AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a basic install from a local marine shop when I purchased my boat last year and am ready to make a change. I'm trying to find out if it makes sense to have my local audio shop (which appears to do fantastic work) do a box for me for about $250, or build me myself. I have done plenty of sealed boxes before, but I understand the ported set up is an entirely different animal. Space is awkward but I know plenty of people fit them under their dashes.

Working with an MTX 8519-44 that I have had sitting around for a while and the shop told me that technically all subs can sound fantastic ported (and louder) as opposed to sealed assuming the enclosure is designed correctly.....haven't been able to find much info online supporting or disputing this though. Just arguments back and forth. Hahahaha

Any ideas? Stick with sealed or is it worth it to go ported?

Specs on the sub....

http://www.mtx.com/GetFile.asp?File=F09091515550546616b.pdf

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you so much for that! If I'm looking at this correctly I am looking at as much as a 10db difference? Seems incredible......so this is definitely worth it. I am going to get to work designing apparently....have to figure out a way to get a 2 cubic foot box under there I guess.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts