AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The picture quality on my Toshiba 57H81 has been really disappointing. I have Directv with just the round dish, with the best Monster S-video cable i could buy. The picture is boxey..pixilated..blurry. I also have Directv hooked up to my 25", and it looks great..

I've had a Best Buy guy come out and take a look at it, but he said this is common, as have a couple others i've talked with. However, whenever i read an article on-line, I hear nothing but good news. Please advise me on what I can do to get a clearer picture. Thanks for you help..

·
Registered
726 Posts
Do you have a problem with other sources like OTA or DVD inputs? If no, the problem is not with the TV but with the quality of the DirecTV signal. DirecTV looks better on a smaller TV because it's not magnified as much as on a large screen TV. I'm don't know a solution.

I own a 57hx81 and my OTA and DVD inputs look great.

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've never tried OTA on this tv, but the dvd's look good. Maybe i will give that a shot. Thanks..

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the 61" version of the same TV. I'm running Dish network agains mine and the picture quality is poor as well. Of course, DVD's and other high-res inputs (xbox) are great and look beautiful. Don't worry, there's nothing wrong with your TV, just the old addage junk-in junk-out.

·
Registered
441 Posts
The problem, I think, is that satellite is converted, internally to 540 p. You may want to check if you can bypass the internal processing and try a DVDO or other scaler.

Or if its not too late and you watch alot of satellite, return it for the Pioneer 533 HD5. I bought one and find it excellent for DVD and satellite.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Picture will improve after professional calibration. However, garbage in garbage out. TV's of this quality and size ( I have a 56H80) show all the flaws of the source. I am very happy about DVD's and HD but SD really lacks. However, it improved dramatically after the ISF cal.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I just hopped on here looking for the same answers. I have the 57H81 with DirecTV, the Monster 3 series s-video cable running to it. It looks blurry to me as well. XBOX and DVD look sweet though. I just wish there was a way to improve it. When I reduce it to the POP size (I think equivalent to a 31" 4:3 screen) it looks sharper. But I want to watch on my full screen without getting a headache!

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
As has been said a million times on this forum, you can't make **** look like flowers. Those low quality sources will only look better if you sit more than 10 ft from the screen. Otherwise, get used to it. Cable, VHS and DISH/DirecTV are loq quality signals and only look good on small TV's.

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
Greetings

It's funny that no one seems to have a problem with the concept of blowing a photograph from 4x6 to 40x60 and the image looking blurry and grainy ...

But when it comes to TV ... why can't such an analogy simply be transplanted? It's so obvious ...

Same reason why 640x480 jpegs look the same as 1600x1200 jpegs when the monitor is doing 640x480 resolution.

Now do 1600x1200 resolution and see what happens to the 640x480 image blown up.

The TV cannot magically add detail to a signal.

The TV's are not those esper machines from Blade Runner where you can zoom infinitely into a picture and expect infinite amounts of detail to appear out of nowhere.

Regards

·
Registered
231 Posts
I have the 50h82 and Directv. I have a samsung ts-160 hd/directv box connected via components to colorstream 1. The box is set to output 1080i to the TV, so i assume all SD channels are upconverted. SD channels dont look too bad to me, infact they look better using this box than my old cheapo sony sat-b65 free box (via svideo). Some people say that you should hook up the box to both component and either composite/svideo/coax and switch between the 2 for HD and SD programming. To me this seems silly as mine looks fine all running through the component.

How far do you sit from the TV? I sit about 7-8 ft. SD channels look pretty good, HD and DVD is great. If i was able to move back 2-3 more feet it would be much better.

Some channels look better than others for whatever reason.

just my 0.02

-jamie

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.