AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My original Xbox 360 RROD'd a couple of years ago, and I sent it in for a warranty repair. Now, the replacement unit just RROD'd on me again. They tell me now I have to pay $100 to fix it. I thought the 3-year extended warranty on RROD was from the replacement box, but Xbox support says no, it's from the original purchase. Thus, even though the replacement unit lasted just a year, I have to pay. You'd think a box Microsoft is positioning as the center of your living room would be reliable.

I don't know whether to just pay for the repair, buy a whole new console or just get a PS3. The first two options means I'm vulnerable to RROD again. The last option means my big library of games is obsolete.

My console was the elite unit with a 20GB drive. If I buy an Arcade, will it be a Jasper? Can I stick my old drive on it and retain my profile and achievements?

What would you do in my situation? I feel badly treated by Microsoft and want to leave this relationship, but can't.

Also, does anyone buy RROD'd systems or should I put my console in the dumpster?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Odds are it will be a Jasper and your 20GB will work fine.

I would buy a new one and throw the old one in the trash.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Just the opposite my good sir.

As long as you've got your reference number from your first RROD call: 1-888-236-0927

If you don't have your repair number and want to buy a new console then yes all your stuff will still be there as long as you've got your hard drive. You'll have to go through the re-lisencing process for any DLC and choose 'download again' from your history but otherwise all your stuff will be in tact. I believe there's people on ebay that do buy RROD'd systems.

Though I'm curious as to how you have an elite with a 20 gig hard drive?

Buying a PS3 makes you vulnerable to the YLOD and a Blu-ray drive failure. If you really want to see poor support go ahead and buy one. Sony is the worst company on the entire planet. I just got done spending a year trying to get my PS3 fixed out of warranty as I had 4 PS2's and 2 PS1's fail on me and wasn't giving them any more money as that's just not acceptable. The fact is from the lowest rep to the highest exec (filed BBB complaint for constant poor product + e-mailed 16 Sony execs) they don't give a crap,after e-mailing the execs they call and tell me my previous system failures don't matter because they were different systems with different parts and that I could just go ahead and buy a Wii/Samsung Blu-ray player. That's the **** treatment a 15 year customer that buys 40 games a year gets. What do you think you'd get?

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
We all have different feelings about our consoles, and personnally, I treat my Xbox like any other 'disposable' device. People buy new cell phones every couple or years (or less) and spend way more doing so. You got > 3 years out of your Xbox, and have a game library that probably retails for more than the price of a new console. Absolutely it is annoying that the hardware has a great failure rate, but in the end, I think MS has been etra-ordinary in the way they handled the RRoD, and the support they have provided. Extending the warrentee to 3 years and including door to door shipping is great customer service. Yes they should have made better hardware, and it seems that the latest chipset has improved the RROD issue.

The other thing to consider, is that there is a very good chance, that in 3 years (the lenght of wareentee for RRoD), the next Xbox will be available so getting a new Arcade, slapping on your old HDD, consider doing a liscence transfer for arcade games/DLC, and you should be set till the next generatioon.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
hmmm... I thought replacement xboxes had an additional year. bummer. I also had my original die and replaced with a box that eventually RROD'd. By I was lucky and my extended warranty still had another month. I put in a repair request and was told my box was out of warranty. Xbox.com even noted I was out of warranty. I insisted my extended was still in effect and they relented and waived the $99 replacement fee. If I had to replace, I would have done what others have suggested, Arcade and reuse the old hard drive.

·
Registered
4,380 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by deveng /forum/post/18280817

We all have different feelings about our consoles, and personnally, I treat my Xbox like any other 'disposable' device. People buy new cell phones every couple or years (or less) and spend way more doing so. You got > 3 years out of your Xbox, and have a game library that probably retails for more than the price of a new console. Absolutely it is annoying that the hardware has a great failure rate, but in the end, I think MS has been etra-ordinary in the way they handled the RRoD, and the support they have provided. Extending the warrentee to 3 years and including door to door shipping is great customer service. Yes they should have made better hardware, and it seems that the latest chipset has improved the RROD issue.

