AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been doing a lot of research on popcorn poppers and have read a bunch of previous threads on the subject. It seems that initially everyone has been satisfied with their purchase whether it was a 4 oz, 6 oz. or 8 oz. My question is after living with them for some time are you still happy. I am wrestling with 4 vs. 6 oz vs. price vs. styling. Is there anyone out there that bought the 4 and now wishes they bought the 6?

Also I see there was a group purchase through HTE at one time, can anyone give me the model and pricing details so I can have a target to shoot for.

Thanks,

Pat

·
Registered
291 Posts
Pat,

Thanks for posting this question. I'm in a similar boat, may soon purchase one and debating between a 4 oz or 6oz. Hope some good replies come back.

Don

·
Registered
168 Posts
No regrets from me -- I bought an 8 ouncer and have no issues. Cleanup has been a snap, popcorn is terrific, and it really finishes the whole HT experience.

·
Registered
396 Posts
The 4 oz machines are great for the "every now and then" user. They are compact and don't take up much space, but their output is low (about the size of a microwave bag). If you intend to use a popper for parties and gatherings, you should probably consider at least a 6 oz machine. I have a 6 oz in my personal theater and it does well for my consumption needs (about 3-4 times a week). However, when I have a party, it will crank out more volume in a shorter period of time. 8 oz just adds to the volume. the bottom line is that if you'll only use it for yourself, the 4 oz may be fine. But if you plane to use it for parties you may want to hire someone to run it all night so that you can entertain your guests! With the larger machines you just pop 4 or 5 batches and leave the bottom warmer on. The popcorn will stay fresh all night.

Adam

BTW, popcorn from theater style poppers is best served after it has cooled (slightly) and "dried" a bit. Remember, the kernel pops as a result of rapid moisture expansion. That released moisture will get traped in the "chamber" of your popper and it will be re-absorbed by the popcorn. This leads to chewy popcorn. By leaving the bottom heater turned on and the doors open, this will act like a dehydrator and dry your popcorn. The result is warm, crunchy popcorn! Hmmm, maybe I'll go make a batch right now!

·
Registered
348 Posts
i have a creators nite club it is a dressed up gold rush moddle it is nice it is a 6 oz moddle and has a nice design with its black top and tinted etched glass with a light and warmer it is a little more pricey but it is the style you are paying for i love it and i have had it for about a year now i pop 2 batches for when i show a movie and that feeds 5 people

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replys, How about anyone who owns one of the 4 oz units. Is the quality of the machine acceptable? Currently I have found three different 4 oz machines, the 1911 Brand, a Jetstar and one offered by DBEC that I am unsure of the manufacturer This looks like a better built machine than the others. See link.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=1925482785

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
I haven't purchased a popcorn machine yet but when I was doing my reasearch supposedely kettles made out of chrome may rust within one year.

I guess this depends upon use.

I think Gold Medal's website said something about chrome kettles rusting kinda quick.

I don't know if this is true or not.

Just an fyi.

·
Registered
348 Posts
it all depends on the level of crome but the best is the nickle plated steal it has the most even heat and is real good

·
Registered
234 Posts
This IS'NT one of those FANCY popcorn wagon machines like are seen in home theatre interiors magazines you're talking about right? Os

·
Registered
234 Posts
That is a nice one. Not as dressed up as ones I've seen but not junk either. I did'nt know about this version. Years ago, I knew a magician who bought a super fancy popcorn wagon used at some amusement park. Had the little clown figure standing on the machine that worked a crank thing. I think he told me it was very old and no longer made unless replicas are avaliable. Maybe not the type for a theatre. Os

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Somebody out there must own a 4 oz. model. Do you like it or hate it? Would you buy it again?

Pat

·
Registered
112 Posts
I've got the 4 oz. 1911 popper. I got it as part of the group buy in the spring. So far we've probably made 20-30 batches in it and we love it. I'm a big guy 6'2" with proportionally big hands and it hasn't been a real problem to clean it thus far. If they made a 1911 6 oz. model I would've bought it in a heartbeat but they don't. 8 oz was too expensive and we didn't like the styling on the 6 oz models.

All in all I'd buy it again. We don't need the extra capacity of the 6 or 8 oz models for the two of us. Most of the time we just make it for ourselves or 1 to 2 other people. Its plenty for that size crowd. I'd say it makes more than a standard microwave bag though.

I'm happy with it. The only thing that might be nice is a bottom warmer. No such thing in the 4 oz models. My perfect model is a 1911 6 oz with bottom warmer. Since they don't make one, the 4 oz is the next best thing for us and our uses.

Good luck,

Eric

·
Registered
348 Posts
yes the black toped poper on the cart is the one i have it is a great popper real nice has a lite with colored tubes for the light to change the color it is clean and not the cheasey looking i like the simple stuff like clean lines and not to much frutey stuff

·
Registered
200 Posts
I have a mini-jetstar which is a 4 oz. popper with a heated bottom. Which is the only reason I didnt go for the 4 oz. 1911 popper.

I've had it about a year now and it works like a charm. The smaller 4 0z. size seems to work fine for us. I like the size of the unit as it sits atop the counter in our kitchen.

As far as the yield, if I have company over it is no problem to pop an additional 4 oz. so there will be more popcorn ready to serve.

Here's the link:
http://www.star-mfgonline.com/catalo...subcategory=11

Good luck!

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
Os,

It would fit in the lobby but I'm going to get a bar built instead of having someone build a non-mobile stand.

I don't own a popcorn machine yet but I think owning a 4 oz, 6oz or 8oz has to be exciting.

·
Registered
234 Posts
A BAR 'eh? Well then you can make those drinks where you put salt on the rim of the glass so it's kind of like popcorn. I would'nt have a popper because I'm the only one in the theatre most of the time. To date, only 7 people have been in it over the last year. Most did'nt stay for a whole movie. Os

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Eric and Vettster-

I use the 46 oz. popcorn tubs. Do either of you have any experience with how many of those tubs the yield from a single 4 oz. patch would fil up??

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.