AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Trying to figure out which one of these is the best for me. Aside from the physical options (SATA drive, BD drive, SD card slot, LCD display, etc.) they appear to be the same spec wise.

The Smart H1 (I don't really care about drive options so I'm looking at the cheapest (at least on duneplayer.com) Dune, the H1) supports Real3D while the C200 supports MKV3D...not sure what that means/what the diff is.

The Smart H1 supports 24p output while the C200 doesn't?

Am I missing any other differences here? How does firmware stability and update frequency compare between the two companies? From what I can gather on this forum, the Dune products have a better track record regarding f/w stability but PCH has finally caught up and has a product that is just as solid?

Thanks,

>glc.

·
Registered
11,822 Posts
Both players support 3D (mkv or other), but keep in mind that this is not Blu-ray 3D. The difference betwee. Dune and PCH is that the PCH can auto change you display to 3D when playing a 3D file, whereas with the Dune you have to manually change your TV settings. Once again though, this is not Blu-ray 3D.

Otherwise they are very similar players. Most people use YAMJ + some skin as their jukebox for PCH. For Dune most people use Zappiti, yaDIS, My Movies as their jukebox. I personally have had a better experience with the Dunes then with the PCH (in terms of reliability). They both support 24p. One other thing to note, the PCH cannot downmix standalone TrueHD. This was a bug introduced a while ago that hasn't been fixed the last time i checked (someone pls correct me if this is no longer accurate)

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
I just bought a PCH C200, and I was in your predicament two weeks ago. I really like the PCH, but I'm just getting into the thing because it can do so much. I really like the specs and physical appearance of the Dune, but my deciding factor was Amazon getting new stock in with free shipping. I figured this would make my any possible return easier to deal with.

·
Registered
11,822 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr6966 /forum/post/20841999

I just bought a PCH C200, and I was in your predicament two weeks ago. I really like the PCH, but I'm just getting into the thing because it can do so much. I really like the specs and physical appearance of the Dune, but my deciding factor was Amazon getting new stock in with free shipping. I figured this would make my any possible return easier to deal with.

Did you get a jukebox such as YAMJ up and running yet, or are you going to try and use their internal jukebox (NMJ)?

·
Registered
7,061 Posts
Questions on Dune and Zappiti/yaDIS:
  • Is Zappiti more preferred for Dune like YAMJ is for PCH?
  • I use EmberMM-R to manage my jukebox (with some manual edits to NFO's), and it works well (universally) for my PCH, Boxee Box and XBMC (ATV2) setup. If I go with Dune/Zappiti, is it a completely new jukebox setup?
  • I assume hd audio and forced subs work w/o any issues within MKVs? (It seems Dune owners use ISO more than MKV)

·
Registered
11,822 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brajesh /forum/post/20842444

Questions on Dune and Zappiti/yaDIS:
  • Is Zappiti more preferred for Dune like YAMJ is for PCH?
  • I use EmberMM-R to manage my jukebox (with some manual edits to NFO's), and it works well (universally) for my PCH, Boxee Box and XBMC (ATV2) setup. If I go with Dune/Zappiti, is it a completely new jukebox setup?

1) Zappiti is probably the most followed but I don't exactly have numbers to support this. I personally prefer Zappiti over My Movies or yaDIS

2) Zappiti gathers its own metadata. It will use backdrop.jpg if present but otherwise no other metadata that you have grabbed with others programs will be applied

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 /forum/post/20841138

Both players support 3D (mkv or other), but keep in mind that this is not Blu-ray 3D. The difference betwee. Dune and PCH is that the PCH can auto change you display to 3D when playing a 3D file, whereas with the Dune you have to manually change your TV settings. Once again though, this is not Blu-ray 3D.

Ok then either way I should be fine since I have to manually enable 3D on my TV regardless (older TV with external box). I don't watch 3D content that often anyway and I do have a Samsung 3D BR player if I want to watch commerical 3D BR movies. I was just curious about the details and I guess its a nice feature to have for down the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 /forum/post/20841138

One other thing to note, the PCH cannot downmix standalone TrueHD. This was a bug introduced a while ago that hasn't been fixed the last time i checked (someone pls correct me if this is no longer accurate)

I should be ok on this front as well. While my AVR is a bit older it's recent enough to support HD audio decoding (at least it works with my Samsung BR player) so no need for me to downmix anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr6966 /forum/post/20841999

I hear you there. Couple unrelated bad purchases recently have me appreciating the friendly return policies (Costco, Amazon, etc.) more and more. But from what I've read I think I will be pretty safe with either purchase. Main use would be for playing back my 1080i JVC camcorder files and BR mkv rips down the road. Lately I've been just hooking my camcorder up directly to my AVR for playback of my recordings and that is fine for recent stuff that I haven't gone through yet on my PC but for older recordings that I have on my NAS I just have my Samsung BR player and it sturggles to play them via DLNA. Lots of buffering and audio drops.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.