AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering how much of an impact a wire stripping job has on the quality of sound.

The wires that I'm using now were stripped using a wire cutter, and I had to rip open the plastic insultation with my hands, so it came out to be a mess. I have like, 2 inches of bare wire at the end, even though I think the recommended is around an inch. Also, I remember cutting the wires too deep so I accidentally cut out strands of wire inside.

How bad is this?

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
In electrical terms, not bad at all. You essentially have a smaller gauge at the end of the cable. That will increase the total resistance of the cable a very small amount.

In mechanical terms, not good. You may have cut some strands, but you likely nicked a lot more. Over time they may break.

A good stripping tool is a useful thing to have around the house.

If the stripped end is too long, just clip off the excess. Too long is more likely to short. You do have wire cutters, right? If not you can use scissors, clipping a few strands at a time.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Agree with DMF on this one. Too easy to short out your receiver if the too long exposed ends are connected there as opposed to the speakers; if they make contact with the metal frame they can give you some grief. Anybody who dabbles in hi-fi equipment needs a good set of wire strippers in the house.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.