The other thing to consider, is that there is a very good chance, that in 3 years (the lenght of wareentee for RRoD), the next Xbox will be available so getting a new Arcade, slapping on your old HDD, consider doing a liscence transfer for arcade games/DLC, and you should be set till the next generatioon.

Interesting point. If someone got 3 years out of their PC, they probably wouldn't be too upset, and PCs typically cost as much or more than an xbox. The xbox is essentially a computer, not only by design, but by use as well. You buy software for it and everything. It's funny that we fully expect them to outlast out PCs.

I guess we just have this expectation that our video game consoles should last at least until the next new system is available from that manufacturer. This is what previous consoles have taught us, so we expect it.

And then the real killer here is that it's a widespread and documented failure that is a design fault. PCs with a problem like this don't get as much attention because there are so many models that the userbase for each is relatively small, and in addition, people have been taught for years that they just don't last that long and need to be replaced, so if it dies after 3 years, most people don't even blink.

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
I think it's unfortunate how we've lowered our expectations for how long a console should last, that we have come to consider 3 years a good shelf life for something many of us paid $300-400 for. That isn't a drop in the bucket, it's an investment. And one you expect to last longer than 2-3 years. The cell phone analogy doesn't quite hold up because alot of people who buy cellphones every year do so simply because they want to have the latest phone. The cellphone craze is ridiculous imo.

Anyways, that's different from having to replace a console multiple times within 5 years because of its faulty design. The issue of more moving parts aside, I have a Super Nintendo and Nintendo 64, which both work as perfectly as the day I bought them (cartridge blowing aside). My dreamcast works perfectly. Why should I pray for the best when it comes to the current consoles? I understand that there's always the odd lemon that pops up. But a widespread issue that is the result of slack durability testing for the purpose of rushing to market ahead of your competition doesn't sit too well with me, whether Microsoft extended the warranty to 3 years or 10 years is besides the point. That's merely saving face so that you can continue pumping your hard-earned cash into their products. I'd be very slow to buy the 720 until I see that Microsoft has learned from this generation about releasing faulty hardware, and applies those lessons going forward. Ditto if there have been issues with the PS3( YLOD), though I've been fortunate to not have any issues as yet with my 60gb( knock on wood).

·
Registered
3,000 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill McNeal /forum/post/18280535

My console was the elite unit with a 20GB drive. If I buy an Arcade, will it be a Jasper? Can I stick my old drive on it and retain my profile and achievements?

Unless your Xbox is black and was sold with a larger drive which you aren't currently using, you're probably talking about a "Pro", rather than an "Elite". In any case, it is unfortunately true that the Xbox and Xbox 360 do not have the longevity of some other consoles. A PlayStation 2 might have no issues after 10 years of use, while the DVD drives frequently start acting up on both the Xbox and Xbox 360 after just a few. With that being said, the Xbox 360 is still an excellent console.

You can use your old hard drive on a new console without any real issues. It is recommended you perform the "License Migration" process so that you don't have problems when not connected to Xbox Live. The migration process involves using Microsoft's website, then using your download history to re-download a tiny set of DRM keys for each piece of content you've previously downloaded and still care about.

http://www.xbox.com/support/systemus...ensemigration/

·
Registered
611 Posts
Both times my systems RROD'd, I bought new and sold the refurb/replacement. (I actually upgraded both times as well) New three year warranty and and got more then half off the replacements by selling the replaced units. (Sold with all of the new packaging, new cables/controllers etc...)

The Launch unit lasted a little over two years, and the second system I bought lasted 2 years and a day exactly. I'm hoping this new elite will last me til the next system release. (If not, guess I'll be upgrading to the 250gig model)

·
Registered
178 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonyeuw /forum/post/18283982

I think it's unfortunate how we've lowered our expectations for how long a console should last, that we have come to consider 3 years a good shelf life for something many of us paid $300-400 for. That isn't a drop in the bucket, it's an investment. And one you expect to last longer than 2-3 years. The cell phone analogy doesn't quite hold up because alot of people who buy cellphones every year do so simply because they want to have the latest phone. The cellphone craze is ridiculous imo.

Anyways, that's different from having to replace a console multiple times within 5 years because of its faulty design. The issue of more moving parts aside, I have a Super Nintendo and Nintendo 64, which both work as perfectly as the day I bought them (cartridge blowing aside). My dreamcast works perfectly. Why should I pray for the best when it comes to the current consoles? I understand that there's always the odd lemon that pops up. But a widespread issue that is the result of slack durability testing for the purpose of rushing to market ahead of your competition doesn't sit too well with me, whether Microsoft extended the warranty to 3 years or 10 years is besides the point. That's merely saving face so that you can continue pumping your hard-earned cash into their products. I'd be very slow to buy the 720 until I see that Microsoft has learned from this generation about releasing faulty hardware, and applies those lessons going forward. Ditto if there have been issues with the PS3( YLOD), though I've been fortunate to not have any issues as yet with my 60gb( knock on wood).

Heck, I've got an Odyssey 2 game system from the 70's that still runs like a champ...

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
Shyt happens.

Suck it up. Spend $199 (or less with a coupon from Dell.com) on a new Arcade. Make sure you get a Jasper.

·
Registered
10,258 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonyeuw /forum/post/18283982

Lets be realistic here. Your **insert whatever console from the 1990s** still works because it wasnt designed to do much. Its designed to do 1 thing. Play 1 cartridge based game, on 1 analog TV, thru 1 analog video connection. How much can really go wrong their when its does so little to start with.

Its 2010 man. Every piece of electronic gear is a 100x more advanced than what we saw in the 90's. Sure stability and reliability are still concerns.. but the more features you add.. the more can go wrong. And if you dont agree.. then put your money where you mouth is dump your 360 or PS3.. and go back to playing your Super Nintendo, N64 and Dreamcast. Let me know how long that lasts.

Theres plenty of people pulling the "Well Im never going to give them my money again" card. When its BS, easy to say much harder to do. We are on AVS forum because we are AVS nerds and love new AV technology. If a new Xbox720 is announced next year, and debuts at a reasonable price.. AVS'ers are going to jump on it. AVS'ers are simply not going to sit around playing their 5 year old 360's and 4 year old PS3's.. when the latest and greatest is available for $399, has more features, is backwards compatible and everybody is raving about how great the newest games play on it.

BTW The cellphone analogy was perfect. Even worse most cellphones only come with a 1 year warranty and if you drop it or get it wet.. warranty doesnt apply.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Well just thinking of as helping the economy and being green (the new boxes use less power).

·
Registered
947 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daekwan /forum/post/18286339

Lets be realistic here. Your **insert whatever console from the 1990s** still works because it wasnt designed to do much. Its designed to do 1 thing. Play 1 cartridge based game, on 1 analog TV, thru 1 analog video connection. How much can really go wrong their when its does so little to start with.

Its 2010 man. Every piece of electronic gear is a 100x more advanced than what we saw in the 90's. Sure stability and reliability are still concerns.. but the more features you add.. the more can go wrong. And if you dont agree.. then put your money where you mouth is dump your 360 or PS3.. and go back to playing your Super Nintendo, N64 and Dreamcast. Let me know how long that lasts.

Theres plenty of people pulling the "Well Im never going to give them my money again" card. When its BS, easy to say much harder to do. We are on AVS forum because we are AVS nerds and love new AV technology. If a new Xbox720 is announced next year, and debuts at a reasonable price.. AVS'ers are going to jump on it. AVS'ers are simply not going to sit around playing their 5 year old 360's and 4 year old PS3's.. when the latest and greatest is available for $399, has more features, is backwards compatible and everybody is raving about how great the newest games play on it.

BTW The cellphone analogy was perfect. Even worse most cellphones only come with a 1 year warranty and if you drop it or get it wet.. warranty doesnt apply.

How's the new house in Washington, state that is. Neighbors with Mr Gates I gather from the above diatribe. You are 100% spot on.

Initially the failure rate concerned me. After owning a 360 for over two years, any dollar spent on having a working console is money well spent. Period. I thoouroughly love the 360 experience. It's giving me great fun during hard times in my life. I've meet tons of cool net friends to game with every night. I tell everyone my 360 and Live is like my bowling league. it's what I do to interact and entertain.

