was about 2 months before I was able to get a replacement. The nice thing was, though, that I got a brand new unit with the more user-friendly 1.01 loader and all was well after that - some companies would have sent a refurb.

·
Registered
7,480 Posts
I got a defective 605 (perhaps all of them are defective.) The Service center said it work normally and returned it to me. Normally meant the surround channels emitted random tics and pops. No pattern to it at all. Purely random. Normally meant that the surround channels would occasionally fade in volume from one side or another - randomly again. If that's normal, them I glad I sold the stupid thing on Ebay and bought something else.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The sad part is, even after all this time(7weeks), there is no ETA/ resolution in sight. The hold times on the phone easily exceed an hour, and they never respond to emails.

I'm stuck without a receiver.

·
Registered
750 Posts
That is just piss poor. I've been happy with my Onkyo/Integra gear so far, but reading stories like this makes me really, really hope it all stays healthy!

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Guess what, Onkyo removed All-Brite from their list of authorized service centers, or maybe All-Brite doesn't want to be on their list.

Regardless, I'm still waiting for my receiver.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I picked up my receiver from All-brite on Aug 07. I lugged the 60lb receiver back home, hooked it up and guess what... hdmi doesn't work. I reset the settings with the power + vcr button. Nothing. Switched hdmi cables, checked devices by hooking them up to the tv directly etc.

Still Nothing on the HDMI. Oh well, back to the service center

I've been without a receiver for almost 3 months now. Can't Allbrite/ Onkyo do anything right!!!!

This is officially my worst tech support experience ever!!!!

·
Banned
2,969 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriramc /forum/post/14429192

I picked up my receiver from All-brite on Aug 07. I lugged the 60lb receiver back home, hooked it up and guess what... hdmi doesn't work. I reset the settings with the power + vcr button. Nothing. Switched hdmi cables, checked devices by hooking them up to the tv directly etc.

Still Nothing on the HDMI. Oh well, back to the service center

I've been without a receiver for almost 3 months now. Can't Allbrite/ Onkyo do anything right!!!!

This is officially my worst tech support experience ever!!!!

Where did you buy it? Cant you get a full refund? This is just horrible to do that to person that bought a piece of equipment in good faith that it would work. Maybe its time to contact the BBB and your local news station.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Unfortunately, you are in good company with your Onkyo problems. I had a very similar experience with getting my 705 fixed. I won't go into details again as I have posted here several times on multiple "problems with Onkyo" threads.

This is reason why I won't purchase an Oknyo product ever again. I can deal with electronics failing, it happens, but when it does I shouldn't have to wait three months to get it fixed.

Search the threads there are numerous people who have had issues with Onkyo.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Numerous people have had problems with every company on this forum. Sadly, no matter how good anyone says a company's CS is it's usually a 50/50 shot when you have a problem. That's why I like extended warranties through places like Best Buy, or Circuit City. You drop it off with them and they deal with the headache. And it usually only takes 2-3 weeks, tops.

·
Banned
2,969 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEastSide /forum/post/14430292

Numerous people have had problems with every company on this forum. Sadly, no matter how good anyone says a company's CS is it's usually a 50/50 shot when you have a problem. That's why I like extended warranties through places like Best Buy, or Circuit City. You drop it off with them and they deal with the headache. And it usually only takes 2-3 weeks, tops.

I dont want to get into a debate about EW from BB or CC but dont they only kick in after the manufacturers warranty is over? And if so what good would that have done the OP since his is still under the Onkyo warranty?

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Well, Circuit City's warranty takes effect the day you buy it and overlaps the manufacturer's warranty. I don't know about Best Buy because it's been a few years since I've bought one of theirs.

·
Registered
26,476 Posts

Quote:
That's why I like extended warranties through places like Best Buy, or Circuit City. You drop it off with them and they deal with the headache. And it usually only takes 2-3 weeks, tops.

Yep, its still 2-3 weeks though

I wish they would provide replacements so we dont wait, of course that is why I own probably two of everything

·
Registered
2,995 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by phipp01 /forum/post/14429624

Where did you buy it? Cant you get a full refund? This is just horrible to do that to person that bought a piece of equipment in good faith that it would work. Maybe its time to contact the BBB and your local news station.

The OP says he/she got it from JR.com. It sounds like the local repair depot might be more to blame, not so much Onkyo - they shouldn't have released a "repaired" device that did not in fact work properly. I'm not saying Onkyo isn't at the root of this or other issues, though - maybe they have poor QA of their "Authorized Repair" system, and just pick "low bidder".

Perhaps the OP could try contacting Onkyo to see if there is another authorized repair depot in the area in lieu of the one that is apparently not authorized any more.

IMHO, YMMV,

shinksma

·
Banned
2,969 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinksma /forum/post/14430834

The OP says he/she got it from JR.com. It sounds like the local repair depot might be more to blame, not so much Onkyo - they shouldn't have released a "repaired" device that did not in fact work properly. I'm not saying Onkyo isn't at the root of this or other issues, though - maybe they have poor QA of their "Authorized Repair" system, and just pick "low bidder".

Perhaps the OP could try contacting Onkyo to see if there is another authorized repair depot in the area in lieu of the one that is apparently not authorized any more.

IMHO, YMMV,

shinksma

I would still file a complaint with the BBB and contact my local news station. It seems rereading the OP he did try contacting Onkyo and nothing happened except he got the run around. Pretty expensive paperweight IMHO

And as far as a CC EW I googled "terms of Circuit City extended warranty" and it aint pretty. Cant find the terms but you can find alot of complaints

·
Registered
1,463 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by penngray /forum/post/14430816

Yep, its still 2-3 weeks though

I wish they would provide replacements so we dont wait, of course that is why I own probably two of everything

I actually work at Circuit City. Sometimes, if a customer gets loud enough and are really mad when they bring their unit it we will give them a loaner. LOL! It's very rare, but we've done it.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
AllBrite finally fixed my receiver after a week, after all the yelling and screaming. This time they tested everything properly. I came home and the receiver worked as expected.

But guess what happened after 2 months, lcd display went out again!!!!! wtf!!!

This time I checked the forums and fixed it myself. I just had to solder a couple of resistors on to the display board. I wish I had known this a few months earlier, it would have saved me a ton of time and heartburn.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts