AVS Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 42" 1080P Sceptre and for some reason the PQ isn't what I thought it should be for a tier 0 film. It seems very grainy at times. Some scenes look spectacular and others are fairly grainy. On the grainy parts of the film the PQ from my included Talladega Nights and Kung Fu Hustle are better.

Its being displayed at 1080P for sure. Anyone else notice this?

·
Registered
708 Posts
BHD was shot Grainy.

You're seeing the movie the way it was shot. Theres not a lot you can do about it.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm an idiot, I didn't give my tv enough time to warm up. Everything is much better now. Almost everything looks stunning, except for a couple of scenes where its still grainy but as you guys said, its probably part of the filming. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
The beginning of the movie is like a flashback mode when they tell the story of the warlords in the country. Almost like a CNN news report. That is not only grainy, it is low quality. The real movie starts after that.

You see the same thing used in Tears of the Sun and also Phantom of the Opera. I think the transition is what makes the difference so dramatic.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Grit, overexposure, and color re-timing add character to a movie. The kind of things they can do to film today are amazing. Let's see what Saving Private Ryan looks like when it comes to a BD or HD-DVD format. The intensity of the film will come flying through. Can't wait.

Btw, a friend's family is attending the funeral of a ranger next week. My condolences to the soldiers who died both in Africa and Iraq.

·
Registered
665 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Mack /forum/post/0

Man, when SPR finally arrives, the're gonna be about a dozen threads here with people complaining about how "grainy" and "washed out" it is and how it doesn't have "that 3-d POP!"....

They will also complain of the white flashes that occur on the beach. Must be the codec's fault
. I love spielberg's films but he always has stylized approach that most here on this forum will complain about.

·
Registered
3,717 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coug7669 /forum/post/0

They will also complain of the white flashes that occur on the beach. Must be the codec's fault
. I love spielberg's films but he always has stylized approach that most here on this forum will complain about.

The debate about SPR raged a few months ago concerning the HBOHD ( I think it was HBO) broadcast and an earlier network presentation.

Tons of complaints and claims that the earlier broadcast looked better. Finally someone posted frames from the earlier broadcast and compared it to the HBO presentation...they were exactly the same transfer.

So...yes SPR will ellicit screams of protest despite the fact that SS filmed it this way.

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
Sometimes a TV can't show the full 210+ range of luma for each color. If the TV is not calibrated, you may not even get 100 different levels in a gray ramp.

TVs always ship with default values for brightness and contrast way too high. If the TV has a movie/cinema mode, use that. Ideally calibrate brightness/contrast yourself using the sony "7669" test screens.

·
Registered
7,802 Posts
BHD may not be the best movie to demo for the fact you have to "explain the picture quality". But, it sure is one of the best to demo for sound............makes you remember why you spent all that money on subwoofers.

·
Registered
665 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo1965 /forum/post/0

TVs always ship with default values for brightness and contrast way too high. If the TV has a movie/cinema mode, use that. Ideally calibrate brightness/contrast yourself using the sony "7669" test screens.

Hey thats part of my handle
. What are the odds?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.