I've had three xboxes so far. the latest was an elite which got the dreaded E74. Called Best buy to find out they had no record of my extended warranty purchase as this unit was also a replacement. I purchased an arcade to replace it. Jasper FTW... I plan to send the old elite to MS pay $100 - 150 to get it repaired and set it back for a backup. That's what I would recommend to anyone who has a failure outside the warranty period. $100 for peice of mind that when the arcade blows up (and it will) i can jump right back in and play.

Xboxes are like motorcycle riders... Those that have and those that will.

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
Yes, considering the amount of use that most Xbox 360s get, $100 is a small price to pay to be able to keep enjoying that. I would agree that we shouldn't have to pay that price (i.e. it shouldn't break!), but all other things being equal, I see it as part of the cost of owning an Xbox 360.

My wife actually bought me a new Xbox 360 for our anniversary because my current unit periodically does the, "What disc? There's no disc in the drive!" thing where it won't even spin the game disc. She figured it was worthwhile for me to have a new unit if I kept having to fight with and scream at the old one, perhaps moving the old one to backup status.

·
Registered
947 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slordak /forum/post/18287458

Yes, considering the amount of use that most Xbox 360s get, $100 is a small price to pay to be able to keep enjoying that. I would agree that we shouldn't have to pay that price (i.e. it shouldn't break!), but all other things being equal, I see it as part of the cost of owning an Xbox 360.

My wife actually bought me a new Xbox 360 for our anniversary because my current unit periodically does the, "What disc? There's no disc in the drive!" thing where it won't even spin the game disc. She figured it was worthwhile for me to have a new unit if I kept having to fight with and scream at the old one, perhaps moving the old one to backup status.

you are very lucky. not for the extra xbox but for the awesome wife.

·
Registered
3,143 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daekwan /forum/post/18286339

I don't see how the cellphone analogy applies here in relation to MY argument. I have a friend who habitually buys the newest Blackberry every year for no other reason than he has to have the latest. Whatever..... that's his prerogative. That's an entirely different scenario from someone having to replace or repair a system that was initially released as a faulty product. Two completely different scenarios.

I can appreciate that technology is greater. Having said that, let's expand your theory beyond games. That nice new shiny LCD TV you bought a couple years ago, did you buy it expecting it to give you several years of enjoyment, or were you praying to whatever God you believe in that the TV didn't conk out after 3 years? Technology is evolving, but that doesn't mean our expectations for how long that technology lasts should drop. Who the heck bought a $599 PS3 at launch NOT expecting it to last at least the duration of this console cycle? Who here bought a $399 launch xbox 360 expecting to have to replace it 3 and 4 times because it's design was faulty to begin with? That's mainly what I'm getting at here. Come on mate, we're all consumers here. We should be pushing companies for the quality and life cycle of products to be consistent with what we've had in the past, not make excuses for why they don't last as long as they used to because the technology is better. I guess at this rate of technology evolution relating to product life cycle, I would be lucky to get 6 months use out of the PS5 before I have to replace it? And I never said anything about not giving them my money again. I said I would be slow to buy the next console in the xbox line( 720) until I've seen that it wasn't released as a ticking time bomb like the first 360s.

And no, not everyone who comes here is a tech nerd. I am a fan of technology, but I don't have the pulsing urge to buy every piece of technology that hits the market. I mainly hang around the gaming forums for mature discussion about the games that interest me, because I can't get that at places like IGN and Gamefaqs.

·
Registered
185 Posts
My Genesis still works so yes I fully expected my PS3 and 360 to still be working by the time the next one came out and that for their systems to be backed up by the companies should they not. MS did,Sony didn't (no suprise after the PS2 DRE's). I really am never buying another piece of Sony electronics but there's 3 other options ya know. I never really upgraded my 360. I needed a 120 gig hard drive but it's still the pro model.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
I think it's unfortunate how we've lowered our expectations for how long a console should last, that we have come to consider 3 years a good shelf life for something many of us paid $300-400 for. That isn't a drop in the bucket, it's an investment. And one you expect to last longer than 2-3 years.

Amen, no matter how many excuses people make it's still a HUGE disappointment.

If it was advertised as having an expected shelf life of 3 years I wonder how many people would have plunked down the initial $300. bucks or $200. for that matter.

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
So stop bytching about it and sell it. Noone is forcing you to buy one or keep one.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts