Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
LCD experts, help!

A friend is driving his Sanyo PLC-XP21N (packaged as a Proxima 9260+) projector, an XGA LCD unit, on its VGA/computer input with a HTPC equipped with an ATI Radeon AIW Pro video card. The DVD picture quality is suffering. It looks grainy and splotchy, especially with non moving parts of the image, for example, something like a wall in the background. Really colorful DVDs such as The Fifth Element look passable, but discs such as Fight Club don’t look very good. It almost looks like severe MPEG artifacting or a really misadjusted gamma setting – but fiddling with the gamma setting in the overlay controls for the player did not help. He has two players installed, Theater Tek and PowerDVD, and both produce poor picture quality.

His video card resolution is set to 1024 X 768, @ 60 Hz. Other settings, such as brightness, contrast, saturation, and hue, are at normal settings – maybe not optimal, but not misadjusted enough to cause the poor pq that I’m seeing.

My suspicion is that the projector’s internal scaling / processing is being engaged. This unit’s manual makes confusing references about its component input being the only one that is progressive (?). In its menu selection, there is a segment called “PC Settings,†with fields labeled “horizontal lines,†“total dots,†“horizontal scale,†etc. Except for the resolution setting, which was set to 1024 X 768, the other entries in this menu area didn’t make much sense. For example, “horizontal lines†was set to 806 and “total dots†was set to around 1350. This makes no sense to me… shouldn’t horizontal lines be the same as the vertical resolution, 768? And “total dots,†which was described as “the number of dots in one horizontal pass†(or something like that)… shouldn’t that reflect the horizontal resolution, 1024? I tried setting these to 768 and 1024, but as I approached 1024 for “total dots,†a bunch of unstable lines would suddenly appear in the image.

I’ve seen excellent DVD pq from XGA LCD projectors that have inferior specs to this one. I know that artifacting can occur with the use of the internal processor, and that to get the best results, a digital projector must be driven at its native resolution with no use of its internal processor. How can I know that the internal processor is defeated?

Thanks,

Steve

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.