AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just started building my new theater room and in my design, I originally planned on using a port window for the projector since the projector is going to be in an equipment room behind the theater room. The noise from the projector isn't a concern, but the I-tech amps and other Crown amps do make a good amount of noise, which is why I wanted the room sealed off. What do you guys think? Is the port window necessary and if so, where can I get one?

Here's the room design. Equipment room in the back as you can see.

Disregard the visible rack on the back wall in the 2nd picture. Decided to keep everything in the equipment closet.

Attachments

·
Registered
26,950 Posts
It makes a difference in my set up relative to high freq noise. I have a very quiet room so that open port allows all the amp and pj noise to come through.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
personally I would give it a try without the glass but if you need it here is one option: https://www.edmundoptics.com/f/anti-reflection-ar-coated-high-efficiency-windows/12261/
I was thinking about that but at the same time, I would like to "one and done" it. Any downsides to a port window?

It makes a difference in my set up relative to high freq noise. I have a very quiet room so that open port allows all the amp and pj noise to come through.
That's exactly why I want it. More so for the amp noise than the projector. The I-techs are loud.

Yep, that's where I bought mine. They have sizes up to 10" x 12". For larger sizes, like the window in the OPs drawing, you may want to consider Portwindowglass.com, although I have no idea what their pricing is like.

Mike
Thanks for the link, I actually found them through a google search. The window doesn't have to be that big, that's mostly an illustration.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
I was thinking about that but at the same time, I would like to "one and done" it. Any downsides to a port window?
Just the initial construction and occasional cleaning. I consider a port window mandatory from a noise perspective. I run my projector in high altitude mode for increased cooling air flow and I believe this contributes to improved lamp life (I have only 1 data point to support this but I do know electronics live longer the cooler they operate). Along these lines, my hush box flows more air than required to "force feed" cooling air through my projector (filtered, of course).

Mike

1 - 6 of 6 Posts