AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's the real difference between these? I've been reading all day and cant see why I should spend the extra money.

Also once i purchase one of these and load it with the drives what is the easiest and fastest way to get the files onto the installed drives. Going to do two 2tb inside.

·
Registered
6,777 Posts
I used to own a C-200 (when first released), but sold it (as it was very buggy at the time, but probably should've kept it as it's solid now), but just yesterday ordered the A-210 as I don't need a Blu-ray drive or full Blu-ray menus in ISO files.

But, one thing I'm unsure of is support for full Blu-ray menus in ISO files though. If you look at popcornhour.com, it says "Enjoy your blu-ray backup ISO files with no loss of movie quality and interactive menu support. You will never notice that you are actually watching a ISO file." This is on the product pages for both A-200 and A-210. I thought only the C-200 did full menus, with the A-200/210 only doing BD-lite. Maybe someone can clarify this.

Re: adding a hard drive in the A-210, Syabas has instructions on their website .

·
Registered
6,777 Posts
Probably the quicker way is over your wired network. I think PCH uses a Linux EXT3 file system; not sure if you can format the hard drive using the A-210/C-200, then take it out and attach it to your computer to copy your media files over, then put it back in.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I believe Popcorn Hour has ftp and smb. You should be able to ftp your files to the A-210 without removing the drive. I also believe that the smb client will also allow you to use explorer to drag and drop the files.

·
Registered
11,822 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by patpend /forum/post/19602786

I believe Popcorn Hour has ftp and smb. You should be able to ftp your files to the A-210 without removing the drive. I also believe that the smb client will also allow you to use explorer to drag and drop the files.

Yup, this is exactly how I transferred files to the internal drive I have in my C200 and A200, just make sure the samba server is running on the PCH and then you should be able to access on a PC over the network. I think by default the username is "nmt" and password is "1234"

·
Registered
11,822 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brajesh /forum/post/19602480

I used to own a C-200 (when first released), but sold it (as it was very buggy at the time, but probably should've kept it as it's solid now), but just yesterday ordered the A-210 as I don't need a Blu-ray drive or full Blu-ray menus in ISO files.

But, one thing I'm unsure of is support for full Blu-ray menus in ISO files though. If you look at popcornhour.com, it says "Enjoy your blu-ray backup ISO files with no loss of movie quality and interactive menu support. You will never notice that you are actually watching a ISO file." This is on the product pages for both A-200 and A-210. I thought only the C-200 did full menus, with the A-200/210 only doing BD-lite. Maybe someone can clarify this.

Re: adding a hard drive in the A-210, Syabas has instructions on their website .

The C200 supports BluRay menus, the A200/A210 supports BD Lite. However, there are some BluRays where the A200/A210 will actually show the full menus, I forget exactly what it was (possibly for movies that don't have java/bd live)?

·
Registered
6,777 Posts
As another option, can't the A-200 (I assume A-210 as well) be flashed with the C-200 firmware, then just add an external BD-ROM drive to get full Blu-ray playback? Thought I read somewhere you could do this.

·
Registered
877 Posts
You can flash an A200 or 210 wirh C200 firmware but it still won't be able to read bluray iso's with a full menu-just the light menu in most cases-there is a difference in the Sigma 8643 chips between the C200 and A210 and 200.

·
Registered
11,822 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zrdb /forum/post/19604354

You can flash an A200 or 210 wirh C200 firmware but it still won't be able to read bluray iso's with a full menu-just the light menu in most cases-there is a difference in the Sigma 8643 chips between the C200 and A210 and 200.

Also, keep in mind aside from killing the warranty there is no going back, once you flash to the C200 you can't then flash back to the A200/210.

Something real strange, someone who I was talking to on one of my writeups say they bought a new A200 that came with the C200 fw (any time they tried to update to the latest A200 fw it would crap out and tell them they did not have permission to do so). Obviously the A200 purchased was not "new" as the seller warranted. The good news the seller took it back and replaced with the newer A210 (with A210 fw!)

·
Registered
500 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zrdb /forum/post/19604354

I'm not sure about iso's, but my a-200 (flashed with c-200 modded firmware) can and does play BDMV folders with full menu support, with perfect playback.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybarbour
Ordered a c200 with a 2tb samsung hdd and a lg wh10 blu ray drive.
Nice choice. The C200 is a class act though I think the A210 is also really nice. Did you get the internal MN-200 wireless card? That is a really nice wireless 2.4/5GHz device. It's almost as fast as the wired connection in my setup. I use it at 5GHz on a network that is restricted to certain media players. It works better than any other media player wireless that I have tried. Of course wired is preferred if it's there.

The Samsung drives are excellent and quiet too.

philip

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I am new to the whole BD streaming. I am looking for a way to "back up" my movies and stream them wirelessly to my projector.

I have a wireless N2.5/5.

Can I rip a BD to ISO and play it through a PCH with HDMI out in full 1080P with DTS or Dolby HD audio? If so which would be best for full BD quality?

Thank you.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts