AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I posted before about how bad I thought the panny glasses are. Well I now know why. The open space on the sides allows too much light in and shows reflections in the lenses as a result. Try blocking the sides with your hands and see the result.

It seems even Best Buy agrees with me LOL

They added a metal bracket that covers the entire area around the glasses and it remedies the problem

Also, i tried the Sony glasses (awesome quality feel) and the samsung, they do not have this problem because their frame actually covers the sides and wraparound nicely.

So I found the problem, but still sad it exists after paying thus much money. I would recommend any other panasonic owners to hold off on buying extra pairs until a third party releases better ones

·
Registered
5,990 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvingomez /forum/post/19505354

[snip] ... I would recommend any other panasonic owners to hold off on buying extra pairs until a third party releases better ones

XpanD X103s perhaps?

·
Registered
253 Posts
I tried a pair. Light from the screen enters the lenses the reflects off the high gloss inside of the frames then back onto the lenses and into your eye.

Then there is the annoying yellow tint. And they are uncomfortable.

Also I detected that one lens was darker than the other when viewing 3d.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good insight there, I do agree with you on the yellow tint too.

Are the xpanD glasses even available yet? I want to try them out first too

·
Registered
504 Posts
How about using the new panasonic glasses that aren't open on the sides?

·
Banned
19,253 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvingomez /forum/post/19505726

Good insight there, I do agree with you on the yellow tint too.

Are the xpanD glasses even available yet? I want to try them out first too

The X103's are available at Sears.

·
Registered
483 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucsondave /forum/post/19505560

I tried a pair. Light from the screen enters the lenses the reflects off the high gloss inside of the frames then back onto the lenses and into your eye.

If you watch with lights on whatever is behind you does reflect into the glasses.

They are way more comfortable then the Panny old glasses.

And I do not notice a tint, or darker side.

Overall they trounce my old panny ones

·
Registered
2,037 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CollinViegas /forum/post/19506269

How about using the new panasonic glasses that aren't open on the sides?

Here's a view from behind. This resembles almost exactly what I see:

Actually, though, the improvement comes not so much from the closed temples as the smaller lens. Measured from the center of the nose out to the edge of the lens, the older glasses were about 1.5cm wider.

The smaller lens doesn't detract from your field of view as long as you're at least 1x screen size away from the TV.

As far as comfort goes, it's night and day.

- Lighter: 44g vs 62g

- Better nosepiece: made of a very flexible rubbery material that grips, vs the old stiff plastic-y material that slips

- Also more comfortable putting on/removing: the arms curve outward at the tip and slide angelically alongside the head like skis on snow.

I don't think they survive the head-shake test quiite as well as the Mitsubishis, but an eyewear band/retainer locks them to my head permanently with no discomfort so far. I have yet to wear them more than a couple minutes straight though, as I'm still waiting for the bloomin' TV to come!

Oh, and I ordered the X103's, arriving next Wednesday.

·
Registered
253 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUJayhawk20659 /forum/post/19516784

If you watch with lights on whatever is behind you does reflect into the glasses.

They are way more comfortable then the Panny old glasses.

And I do not notice a tint, or darker side.

Overall they trounce my old panny ones

Re: the X103's:

I watch with all lights off. The reflection is off the inside of the temple pieces of the screen. That area should not be high gloss plastic. Also the yellow tint destroys blues on my DLP. I also found them to be uncomfortable no matter what nosepiece I used. I tried watching both 3d-BD and feature length FS 3d's. I went back to my old IO cheapies with a piece of cotton stuffed under the nosepiece.

·
Registered
176 Posts
On the sizing of the new Panny glasses, is there a big difference between the lenses sizes from small to large or is the size difference based upon frame size. I am looking at getting them for my wife and daughter. The old glasses are just too big for them and I am trying to decide on what size to order.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I have only seen them online at a couple of the online retailers. I would like to try on the medium size before buying a pair.

·
Registered
5,990 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucsondave /forum/post/19505560

forget x103's

Hmmmm...

From another thread http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=19539933#post19539933
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaborik /forum/post/19539933

[snip] ...Overall weight and fit of the Xpand 103 is fantastic. Much more comfortable.

There is also no reflection on the lenses as it does not have a space like on the stock Panasonic glasses.

The #1 improvement is eye strain. I could only play Black Ops for half an hour before having to take a break. I've gone 2 hours with these glasses, with no eye strain whatsoever. This justifies the purchase in and of itself...[snip]

Anyone else use these glasses?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Panny had a sale on the new glasses on Friday and I ordered a couple. Looking forward to trying out the new design

·
Registered
111 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thptrek /forum/post/19562510

Panny had a sale on the new glasses on Friday and I ordered a couple. Looking forward to trying out the new design

Nice! thanks for the heads up. I will check the Panny site now.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Just got my new glasses and they are so much better. The lightness and the great fit make them better. As bad as the old glasses were, that is how much better the new ones are. Anyone want to buy two of the old glasses from me?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts