AVS Forum banner

3421 - 3440 of 5188 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
566 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbonbi /forum/post/16008916


Let's see if I can sort a few things out for you.


The Fairpoint FAST internet service (fiber optics) is available in parts of NH and Eliot, Kittery, and York ME. http://www.fairpoint.com/northern_ne...ial_fiber.html


Fairpoint does offer a "Triple Point Bundle" with a combination of a landline phone, DSL (speed up to 7.1 depending on your location) and DirecTV (usually abbreviated as D* on the AVS Forum). http://www.fairpoint.com/northern_ne...les/index.html That's what I have at present and I'm very happy with it.


By all reports of users on this thread, the D* DVR (HR21 etc.) is an excellent box. Much more up-to-date than the SA8300 used by many cable cos. (I don't use a DVR myself.) The problem (among the many) you are experiencing is that the equipment the cable co. uses is dictated by whatever they use at the "head end." That's the point where they acquire signals and distribute them throughout their system. If they have Scientific Atlanta (SA) equipment at the head end, then they are locked into SA equipment throughout their wire plant. And the SA8300 is about the best they can offer, sad to say. There is a model that includes a CableCard that I have read is actually more troublesome/less reliable!


You could consider a TiVo but at added cost in order to avoid the SA8300.


From time to time the cable cos do offer deals for new customers. They don't seem to have anything to offer for customer retention, something that D* does do. D* has offers for new customers, too, which are available even if you get the Fairpoint bundle. I "backed into" the Fairpoint bundle by first getting D*, and then later getting the Fairpoint landline phone and DSL.


Cable cos. are used to having a monopoly franchise in providing TV and internet service to customers. They are a "top down" organization, not customer driven at all. So, they are not accustomed to being "competitive." The satellite TV providers are and my experience with Fairpoint has been positive. They are trying to be competitive instead of dictatorial.


Finally, don't overlook GWI for phone and internet service. Very customer oriented, great customer service and excellent tech support. They just don't have the faster DSL service available here that Fairpoint does. Maybe at your location, they do. Give them a call. They are a terrific outfit to do business with. It was quite a contrast to my experience with Comcast.


Whoops! Looks like I missed one point. You may be able to keep TWC internet and phone if you drop TV service. But, my guess is the TWC won't promote it. You may have to dig for the info, rates, etc. That is what happened when I left Comcast. I think the cable cos. still think they are primarily in the TV business.


Dana

I might as well respond While Im on hold with fairpoint to see if anything is available in my area. wow, long wait so far...One thing I will say about twc is that its usually a very shory hold if any.


I had a tivo for about a week and had to return it. nothing wrong on tivo's end, its just that I still had to have a twc box as well. The two boxes did not work well together. Not sure If thats still the case. I def dont want to have a two seperate boxes.


I just got off the phone with fairpoint. I guess it is available here in wells.Im not sure if my lines are fiber or copper. I need fiber to switch.( EDIT )I just found out that its twisted copper.looks like fairpoint's " fast plan " is 5mbps/2mbps. How does that compare to roadrunner?


Do you know if Twc allows customers to drop the tv and just keep my phone and computer with them. They probably do but I would get a separate bill instead of a combined one in the bundle plan that you suggested. This might be the way to go Since I now know my lines are not fiber. plus I dont have any issues with my phone & computer.


In the mean time I will try to find a little more info on the D* hr21 dvr because thats def the only reason for me to make a switch. Plus a little math to compare cost.


thanks again ,chris
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,675 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow ride /forum/post/16009921


...

In the mean time I will try to find a little more info on the D* hr21 dvr because thats def the only reason for me to make a switch. Plus a little math to compare cost.


thanks again ,chris

Look back a few pages on this thread. Both AccidenT and Beekeeper posted info on their experience with the D* HD DVR, as I recall, that may be helpful.


Dana
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
566 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbonbi /forum/post/16010392


Look back a few pages on this thread. Both AccidenT and Beekeeper posted info on their experience with the D* HD DVR, as I recall, that may be helpful.


Dana

Ok , I will tonight when I have a little more time. Do you know how fairview's online "FAST PLAN " compares to TWC's roadrunner given the numbers I posted above?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,675 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow ride /forum/post/16011077


Ok , I will tonight when I have a little more time. Do you know how fairview's online "FAST PLAN " compares to TWC's roadrunner given the numbers I posted above?

No, I don't. Cable usually has faster speeds available than DSL - providing you want to pay for the speed. I think what you reported is not the Fairpoint FAST service (fiber optics) but conventional DSL.


Dana
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
70 Posts
5mbps down and 2mbps up are pretty good speeds for DSL. They almost sound like they are the business class DLS unless fairpoint has upgraded their plans. The standard TWC internet is 10mbps down but they limit the upload to 768kbps. The upload is not usually a big deal for home based consumers because you don't spend much time uploading things. You may find that 5mbps is fast enough for you, it is faster than cable internet was a few years back, but I would also be surprised if you actually are getting the 5mps speeds consistently with fairpoint. They may be the maximum burst speeds rather than sustained speeds. The TWC 10mbps seems to be pretty constant. I actually have Fairpoint DSL at my office and TWC at my home and my home internet is much faster than the DSL at my office.


I actually have TWC cable at home and Directv for TV. You do have to deal with two bills and I is not as economical as a bundle package, but the two are by far the best of the options. I believe that the TWC internet is about $52 a month and the phone is another $35 on top of that (with no promotions) and you can get them with no TV subscription.


On to the last item. I have a D* HR22 and it is a very nice box. It doesn't have any of the problems the SA8300 has. I was originally a fan of the TIVO boxes, but do believe that other than TIVO D* is by far the best option for a DVR, plus they have 500gb hard drives in them now and can record around 300 hours of HD video.


*EDITED the Fairpoint 5/2 mbps is the base tier of their Fiber Optic Service. If it is not available in your area the standard DSL speed is actually 3mbps down and the upload speed is not stated.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
566 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sda3 /forum/post/16017003


5mbps down and 2mbps up are pretty good speeds for DSL. They almost sound like they are the business class DLS unless fairpoint has upgraded their plans. The standard TWC internet is 10mbps down but they limit the upload to 768kbps. The upload is not usually a big deal for home based consumers because you don't spend much time uploading things. You may find that 5mbps is fast enough for you, it is faster than cable internet was a few years back, but I would also be surprised if you actually are getting the 5mps speeds consistently with fairpoint. They may be the maximum burst speeds rather than sustained speeds. The TWC 10mbps seems to be pretty constant. I actually have Fairpoint DSL at my office and TWC at my home and my home internet is much faster than the DSL at my office.


I actually have TWC cable at home and Directv for TV. You do have to deal with two bills and I is not as economical as a bundle package, but the two are by far the best of the options. I believe that the TWC internet is about $52 a month and the phone is another $35 on top of that (with no promotions) and you can get them with no TV subscription.


On to the last item. I have a D* HR22 and it is a very nice box. It doesn't have any of the problems the SA8300 has. I was originally a fan of the TIVO boxes, but do believe that other than TIVO D* is by far the best option for a DVR, plus they have 500gb hard drives in them now and can record around 300 hours of HD video.


*EDITED the Fairpoint 5/2 mbps is the base tier of their Fiber Optic Service. If it is not available in your area the standard DSL speed is actually 3mbps down and the upload speed is not stated.

Thanks for the info. I was wondering, Is there a NOTICABLE difference in high def when comparing TWC to D*.


I wish D* had a store so that you could actually try out there set stuff so that one would know what they are getting into. chris
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
598 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow ride /forum/post/16020466


Thanks for the info. I was wondering, Is there a NOTICABLE difference in high def when comparing TWC to D*.


I wish D* had a store so that you could actually try out there set stuff so that one would know what they are getting into. chris

Some retail stores, that sell DirecTV, have setups where you can view the programing and quality of the video. I know when I bought my latest HR20, at Circuit City, they had a set up. But as we all know CC is now out of business, but I am sure there are a few other DirecTV dealers that have systems set up for viewing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,675 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow ride /forum/post/16020466


Thanks for the info. I was wondering, Is there a NOTICABLE difference in high def when comparing TWC to D*.


I wish D* had a store so that you could actually try out there set stuff so that one would know what they are getting into. chris

HD is at least as good on D* as cable. And, actually there is a store where you can see it. Any Best Buy. Their live TV feed is provided by D*! (That info is courtesy of Bob Calkin, who worked for Best Buy in Topsham at the time he posted this info, back in October 2007 I believe. We haven't heard from Bob in a long while on this thread but I assume the info is still correct. I believe it is a perk that Best Buy gets from D* in return for carrying their receivers/DVRs - and possibly just to reassure potential customers.)


