AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just happened to notice this announcement from JVC:

http://www.crunchgear.com/2010/02/01...000-projector/

Looks like a stalking horse for a new wave of projectors.

I know the price is a tad high but it's always likely to "trickle down" to consumer products....eventually. A perfect storm when 3D eventually makes it as a totally immersive home experience.

·
Premium Member
7,399 Posts
True, there is no 4k content yet, but you can still benefit from the higher resolutions if you can scale the content well. We certainly get a better picture from 1080 projectors than 480p projectors even when displaying DVD. Viewing distance really should be a moot point with D-ILA fill factor on pixels and 4k horizontal resolution. Most likely we would be limited by the screen if using acoustically transparent screens for seating distance.

10,000:1 contrast seems a bit low, but this is also a 5,000 lumen monster. I suspect it might be using 2 bulbs and that custs down the max contrast.

·
Registered
25,084 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Poindexter /forum/post/18139889

True, there is no 4k content yet, but you can still benefit from the higher resolutions if you can scale the content well. We certainly get a better picture from 1080 projectors than 480p projectors even when displaying DVD. Viewing distance really should be a moot point with D-ILA fill factor on pixels and 4k horizontal resolution. Most likely we would be limited by the screen if using acoustically transparent screens for seating distance.

10,000:1 contrast seems a bit low, but this is also a 5,000 lumen monster. I suspect it might be using 2 bulbs and that custs down the max contrast.

No doubt but the real benefit comes from 4K content.

Art

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
If the engine, and underlying technology is the same as existing units, it will have the same issues as the 810.

Meridian are looking at another option for future 4k units.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.