AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
I received my PCH A-410U from Cloud Media last week (direct from Hong Kong). My understanding is that the only difference between the A-410 and the US version ("U") is Dolby licensing. It plays all my blu ray rips nicely, no stutter, over CAT-5 on my network running NFS Server (Hanewin). I use passthrough to my receiver via optical audio for all the tracks but I will be upgrading to an HDMI 2.0 receiver fairly soon when 4K Blu-Ray comes out. The desktop shortcuts are the bomb, from power on of the system to movie watching in less than 10 seconds (kids and wife love it).

·
Registered
3,224 Posts
I received my PCH A-410U from Cloud Media last week (direct from Hong Kong). My understanding is that the only difference between the A-410 and the US version ("U") is Dolby licensing. It plays all my blu ray rips nicely, no stutter, over CAT-5 on my network running NFS Server (Hanewin). I use passthrough to my receiver via optical audio for all the tracks but I will be upgrading to an HDMI 2.0 receiver fairly soon when 4K Blu-Ray comes out. The desktop shortcuts are the bomb, from power on of the system to movie watching in less than 10 seconds (kids and wife love it).
Where did you order from? Cloudmedia is still giving me the 9,999 shipping price.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I received an email from them offering the product after I had completed about that shipping error price. Just email them..

·
Registered
323 Posts
Here's the email:

Thank you for contacting Cloud Media Sales Team.

Currently, we are in  the midst of preparing for the for the item of Popcorn Hour A-410U United States Version.

Kindly advice if you are interested on this item?

Here is the price details:

1.Popcorn Hour A-410U = USD 259

2.WN-160P Wireless USB = USD 14.99

3.Shipping cost to ship 1unit ot Popcorn Hour A-410U and WN-160P Wireless USB to Unites States is USD 19.95.

Please provide us with the details as below so that we may help to process for your order:

1.Item to purchase:

2.Quantity to purchase:

3.Name:

4.Shipping address:

5.Contact number:

6.Paypal account email address:

Look forward to hear from you again for further execution.

Thanks.

Regards,
The Cloud Media Sales Team 

(formally known as Popcorn Hour)

www.cloudmedia.com

·
Registered
3,224 Posts
Here's the email:

Thank you for contacting Cloud Media Sales Team.

Currently, we are in the midst of preparing for the for the item of Popcorn Hour A-410U United States Version.

Kindly advice if you are interested on this item?

Here is the price details:

1.Popcorn Hour A-410U = USD 259

2.WN-160P Wireless USB = USD 14.99

3.Shipping cost to ship 1unit ot Popcorn Hour A-410U and WN-160P Wireless USB to Unites States is USD 19.95.

Please provide us with the details as below so that we may help to process for your order:

1.Item to purchase:

2.Quantity to purchase:

3.Name:

4.Shipping address:

5.Contact number:

6.Paypal account email address:

Look forward to hear from you again for further execution.

Thanks.

Regards,
The Cloud Media Sales Team

(formally known as Popcorn Hour)

www.cloudmedia.com
Cool - thanks!

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I wonder what it would cost to return a defective unit. A friend of mine got one of those players from DVD Fab that was a Piece of Crap that they said they would RMA but would have cost $80 to ship with tracking otherwise it still would have been $30 with no guarantee that they will ever get it.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I wonder what it would cost to return a defective unit. A friend of mine got one of those players from DVD Fab that was a Piece of Crap that they said they would RMA but would have cost $80 to ship with tracking otherwise it still would have been $30 with no guarantee that they will ever get it.
I don't know, shipping to hong Kong can't be cheap. That being said, I've owned three popcorn hour machines and have never had a premature failure. Firmware updates are not as frequent as I would prefer but they don't abandon even their oldest products, unlike Samsung. They are very responsive and the community support at networkmediatank.com is excellent.

·
UHD Addict
37,248 Posts
I think they used to have support in the US. When the A400 came out two years ago I had an issue with one of the USB ports that came disconnected from the Motherboard. At that time I had sent it somewhere in the US to be fixed. That was when I bought a second A400, used, from someone here at AVS. After that issue with the USB port I bought USB extenders to use on both my boxes so I wouldn't need to connect/disconnect USB drives directly from the USB port. I think it was the side port I had the issue with.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
side port was always weak on the boards. if you buy it from diamond they should handle your RMA's as far as I know. Otherwise yes if it needs repair you are stuck paying shipping but its usually like 20$ something.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Well, just pulled the trigger last night! My A-410U should be shipped with the rest of the orders on December 5th they said. I am excited to compare this unit against my Mede8er and hopefully decide to sell the Mede8er and enjoy some Popcorn Hour!

·
Registered
323 Posts
Does this thing support ARC and CEC? ISO bluray playback?
I don't believe the popcorn hour supports ARC or CEC controls from the television. That being said if you have a universal remote like a Logitech Harmony it works fine, all of the program keys are available and can be set up with designated activities. it does support Blu-ray iso.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
It supports some CEC controls but its pretty hit and miss.

ARC has nothing to do with the PCH. ARC all comes from your AVR the PCH is a device that sounds it so it will always send audio out.

iso plays but without menu

·
Registered
358 Posts
I was reading on networkmediatank about how the 410 has a Dolby TrueHD audio skipping issue? Thats pretty terrible news. Any word if this is going to be fixed in the next firmware?

·
UHD Addict
37,248 Posts
That is surprising since my A400's have been solid playing back DOlby True HD and DTS-HD MA. EVen using the Akira 25th anniversary ISO. My A400's are rock solid playing back the 5.1, 192Khz DOlby True HD Japanese track and the 5.1, 96 Khz DOlby True HD ENglish track.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
I was reading on networkmediatank about how the 410 has a Dolby TrueHD audio skipping issue? Thats pretty terrible news. Any word if this is going to be fixed in the next firmware?
The problem came in a recent firmware. I dont know what firmware the A410u is shipping with. So for a400 owners they can just downgrade and be fine I dont know about the 410u though.

·
UHD Addict
37,248 Posts
The problem came in a recent firmware. I dont know what firmware the A410u is shipping with. So for a400 owners they can just downgrade and be fine I dont know about the 410u though.
I'm on the current firmware and have not run into any issues yet. Supposedly Star Trek Into Darkness can cause an issue so I am going to try playing that back tonight. The last time I played it I had no problems but that was with a previous firmware.WIth the current firmware I've played back the Akira BD ISO in japanese and English. Both with high bitrate Dolby True HD and it was fine.

·
UHD Addict
37,248 Posts
I watched it last night. Twice there was a quick blip, like one tenth of a second with the audio. I would have never even noticed it if I wasn't paying attention. The only issue I really had was one time the audio dropped for maybe half a second. And I'm not even sure if this was because of the A400 since I was streaming it off of a PC instead of one of my unRAIDs like I normally would. And it happened when I had started doing a bunch of stuff on the PC.

21 - 40 of 81 Posts