Dana
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
566 Posts
thanks guys for the above info. I would think thay D* would have better quality audio & video since its a shorter direct feed from the dish.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
780 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow ride /forum/post/16020466


Thanks for the info. I was wondering, Is there a NOTICABLE difference in high def when comparing TWC to D*.

When I shifted from Comcast to D* there was a transition period when I had both. I did compare the local HD channels and I saw little difference, but biased a bit toward D*. I ran them side by side (POP) and shifted them from primary to secondary back and forth to see what difference there might be.


I did notice that if there was a transmission problem from the station (in this case CBS/13 football game) artifacts were more pronounced on D* than they were on CC, but both were bad but watchable.


It was interesting, but the biggest difference between CC and D* was with the SD programming. D* was much sharper with no issues like ghosting, which CC had on several local stations, especially 10 and 12.


Add lower cost with more HD channels and I only wish I had shifted earlier.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
780 Posts
Just wonder if anyone else had a problem with D* on Wed am? It droped the satellite signal during the early hours. Mine taped shows I had set up between 5am and 6am but when I turned it on about 7am, it had to find the satellite and it had trouble doing so. First time I have had that happen.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
70 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by beekeeper /forum/post/16024339


Just wonder if anyone else had a problem with D* on Wed am? It droped the satellite signal during the early hours. Mine taped shows I had set up between 5am and 6am but when I turned it on about 7am, it had to find the satellite and it had trouble doing so. First time I have had that happen.

Yesterday there was very heavy wet snow falling at that time of morning. Although it seems to happen rarely here, it was most likely snow on your dish.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
70 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow ride /forum/post/16020466


Thanks for the info. I was wondering, Is there a NOTICABLE difference in high def when comparing TWC to D*.


I wish D* had a store so that you could actually try out there set stuff so that one would know what they are getting into. chris

I have never been able to compare the two side by side, I was in temporary housing after I moved to maine and we had TWC for the couple of months we were there so I have had both over the last 9 months. I think that D* has higher quality HD. They also have tons more HD channels than TWC does.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
35 Posts
Hey beekeeper,


I also had a complete D* outage for several hours Wednesday morning during the snowstorm. My first time in about a year with all channels down.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
780 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gr8St8oMaine /forum/post/16029961


Hey beekeeper,


I also had a complete D* outage for several hours Wednesday morning during the snowstorm. My first time in about a year with all channels down.

Thanks. I did not lose anything during the previous ice storm or the heavy snow, rain storms, but did with a light snow. My guess is something else was at work.


I recorded shows during the 5-6am period (local weather on 6 and 8) fine but the next show, 6:30-7 (NESN) recorded but was was broken up and when I turned the set on after 7am, no signal. At that time we had light snow.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,675 Posts
I just noticed the story as headlined above here http://www.examiner.com/a-1913586~Ma...aine_Headlines It's an AP story that may be in local newspapers, too.


I never knew there was such a state agency as the one referenced.

Quote:
The ConnectMe Authority, a state agency charged with expanding high-speed services across Maine, is seeking bids from contractors who can provide a detailed map showing where broadband Internet is available.

Dana
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,675 Posts
"Problems never before seen on TV make some viewers wonder whether the conversion really was for the better." http://pressherald.mainetoday.com/st...45860&ac=PHnws

Quote:
People across southern Maine have had a myriad of signal problems since all of Portland's TV stations began using digital equipment earlier this year. The most common problem is bad sound synchronization, meaning the picture and sound don't match.

This story in today's PPH is undoubtedly in the KJ and the Waterville Sentinel, too.


Dana
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,968 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbonbi /forum/post/16083858


"Problems never before seen on TV make some viewers wonder whether the conversion really was for the better." http://pressherald.mainetoday.com/st...45860&ac=PHnws




This story in today's PPH is undoubtedly in the KJ and the Waterville Sentinel, too.


Dana

I have noticed sound out of synchronization a very few times in the last 3 years of watching digital tv, but it is rare. Perhaps the new decoder boxes for analog sets delay the video due to processing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,968 Posts
Be darned if I didn't see a problem with audio / video sychronization last night on TWC. It was during the movie "The Big Red One" on the HD Net Movie channel (I think). Over the more than 3 years I have been watching digital HD on TWC, I have observed synchronization problems, but certainly not all that often.
 
3421 - 3440 of 5188 Posts
Top