AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
See, the part where you bumped one thread... I get that.

The part where you bumped three threads... well, I don't get that.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Very helpful comparison. I'd like to see it expanded to include plasma, and also to add the criteria of shadow detail & black level.

·
Premium Member
1,313 Posts
The photo of the alleged 57HL83 in that article is very definitely a photo

of last year's 57HLX82. That Toshiba set is show with "wings" and a horizontal

seam on the front which allows the front to swing open on hinges to allow

front panel access to the "cubby" for the center-channel speaker.

Word-of-mouth tells us that both of these features are to be removed on

the future models, and the few preliminary photos we've seen of the prototypes

support this.

Of course none of this has any bearing on what was written in the article.

Just nitpicking.

·
Registered
16,730 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by calgary kid
Vapour-vision always looks better:D
Vapour-vision????????

Huh?

Guess Gary doesn't like LCD displays................He also recomends the Hit 51S500 (what In was looking at) for a CRT based, but "with a few dollars more invest in a LCoS set"! "A few dollors more"............they are 2x the price. I love what he considers a "few dollars more": $2,500.

Gee, if I had to ask for some change from him do you think he would give a few hunderd dollars worth?

·
Banned
29,681 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by videobruce
Vapour-vision????????

Huh?

Guess Gary doesn't like LCD displays................He also recomends the Hit 51S500 (what In was looking at) for a CRT based, but "with a few dollars more invest in a LCoS set"! "A few dollors more"............they are 2x the price. I love what he considers a "few dollars more": $2,500.

Gee, if I had to ask for some change from him do you think he would give a few hunderd dollars worth?
Personally I am not that impressed with LCos....

I have never seen the 1080pX1920 Toshiba that was discontinued because Toshiba quality control lacks (as always:rolleyes: )

I am sure the picture is very sharp and high resolution....

Lcos can have amazing color too...

Just the contrast and price.... leaves some to be desired.

And- any 720pX1280 LCos model I have seen has not had a good picture.... DLP and CRT is better for the same or less money.

·
Premium Member
4,176 Posts
Mfusick --

Although extremely expensive, take a look at the Sony SXRD projector. It's a form of LCoS that has about 2000:1 contrast. I saw it at CEDIA 2003 (you had to line up early in the morning just to get a showroom "ticket"!). I felt it was much better than any other LCoS I have ever seen and blew away all the HD2 DLP's I saw at CEDIA 2003. For me, the blacks were a nonissue on that LCoS.

Also, I recently calibrated a Texan's JVC G11 DILA projector to 1198:1 contrast ratio (full on-off, as measured by my colorimeter) during a Houston trip I made. That's almost 1200:1 contrast ratio! For me, that was a record for any of the older generation DILA's. Although ANSI contrast ratio is probably not as good as more recent projector models, due to more internal light scatter of the older projector technology.

Most LCoS based projectors I have seen, only go well under 1000:1 contrast ratio, but I can tell you there are some really contrasty LCoS out there now.

·
Banned
29,681 Posts
Price is the objection I would have.

How much does it cost?

Is it comparable to current DLP or CRT prices? Is it better enough, if at all, to demand the higher selling price?

Perhaps on ultimate performance front projectors......

But for a reasonable consumer level RPTV..... How much it too much?

Most think DLP is priced too high already...

·
Registered
16,730 Posts
Vapor vision is a Plasma or a LCoS?

·
Registered
16,730 Posts
I would understand if it was a Plasma, but I don't get the connection with LCoS and "vapor"?

What am I missing?

·
Premium Member
1,313 Posts
You're not comparing apples to apples in your LCoS vs. DLP comparison.

THREE-chip LCoS costs $4500-$6500, a three-chip DLP is >$20k.

Sounds like LCoS is a LOT cheaper to me.

·
Banned
29,681 Posts
I am comparing RPTV's..... and picture quality for price.

3 Chip LCos is much more $$ than Samsung DLP.....

Phillips Cineos Lcos is much crappier than Samsung DLP....

Normal consumers don't want to spend what Lcos costs, or want the horrible picture that the lower models like the Phillips make given it's still high price.

DLP is a better choice in my opinion.

·
Registered
49 Posts
"but I can tell you there are some really contrasty LCoS out there now."

Any coming to the market soon with 50" screen, under $5,000 and >1,000:1 contrast ratio?

·
Registered
834 Posts
For the fun of it I went to my local Rex and although they didn't have the new GWIII's in yet, the salesman said they are using LCos technology and I should come back to check them out. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
980 Posts
LCD is the best technology available. Best color, black level, contrast and no dithering.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.