AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First, I apologize if this question has been covered before. I did do a bit of searching through both here and Google and was not able to get a 100% clear answer.

I'll start with the question: Does Popcorn Hour see/use DLNA servers? Can it additionally act as sort of a "Media Center Extender"? Or does it just use plain old network folder shares?

I'm running TVersity right now with my PS3 in my living room, which has worked great for me so far. I use MKV2VOB on MKV files and they play like a dream. DVDs are ripped to a single VOB. However, I'm now wanting to access the same library from my bedroom TV. Furthermore, I've thought about trying out Vista Media Center. With all those things said, I would ideally like to find a device that is capable of using both DLNA servers or Media Center as it's library source (notice how I said "ideally"
)

Thanks!

·
Registered
179 Posts
Looks like it has been quite some time since your original post, and no replies... I am after the same answer, as I just got an A-110 and would love to use it as a media extender. I am fairly certain it doesn't do this out of the box, but it seems there is great deal of 3rd party support for the ACH products, so maybe there is some hack or utility that provides this functionality. Thanks in advance to anyone that can answer this...

·
Registered
681 Posts
You can run a uPNP server on your PC, like TVersity, Media Tomb, Nero Home Digital, etc. Heck, Media Player 11 can run as a uPNP server.

Also for Syabas-based devices like the PCH there are streaming servers too, like MyiHome, llink, and wizd.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Thanks, that info was very helpful. So it looks like there a bunch of options, none of which include any mention of Media Center. Basically I am running that latest Windows 7 64-bit on a new Quad box that has a mix of Blu-ray and DVD content on it that I want to stream to the PCH. Also trying to use a movie jukebox UI, and having some issues with YAMJ, but it could be I need to get my network issues resolved first. A couple more questions:

1. My iHome looks interesting... what advantage does it give me over using MCE as a uPNP server?

2. Does My iHome (or other streaming server) provide a jukebox-like UI for the PCH, and support reading Blu-ray from a hard drive?

·
Registered
681 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulox /forum/post/16477264

2. Does My iHome (or other streaming server) provide a jukebox-like UI for the PCH, and support reading Blu-ray from a hard drive?

Someone else can do a much better job of answering your Q1 than I. For Q2 - be aware that as of now there is no menu navigation of Blu-ray on the PCH. All you can do is rip the main movie and play that.

You need to make the distinction between the UI you're presented with on the PCH, and the software that is used to serve up files. They're entirely separate. You point YAMJ at your movie collection and it creates a bunch of html, jpg, and png files. Then to use your jukebox you browse these html files (via local file access, network (CIFS) file access, or MyiHome or other server), rather than browse the bare directory structure. You can play with YAMJ without having a PCH - just generate the files, and browse them with your PC's web browser. The layout isn't exactly the same, but you'll get a good idea of what you can do.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Thanks for the clarifications jhue. I do understand the difference between the UI and fileserving. Maybe someday they will advance the UI enough to contain both. I do like the concept of YAMJ, and I was able to get it semi-working with no hard drive on the PCH, pointing back to a shared directory on my Win7 box. Took some work to get the config correct in security and permissions, but now I think something is hosed up, because when I update it on the Win7 box, I can't see anything in PCH now.

Anyway, now I just installed a 1.5TB drive on the PCH, and ran setup so now I have all of the NMT apps on there. Maybe that will help on the file serving/sharing side of things by giving me more options. I noticed that the JAMJ GUI config tool does not have an option to enter a local path on my Win7 box (see screenshot below). The last option "Jukebox only for my PC" implies that I cannot use the PCH to access the html UI??

·
Registered
681 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulox /forum/post/16480043

I noticed that the JAMJ GUI config tool does not have an option to enter a local path on my Win7 box (see screenshot below). The last option "Jukebox only for my PC" implies that I cannot use the PCH to access the html UI??

I'm not sure what you're asking. If you're setting things up for the PCH, and the movies reside on your Windows machine, then relative to the PCH, your movies are accessed via a network path, so that's what you should choose.

