AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just sold my definitive technology bp7004s, and I'm ready to do another speaker build. The goal is to make a 2.1 system that I'm primarily going to use for music. I would like to keep parts under $500, not including materials to build the cabinets. I already have a subwoofer that I'm going to use in the system. I've been looking at the speaker kits from parts express made by Dayton, but I'm not sold on them yet. Any suggestions?

That's how it starts; in a completely different direction.

·
Registered
7,989 Posts
Have you looked at the kits at meniscus?

http://meniscusaudio.com/kits-c-133.html?page=1&sort=3a

Also the kits at diysoundgroup.com. If you wanna go louder, since you're using a sub.

Also consider some of the designs floating around that aren't kitted, but you'll need to be more specific about your requirements if you want recommendations on those. Size, SPL, etc.?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm considering the ua711 or the ua721. The 721 will put me over budget a bit, but if they're that much better than the $120 extra spent there would be well worth it. I just haven't seen many reviews on these. Also in comparison to the tritrix that are considerably less. How would these stack up against my old def techs?

·
Registered
758 Posts
I built the Mandolin kit by Jeff Bagby. There is also an MTM version that would cost right around $500 to build, that would be worth a listen. 6" paper cone, 1 1/8" dimple dome/ring radiator tweeter. I really like the sound. Meniscus is good people.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thinking of a MTMW tower now. The components I'm looking at are dayton 4" rs100-4 (4), dayton dc25t-8 (2) and the dayton 8" rs225-8 (2). This would be crossed in at 800 and 5k. I would put the 8" in a ported box. Any suggestions on this. Also I like the za5.5 too.

·
Registered
4,645 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by madskaman  /t/1472175/considering-another-speaker-build-suggestions#post_23304629

Thinking of a MTMW tower now. The components I'm looking at are dayton 4" rs100-4 (4), dayton dc25t-8 (2) and the dayton 8" rs225-8 (2). This would be crossed in at 800 and 5k. I would put the 8" in a ported box. Any suggestions on this. Also I like the za5.5 too.

Not a good idea. In an MTM layout, the crossover point to the tweeter can be no higher than one wavelength of the mid's center to center (CTC) spacing. At 5kHz, then the CTC spacing of the mids can be no than 5.4". Even at 1 wavelength, you get lobing, which is what the D'Appolito style takes into account.

Now, the crossover point between the woofer and mid(s) follow the same rule, no more than 1 wavelength, so you normally want to keep them as close as possible, but then the woofer also encounters floor bounce with half the frequency (I think it's one half) associated with the wavelength associated with the woofer to floor distance. So now you want to keep the woofer close to the floor, which makes it hard to cross high to a mid.

Now, why only one woofer if you have two mids?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I had the crossovers from my first build and thought I could reuse them. I'll cross the mtm over at 2k and port it. Should I get the dayton 2 way crossovers or build my own? I've never made them before, but feel comfortable do it.

·
Registered
4,645 Posts
Assembling a crossover is pretty easy; place the components, solder them up, done. Designing a crossover takes a lot of work.

For example, building an engine is easy; organize parts, start putting things in place, torque to spec, etc... Put it together in a 1bay garage over a few weekends.

Designing an engine however, requires a team of engineers and thousands of hours of simulation and testing.

Off the shelf crossovers (generic crossovers), are just that, generic. Sure it's a starting point for speaker building, as in, it will make sound and protect the drivers, but it's a long ways away from creating a good sounding speaker. I'd hate for a person to spend $3-400 in raw drivers and another $50-60 in generic crossovers, to make noise when they could go off a proven design, or a kit, and spend an extra $30--40 in crossover components and have good sound. If the difference between mediocre and good was a mere 10% increase in price, it would be well worth it in my book!

Check into some DIY kits/designs that folks have spent time simulating, prototyping, testing, tweaking, repeating, etc... They're providing their time and knowledge free of charge basically.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
well now i'm back to square one, but with a little more knowledge. I've been reading up more on the zaph 5.5 kit and it sounds like it would be a great speaker. I think this my be the way to go for me. sorry for my indecisiveness.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Its ever so slightly over your budget but these are amazing speakers and Danny is a super stand up guy: http://gr-research.com/n3.aspx

One of my friends down in Portland has a set and the matching N3S center (just a sealed version of the standard transmission line design of the N3). These are on my short list to build. Top quality crossover components and proven design by one of the best in the business. Over on Audiocircle in the GR Research area you'll find TONS of builds of this kit.

Scott

·
Banned
3,677 Posts
OP- is that $500 dollar budget per speaker? If so, you might look into building the Statements or Mini-Statements as those would represent a tremdious value for performance versus cost, plus they sound terrific as well!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I've been thinking about and researching this for a while and I'm going to double my budget and go with a proven design. That being said I'm debating between the dayton rs-3ways and the statements. My biggest concern is the positioning of the speakers. I'm not going to be able to keep them much more than 6 inches or so away from the wall. Because I'm leaning towards the statements, I'd like to know if this going to be a game changer for me? And if there is anything else in the $1000ish category worth taking a look/listen at.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.