AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw a 61 inch sammy on display at a store called The Great Indoors. It was connected to the sammy dvi capable dvd player. It was playing Lord of the Rings. It seemed to have a blotchy false contouring feel to the picture. I thought the DVI connection was supposed to eliminate this? Other forum posts advise that use of the DVI connection produces an image that looks almost as good as HD?

I don't know much about the DVD player or how it was set up. I noticed that there was a progressive scan button that was not lit up on the front panel and another button that seemed to toggle through scaling options. This button had no noticeable impact on the picture.

I'm interested in buying this TV and one of the few DVI compatible players. Can anyone comment on these poor results?

·
Registered
4,180 Posts
The Great Indoors in Maryland does not have the 931 hooked up through the DVI port. They are using component cables (which defeats the whole purpose of hooking up the 931 to the 617). With stores like this who knows how they have it hookup up unless you check yourself.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a DLP and 931. I use the DVI for DVD's that are the correct format with 720P output to the TV. LOTR looks great - better than in the theater. I watched Gods and Generals last night and the PQ was excellent. For full screen format and others that don't work well with the "Wide" format I use the component connection with 480P output. The Edge is one of the DVD's that I have to resort to this and it has a most unsatisfactory picture. Older movies in the full-screen format look great through the component connection.

sam

·
Registered
714 Posts
The progressive scan off buton is normal for DVI output. That only effects the component output. Also, I don't really notice much of a difference when switching through the scaling options. I leave it at 720p (blue) for my TV.

I got my 61" from ABC. If you PM me, I'll give you the contact info my Samsung. (Although I have no idea if they have any 61" in stock!) He should be able to give you a good deal, should be able to beat the Great Indoors.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have the Samsung HLN507W and want to purchase a new DVD/CD player. So are you saying that I should get one with DVI output? And if I do some movies will look good and others won't? How do I find out which are better to use with DVI connections and which are better with component? Do any multi-disk DVD players have DVI?

·
Registered
326 Posts
Check out the DVD forum for plenty of discussion on this.

You'll get a better picture with DVI than component on this set.

You can go to Best Buy and pick up a Samsung HD-931 DVD player with DVI out for $299. You'll also have to buy a DVI cable. Do NOT buy the cable at BB, as they will try to hit you up for $100 for a Monster cable. You can get perfectly good cables for $10-$25, depending on whether you go the Ebay route or buy from a retailer like bettercables (see link at top of page).

The other easily available player is the Bravo D1 from V Inc (see http://www.vinc.com/level2.asp?id=31&PID=21 ).

There is much discussion as to which is better over on the DVD forum. I have the 931 with my HLN5065, and I'm very happy with it.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Samsung and Bravo D1 by V Inc. are the only DVI Players that I know of. I have not heard about any other players. I am interested in a inexpensive universal DVI equipped player

·
Registered
8 Posts
A lot depends on the specific DVD. Some must be shown via component connections or they will be stretched. Any DVD that is full screen, and some that are 2.35:1 or 1.85:1 but are actually formatted for 1.33:1 with the "black bars" built in will not display properly using the DVI connection. Any DVD that will display properly with the "Wide" setting will look better going through the DVI at 720P. I also have the HD931 and have it connected with both cables. It is simply a matter of pushing a button on the DVD player and changing the input on the TV to switch from one to he other.

sam

·
Registered
28 Posts
OK...one other question. If you hook the DVD player through the DVI hookup, what do you put the HD converter box through? I was looking at Sony SAT HD200, which has DVI output. I know this may get out of the DVD player question, but not sure where to post this.

·
Registered
274 Posts

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Unless you are willing to spend another $250.00 + for a DVI A/B switch, you will have to resort to physically swapping the dvi connection between the dvd and the stb to the TV's one dvi port when you want to view either one or the other.

I bought a HD931 last week. I am bummed at the moment because my Samsung firmware upgrade board swap on Saturday did not go well and I had to subsequently delay the full ISF calibration that was to be done by the same tech and all of for which I had purchased the new dvd player in preparation. However, I have played with the HD931 a bit and I will tell you my experience has been more than mild pleasure; and IMHO the shire scene in the opening of LoTR-FoTR looks stunning. That is the very first instance I have used such an accolade for my TV since first seeing the demo model in Tweeter months ago. I am still trying to duplicate that same quality of picture satisfaction and believe I am now getting very close. I am still pinning my hopes on the upgrade, the ISF calibration and ultimately a stb from my cable provider that provides a 720p HD source.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Does everyone recommend getting a tech to calibrate the TV? Is that how things will be the best? Should I do it with a brand new HLN503W?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.