AVS Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, i was wondering what the best and loudest portable speakers out the market were. I'm going use them solely for outdoor purposes mostly beach parties and in parks, i therefore want quality onces that gives a loud and clear bass over a large area.

My budget is around 600-1000$ but can be changed depending on the options i have

·
Registered
7,063 Posts
The JBL JRX115 is the perfect portable speaker for beach parties or any sort of outdoor setup.

They are rugged, powerful, and made to be hauled around by musicians or whoever. They will hold up well for years of hard use.

They also have 1/4-inch phone jacks as well as regular speaker terminals for quick hookup in the field.

Sweetwater pro audio has them for $224 each, which is about 40% off the MSRP.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thx for response but im sorta confused here; when i search up The JBL JRX115 these are the speakers i find http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/jbl-jrx115-15-2-way-speaker-cabinet . Il assume they're the onces your talking about because the price seems to match.

But arent these speakers which needs a powersource aswell? im looking for a more of a all in one sorta thing - which im unsure that is possible to get due to you get what you buy, and i havent been able to find any decently large portable speakers.

Atm im looking at Audio beats portable by dr dre but i seriously have a issue with the 6 D cells batteries im going to have to rebuy alot

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
Check out Braven Audio portable bluetooth speakers. They sound great by themselves but can also be chained together for bigger sound. I've tried out several speakers in this category, Braven beat them all, including Beats and Jambox. But large and clear bass is going to be tough, there's only so much a small passive sub can produce.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Are you talking about Braven 600's? I dont see how that one can beat beats and Jambox (bigJambox), due to its size. But since you mention it i dont need it to be a small one i can carry in my hand. Aslong as it doesnt weight much more than 10kg/20pounds. Im actually looking for a decently sized one, but havent been able to find one sofar.

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
As far as output of course it can't beat them, but have you ever heard a Jambox at full volume? I'd rather gouge screwdrivers in my ears.

Daisy chained Bravens are just an option. I don't know whether anything of decent quality exists for your purpose. I'm curious what you end up with - and good luck in the search!

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
You want a Klipsch KMC3. http://www.amazon.com/Klipsch-Center-KMC-Portable-Speaker/dp/B00BAQJ94Q/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1370789508&sr=8-1&keywords=KMC3

It has 130 watts, 40Hz-24Khz. 3.5mm line in, USB input, Bluetooth with Apt-x codec. They take 8 D-cell batteries, but that will have longer play time than a built-in Li-ion battery (according to Klipsch). Apt-x is a lossless codec through Bluetooth (personally, I think standard Bluetooth sounds terrible).

Braven has only 6 watts! That's not going to provide the power you want.

If you compare that to Beats, you have the option of the Beatbox which gives you the power (200 watts I believe), or the Beatbox portable, which gives you the connectivity of the Klipsch, but has only 40 watts compared to Klipsch's 130 watts. I have heard the portable and I wasn't that impressed, nor was I impressed with the overrated Beats headphones.

I haven't had a chance to audition the Klipsch KMC 3, but it has been getting amazing reviews. I was going to buy one myself (after a lot of research in portable speakers), but decided to invest in some home theater components instead.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevypower  /t/1476469/portable-speaker-for-beach-parties#post_23407771

You want a Klipsch KMC3. http://www.amazon.com/Klipsch-Center-KMC-Portable-Speaker/dp/B00BAQJ94Q/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1370789508&sr=8-1&keywords=KMC3

It has 130 watts, 40Hz-24Khz. 3.5mm line in, USB input, Bluetooth with Apt-x codec. They take 8 D-cell batteries, but that will have longer play time than a built-in Li-ion battery (according to Klipsch). Apt-x is a lossless codec through Bluetooth (personally, I think standard Bluetooth sounds terrible).

Braven has only 6 watts! That's not going to provide the power you want.

If you compare that to Beats, you have the option of the Beatbox which gives you the power (200 watts I believe), or the Beatbox portable, which gives you the connectivity of the Klipsch, but has only 40 watts compared to Klipsch's 130 watts. I have heard the portable and I wasn't that impressed, nor was I impressed with the overrated Beats headphones.

I haven't had a chance to audition the Klipsch KMC 3, but it has been getting amazing reviews. I was going to buy one myself (after a lot of research in portable speakers), but decided to invest in some home theater components instead.

I checked some reviews on this one and it sounds like it packs the power im looking for. Quite unsure about the D-battery usage though. How would you rate this speaker up against Big Jam box? Im just afraid il have to change the batteries alot and 8 of them is quite a few

And i considerd BeatBox but those needs to be plugged in and therefor arent an option.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Jambox has 36 watts. I'm pretty sure the Klipsch KMC-3 is going to be ideal for what you want.

If you are going to be running it on batteries often, I would invest in some D-cell batteries and a charger.
http://www.amazon.com/Tenergy-000mAh-Capacity-Rechargeable-Batteries/dp/B001AYIRH8/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1370793582&sr=8-3&keywords=rechargeable+d+batteries

You might try looking for higher than 10,000 mAh, but you might end up paying a lot more for them. I wouldn't get anything less than 10,000 though.

You might be able to work this out better than me, but 1.5V X 8 batteries = 12 volt

12 volt and 130 watts = 10.8 Amps

If you average 130 watts output, let's say 11 Amps to be safe, with 80,000 mAh of battery power (80 Ah), that's a little over 7 hours of music playing.

Even with 16 rechargeable D cells plus 2 battery chargers (if you are that worried), you will still be under the lower end of your budget

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks all for the help, has gotten a much better idea on what to go for now, il use a few days to think this through.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Let us know what you end up getting! FYI I realized I made a small error in my previous post, so I edited it. The rechargeable D-cell batteries are not li-ion.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I would check out the soundcast outcast, as opposed to the outcast jr. The outcast is kind of heavy, but it would seemingly give you the power you are looking for, and it is "safe" outside.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Just FYI, I used the Altec Lansing iMT810 as our sound system in a bar at Burning Man ! Now of course I have two of them and three Yamaha Stagepas 300 units coming off an audio splitter and an iPod............

1 - 19 of 19 Posts