I edit the libraries.xml file to control YAMJ, so I'm unfamiliar with the GUI config tool.

·
Registered
335 Posts
If I equip an A110 with a hard drive, can I use it to serve music to a DLNA equipped receiver like the Yamaha Z7?

I would like to keep my PC out of the loop unless I am pushing content up to the PCH. Is this possible?

·
Registered
179 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhue /forum/post/16480199

I'm not sure what you're asking. If you're setting things up for the PCH, and the movies reside on your Windows machine, then relative to the PCH, your movies are accessed via a network path, so that's what you should choose.

I edit the libraries.xml file to control YAMJ, so I'm unfamiliar with the GUI config tool.

Ok, I finally figured it out. The GUI config tool simply allows you to add multiple libraries from different drives/machines, and then combines that info into a single "My_YAMJ.cmd" file. Basically it's a cmd file creator that contains pointers to all of your different paths (and I have at least 5 right now). Then you run that batch file, which basically scans all of your libraries, then goes out to IMDB to pull down all of your movie poster jpg's and synopsis info, and stores copies in your moviejukebox folder. Then, as you rip new movies, all you need to do is re-run the .cmd batch file to add them to your jukebox UI (as long as they are in one of the same paths).

It's very odd, but even though all of my movies are on my Media server, and my moviejukebox is also on the server, the GUI config tool requires you to have a network share setup on the PCH or it won't let you run the cmd creator. All you are really doing in the end is (on the PCH) browsing your network to find and open the index.htm file, so the whole thing with forcing you to use network shares was confusing and really not needed in the tool.

I just read up a little on how to format the XML files... that seems like a VERY painful and time consuming process, espcially if you have a few hundred movies to go through. I really wanted something automated, like the batch process I mentioned above, although I am finding the scanner is not very accurate at all. It looks like there is a hybrid approach using NFO files that is manual, but nowhere near as time consuming as creating XML files. Going to give that a try for now, but open to any feedback on what method you use with XML. I may reconsider if there is a happy compromise. Thanks

BTW, I use DVD Fab 5 to rip all my movies, and I just noticed an option to creat some kind of xml file, but I am not sure if it's in the format YAMJ uses or not. Anyone know?

·
Registered
681 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulox /forum/post/16486844

It's very odd, but even though all of my movies are on my Media server, and my moviejukebox is also on the server, the GUI config tool requires you to have a network share setup on the PCH or it won't let you run the cmd creator. All you are really doing in the end is (on the PCH) browsing your network to find and open the index.htm file, so the whole thing with forcing you to use network shares was confusing and really not needed in the tool.

The URIs are going to be different if the files are on the PCH's local hard drive, or accessed via CIFS on your server, or accessed through a streaming http server, so I don't understand why you think it's unnecessary to specify where the files reside. How else could the correct URIs to the movie files be generated?

As far as incorrect information - do you have an example of a movie title where this occurs? Perhaps someone will be able to advise you on how to get a higher success rate. Finally, you can download the source to YAMJ, so if you don't like how it works, you can always change it.

·
Registered
179 Posts
jhue, I don't think you follow what I am saying. Forget about the local hard drive on the PCH, just assume I don't even have one in it for now... I am talking about purely accessing my Win7 media server from the PCH. Currently there are 2 ways to do this on the PCH... you can simply access the network browser and drill down to the shared folder on my Win7 box, OR, you can setup a network share (more or less just a shortcut or mapped network drive) on the PCH so it remembers that shared folder(s) you just accessed. These 2 methods are essentially the same type of access from a network standpoint, yet YAMJ forces you to create the mapped share, when all you really need to do is access via network browser. The reason I am making a big deal out of this is because the PCH limits you to 5 network shares (mapped drives) and I need twice that many because my libraries are all over the place.

As for incorrect movie title info, it looks like about 40% of them are wrong, and it appears to be a common occurence, because there is a write-up on how to handle it here: http://code.google.com/p/moviejukebox/wiki/NFO_Files

There is no way you or I are going to fix the problem in code either. Just look at the example in the link... "There will be blood" is ripped as twb_blood so impossible to scan for that.

·
Registered
681 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulox /forum/post/16487338

jThese 2 methods are essentially the same type of access from a network standpoint, yet YAMJ forces you to create the mapped share, when all you really need to do is access via network browser. The reason I am making a big deal out of this is because the PCH limits you to 5 network shares (mapped drives) and I need twice that many because my libraries are all over the place.

There are at least two workarounds for the network share limit. You also don't even need to network shares to access your files. You could run MyiHome and configure YAMJ to generate your jukebox files for streaming access.

·
Registered
681 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulF /forum/post/16485963

If I equip an A110 with a hard drive, can I use it to serve music to a DLNA equipped receiver like the Yamaha Z7?

You can run a uPnP server on the PCH. Whether or not it works with your receiver is another matter. I was able to watch a high-dev WMV file served up by my PCH on my Playstation 3, while the PCH played back SD video. Personally, I'd run a dedicated server. The access to the PCH is more of a convenience to access content stored on it - I wouldn't use it as a server. You can hack a Buffalo Linkstation for that, if all you need is something lightweight and quiet, with low power consumption.

·
Registered
335 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhue /forum/post/16487758

You can run a uPnP server on the PCH. Whether or not it works with your receiver is another matter. I was able to watch a high-dev WMV file served up by my PCH on my Playstation 3, while the PCH played back SD video. Personally, I'd run a dedicated server. The access to the PCH is more of a convenience to access content stored on it - I wouldn't use it as a server. You can hack a Buffalo Linkstation for that, if all you need is something lightweight and quiet, with low power consumption.

Thanks jhue. I will check on the Z7 threads to see if what people have had luck streaming from. I am interested in the PCH for local music/video to my my non Ethernet-equipped pre/pro in the HT room, and then would like to stream over the network to the Yamaha. The Yamaha does not support streamed video, only music... so duties would be light, even for the PCH.

However, do you think I should get a separate media server? How does the Linkstation compare to the Linksys Media Hub. What should I be looking for?

Sorry for the basic questions, digital streaming is still new to me. Please point me to a tutorial if you know of one.

·
Registered
179 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhue /forum/post/16487752

There are at least two workarounds for the network share limit. You also don't even need to network shares to access your files. You could run MyiHome and configure YAMJ to generate your jukebox files for streaming access.

Thanks for the tip... what are the workarounds, or where can I find them? I will definitely take a look at MYiHome too.

·
Registered
681 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulox /forum/post/16489621

Thanks for the tip... what are the workarounds, or where can I find them? I will definitely take a look at MYiHome too.

Actually, now that I reread the postings, I think I was mistaken about what I read. What I was reading about were solutions to merge multiple drives so YAMJ would see them as a single library. It actually didn't remove the five share limit. Also, in case you didn't realize it, the PCH only mounts a single network share at a time. It won't mount multiple network shares at the same time normally.

If you use a streaming server like MyiHome to serve your files rather than file sharing, you won't have the share limit.

If you're willing to get your hands a little dirty, and put a hard drive in the PCH, you can get past the built-in limit of mounting one share at a time, and five shares defined. I just tried to mount seven shares by hand and then play back some content and it worked ok. Supposedly the reason for a single share at a time was to conserve resources, but if you have an internal drive (mandatory for this kind of customization), you've added 512MB of swap space, so I thnk you'd be ok. What you would do first is install the telnet daemon from the CSI, which as a side-effect of installation gives you an easy way to hook your own script into the startup sequence. Then execute all of the mount commands from your script to get all your shares mounted. Your YAMJ libraries.xml file would have to include all the directories containing media files - no more using that dumbed-down GUI front end to YAMJ. By having everything mounted at the same time, you would not need to run mono.wrapper - that wrapper that checks the path and mounts the appropriate share first, before starting the player.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.