AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Harmon Kardon AVR-85, and have been pretty happy with it over the past few years. Reciently when switching modes (i.e. analog audio inputs to optical, stereo to pro-logic, etc.) it makes a rather loud popping noise. Also sometimes static can be heard from the front right channel.

Has anyone else experienced something similar? Is this a cabling problem, or as I fear and suspect, a hardware problem of some sort internal to the amplifier?

If it is an internal problem, is it worth getting repaired, or am I better off looking for a new amp?

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
It might be time to step up to something newer. I have bought 2 H/K 510's off Ubid recently and 1 H/K 310 in a private sale with zero equipment problems. If you like the H/K sound I would strongly advise you consider this...Ubid is even starting to get the 520 and 320 in. 2 year factory warranty AND serviced to proper spec...all at a great discount.

When you factor in the labor costs of repair, even simple ones, it's hard to pass on getting a newer replacement.

My $0.02

·
Registered
632 Posts
I have the AVR 80 and here the popping sound only when switching from digital to analog. Always had it always will as the decoder in the unit does not have a delay when synching to the digital signal. Many early digital AVR's suffered from this. As for the other popping sounds when switching from different analog sources, you got me there.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.