AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guy's

I have Paradigm Signature S6's running off my Classe CA 2200 amp. Last night when i was listening to some tracks from YELLO i heard one of my bass drivers POP..

I had the Volume @ about 75 dB's. Now, when i listen to my other music at this level i get no problems. Could it be that the CD was recorded little HOT that caused my speaker to clip? I noticed the music was recorded louder than my other Cd's.

I listen to my music without the sub. It is @ 2ch bypass (analog)

Now i don't know if this Popping noise is a clip from the Amp or not. The lights on the Amp where fine. Maybe the amp ran out of juice?

The Bass drivers are fine. Nothing blown.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

·
Registered
710 Posts
I highly doubt the Classe ran out of juice at that volume, but it could be possible. I would suspect the cd being too hot and they clipped it a bit while producing it. I have seen clipped waveforms on other cd's while running Audacity to compare waveforms of remastered cds to their originals, not that it is definitive proof.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Did you re-listen to the track? Was the pop the same? Have you listened to the cd through something other than you speakers to see if it's the media itself?

I've had some strange noises in the past, all ended up being media-based. Not to say it isn't your speaker necessarily but theres an easy way to rule it out.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logic_BomB /forum/post/15553410

Did you re-listen to the track? Was the pop the same? Have you listened to the cd through something other than you speakers to see if it's the media itself?

I've had some strange noises in the past, all ended up being media-based. Not to say it isn't your speaker necessarily but theres an easy way to rule it out.

The media is fine. I did listen to the same track over and over again @ about 70 - 72 dB's and no popping sound was reproduced. I am kind of scared to turn it up again, don't want to damage my bass drivers.

I also noticed as i turn the volume up close to 74 db's the cones on the bass drivers come In & Out quite a bit. This is not the case with my other music. That's why i think the CD is recored very HOT.. I thought my Classe amp could handle it but i guess not. The Amp is rated @ 200 watts a channel.

EDIT: I tried the same music @ 75 db's with LFE ON and the front L/R speakers set at SMALL with cross over @ 60hz and no popping sound. When i listen to them at 2ch bypass at full range they will pop..

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
That's some great gear. I doubt that the amp is running out of power, but how big is the room? Does the music track that caused the problem have excessive low bass in it?

I think that the S6's hit their input limit. Speaker specs say something like 15-400 watts...........200 watt input. Look at the specs on the S8's vs. the S6's.

·
Registered
710 Posts
What pre-amp are you using?

Here is a possible answer from Axiom's forum when someone there had a very similar issue. He was running 2 channel and getting popping through his M80's, that went away when he switched to a setting as you did.

"I just had a conversation with Tom Cumberland, our chief R&D engineer who designs all of our electronics, including the A1400.

First, he asked me if you are running a center channel and it seems you are. Do you have it set to "Small"? It should be, because if you have it set to Large, the center can't reproduce low bass and any deep bass routed to the center might cause the woofers in your center to hit the magnet structure, producing the popping noise.

Next, Tom told me that there are several points within the Yamaha where distortion may occur. If an especially "hot" (loud) digital signal hits the Yamaha's DSP processor and if it's so-so, it may not handle the hot signal, causing distortion, which would be fed through to the A1400 and reproduced by the M80s. Another possibility is that even if the Yamaha's processor handles the hot digital signal, the peak in the gain might cause the Yamaha's preamp section to clip, which would also feed through to the A1400/M80s.

Finally, he pointed out that if you don't have a subwoofer and you are listening at levels you quoted of 107 dB SPL, it's possible that the LFE deep bass, which should go to a subwoofer, is going to the M80s and overdriving the M80's woofers so they hit the magnet structure, causing the pop. By the way, that won't damage the M80 drivers--it just makes an unpleasant sound.

As to the Yamaha shutting down, it may well be a product of the DSP board clipping or the preamp section clipping as described above. As JohnK pointed out, the impedance setting should have no effect whatsoever because none of the Yamaha's internal power amplifiers are being used.

Regards,

Alan "

I know you are dealing with gear that is much stronger than listed but the idea is the same.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakewash /forum/post/15554837

What pre-amp are you using?

Finally, he pointed out that if you don't have a subwoofer and you are listening at levels you quoted of 107 dB SPL, it's possible that the LFE deep bass, which should go to a subwoofer, is going to the M80s and overdriving the M80's woofers so they hit the magnet structure, causing the pop. By the way, that won't damage the M80 drivers--it just makes an unpleasant sound.

I know you are dealing with gear that is much stronger than listed but the idea is the same.

Thanks Jake,

I have a Rotel RSP 1068 at the moment as a Pre/Pro. Will upgrade soon.

It makes sense that since i don't use a Subwoofer to listen to music (Only 2ch bypass) all that deep LFE bass from the track goes through the Signature S6's and overdrives the woofers causing a pop. It does make a unpleasant sound. But i am still surprised that it does this around 75dB's. The article is talking about 107 dB's.

Thanks,

·
Registered
710 Posts
IIRC, the owner of the speakers said the noise was there at lower volumes as well, it was even causing an amp to shut down on such passages at lower volumes.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakewash /forum/post/15555454

IIRC, the owner of the speakers said the noise was there at lower volumes as well, it was even causing an amp to shut down on such passages at lower volumes.

It could be my Rotel RSP 1068 Pre/Pro that could be causing the clipping. I will talk to my dealer here and see what they say.

It could be time for the Rotel to go.. Going to look at the Classe SSP 600 or 800. Maybe a better Pre/Pro will solve the problem.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts