AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may not be the perfect forum for this question but it's a bit unusual so I'll just give it a shot.

I travel for work - a lot. I'm also an avid console gamer. I've been trying to put together a portable gaming rig to recreate as closely as possible the console gaming experience while travelling on a plane.

There are 3 major problems here:

1) Power source. I need something that can run a PS2 and a display for 3+ hours. I have found several portable battery solutions so far, the best of which looks to be the Brunton Solo Personal Power Plant . But I'd like to know if anyone knows of any other products out there that might be smaller/lighter.

2) Display - I need some way to view the video output from the console. It has to be light and portable. I travel with a laptop but I haven't figured out a way to pipe the video through to my laptop screen. I've also considered head-mounted displays but haven't been able to find a good one. A portable LCD monitor would work but I haven't found one yet. Any ideas?

3) Size - All of this gear has to fit in an airline carry-on size case. 14"x9"x22" is the maximum, but I'd loke to get it a little smaller than that.

So there it is... quite a project. I'm trying to keep the cost under $1000. Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated. Also, before someone says "why don't you just load games on your laptop?", let me go ahead and answer that one: not enough battery life, and I don't like most PC games.

Thanks,

ST

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. I've looked at several of the portable monitors made specifically for PS2, but they were all disappointing. The tiny screen just doesn't work well for games with small characters and text (like RPGs or strategy games). Also I want something that can be universal among all of my consoles - so it would need to work with the X-box and Gamecube too.

Does anyone have any experience with head-mounted displays like these ? I think that may be my best bet. I've been looking for an LCD screen -- like a laptop monitor without the laptop -- but haven't found anything yet.

Thanks,

ST

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.