AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, Ive seen some of you have the little Nostalgia popcorn popper and was wondering what brand/kind popcorn you use in it? it seems to only pop white popcorn and not yellow for me and doesnt pop the white very well it leaves some corn left over. I use Orville Redenbacher's white corn. Thanks for any help

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
nick2003,

If this is the Nostalgia that is a hot air popper, I cannot help you. It'll only pop the corn with no color or flavor. If it is the kettle popper with the crank, you might be in business...

To get the color, you need the regular oil popper. The color comes from a combination of Flavocal (very fine orange colored salt) and coconut oil (also colored as well). A lot of us purchase Mega Pop popcorn prepacks, where the corn, Flavocal, and oil are all premeasured into a single pack. I get mine from my local Gold Medal popcorn distributor . There are other places to get it - just do a search. Now you may have a problem with the prepacks. If you have the 2 oz model, the prepacks won't work because they only make 6 oz packs and larger. YOu would have to mix your own. Still not a huge problem. Sam's Club sells the Flavocal and the coconut oil. You just have to read the directions and do the math - then tweek it to your taste.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the help pam, I do have the hot air popper :( Which one do you suggest i buy that can be used with the prepacks? Thanks

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
I don't know your budget, but have you looked at the powerbuy on poppers going on for another week?

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Them are kind of expensive for how much i would use it.

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
I use the "Stir Crazy" popper myself - until I finish my mudroom - err - Wheel-O- Rama Atrium remodel! You can get them at Target and other B & M stores as well as online. Under $30 fo the 6 oz version. It uses the 6 oz prepacks. To keep the freshly popped corn from getting chewy, you need to not keep it in the bowl after you pop it (the lid turns into a bowl). I use a large (11 x 18") aluminum cake pan to spread it out so it'll dry out.

I hope this helps! BTW, I can take the Stir Crazy anywhere, like my boys' schools and pop corn for their classes - they love it!

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow that looks like it would be perfect for me thanks for the suggestion. By the way i love your theater it looks amazing, The color theme is great

·
Registered
760 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by nick2003
Them are kind of expensive for how much i would use it.
I had one of those air poppers and it was bland, so I used it rarely. Then I got an oil popper from Stargate Cinema (the powerbuy) and I have loved it, and use it all the time. Just keep it in mind :)

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was looking at the 4 oz popper but it says its not availible

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by nick2003
Wow that looks like it would be perfect for me thanks for the suggestion. By the way i love your theater it looks amazing, The color theme is great
Thanks! We were just featured in our local paper this past week as a DIY project winner. Grand prize? $500 to Home Depot:D

·
Registered
244 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by PamW
To keep the freshly popped corn from getting chewy, you need to not keep it in the bowl after you pop it (the lid turns into a bowl). I use a large (11 x 18") aluminum cake pan to spread it out so it'll dry out.

whoa daddio ummm mommyio?

thanks for the info, I thought it was just me that thought the popcorn was squishy. how long do you keep it there for?

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by dty

thanks for the info, I thought it was just me that thought the popcorn was squishy. how long do you keep it there for?
Once we pop it, we immediately pour it into the pan and leave it there. It makes it easy to scoop out from the pan, too.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I just bought one of the stir crazy poppers, That thing is awsome makes just like movie theater popcorn :)

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
forgot to say i got it at target and they had a microwave stand that has a shelf up top and a part below it with a cupboard and it was on sale for $14 bucks sweet deal and works perfect for the popcorn popper :)

·
Registered
6,226 Posts
Get some Megapop, and then you can truely join the buttery side of the force.Join me and I will complete your popcorn training!!It is the only way!

God, is this what watching Star Wars with your kids does to you...Got to get some sleep.

brickie

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks brickie, Do you know where it can be bought online? Or maybe sams club has it?

·
Registered
6,226 Posts
Online searching should turn up a few sources.I buy locally thru a concession dealer near me..You may want to look in phone book and call a few if you got em close by.Sam's carries a different brand.

brickie

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by brickie
Get some Megapop, and then you can truely join the buttery side of the force.Join me and I will complete your popcorn training!!It is the only way!

brickie
LOL:D :D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.