AVS Forum banner

3441 - 3460 of 5188 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Has anyone tonight had any probs with SD Sci Atl box going all dashes where the time usually is and can't use their boxes at all. Anyone with the same exp please reply. Can't get through to Comcast for any updates

Chris

·
Registered
55 Posts
Finally this morning the SA boxes are working. They did something wrong when they added WPXT and WPME HD last night. Well at least now I have all of the locals in HD.

Chris

·
Registered
143 Posts
I see that TWC is planning on a bunch of channel changes, including removing the WMTW's "All News" channel on channel 9, and putting a few analog channels up to digital. Here's hoping this means more room for HD channels!

Here is what is being planned, according to the "Channel Changes" page on TWC's website:

Quote:
The following programming changes are scheduled to take place:

Removal of Movie Plex from channel line up in Sebago area

Removal of WMTW All News on channel 9 on our Basic Tier for customers in York and Cumberland Counties

Removal of WBZ and WBZ HD on channel 4 on our Basic Tier for customers in portions of York County

Removal of ONTV on channel 99 on our Basic Tier for customers in portions of Cumberland and York Counties

Removal of WGBH on channel 21 on our Basic Tier in portions of York County

Removal of CHLT on channel 21 on our Basic Tier from the City of Biddeford

Removal of PIN Network from channel 21 on our Basic Tier for Cumberland County

Removal of CSPAN 2 from Channel 4 in Biddeford

Relocate Shop NBC from Basic Tier on channel 18 to Digital Tier channel on channel 157 in Cumberland and York Counties

Relocate Fox Movie Channel from Standard Tier on channel 63 to Digital Tier on channel 145 in York County

Relocate BBC America from Standard Tier on channel 74 to Digital Tier on channel 108 in Cumberland and York Counties

Relocate Oxygen from channel 78 to channel 33 (same service tier) in York and Cumberland Counties

Relocate National Geographic from channel 75 to channel 54 (same service tier) in York and Cumberland Counties

Relocate BET from channel 60 to channel 23 (same service tier) in York and Cumberland Counties

Relocate Discovery Health from Standard Tier channel 23 to Basic Tier channel 21

Relocate TWC TV from channel 22 to channel 9 (same service tier) in Cumberland and York Counties

Relocate SoapNet from channel 73 to channel 63 (same service tier) in York and Cumberland Counties

Relocate ION from Standard Tier channel 33 to Basic Tier channel 14 in York and Cumberland Counties

Relocate TV Guide Network from channel 15 to channel 22 (same service tier) in York and Cumberland Counties

Relocate QVC from channel 14 to channel 15 (same service tier) in York and Cumberland Counties

Relocate EWTN from Standard Tier channel 54 to Basic Tier channel 18 in York and Cumberland Counties

Relocate Spike TV from channel 76 to channel 60 (same service tier) in York and Cumberland Counties

Relocate WE from channel 77 to channel 32 (same service tier) in York and Cumberland Counties

·
Registered
137 Posts
More HD would be nice.............hasn't been any new additions in a long time.

Steve

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
Remember the story we referenced early in March about TiVo partnering with Comcast? It's just a page back. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1#post15958111 TiVo lost over 600,000 subs in the last year, but TiVo management was claiming that their partnership with Comcast was going well and beta software was being tested "in New England." I commented that when I was with Comcast Brunswick and had great hopes that Comcast would rejuvenate the former SusCom mid-coast Maine MSO, I looked into the beta test. It was going on somewhere in the Boston metro area but under wraps.

A first-hand report in the Portland Examiner (?) http://www.examiner.com/x-5622-Bosto...-Boston-lately indicates that the beta test is not going well. I'll paste some snippets:

Quote:
I’ve been using Comcast’s TiVo service here in Boston since it was first offered a little over a year ago and to say that things were a bit rough in the first six months would be an understatement. I went through at least a dozen cable boxes, too many phone calls and live chats to count, and I might as well have offered our spare bedroom to the any one of the technicians who spent more time at my house than they did their own.

Well everything seemed to smooth out after about six months and, until about a month ago, things were working fine. I’d have an occasional cable box bite the dust here and there and a tech would come out and replace it in under thirty minutes and that’d be that. Lately, though, trouble seems to be brewing again.

And that’s one of the main problems with the TiVo + Comcast relationship. The cable boxes, which are Comcast’s, rely on TiVo to actually push out all the data. Nothing’s really controlled by Comcast, except for the On-Demand features. So when something goes wrong on TiVo’s end, the boxes go haywire and all Comcast can do is send technician after technician out to replace the boxes until the problem gets resolved. So if it’s a serious enough issue, like whatever’s been going on lately, that means Comcast boxes have been failing en masse and, as the technician put it, “All I can really do is give you a new box and hope this gets fixed before it happens again.” And that's actually, really all he can do, which must make being a Comcast technician that services TiVo boxes a pretty rough job if you assume that most service techs don't want to ever have to come to your house more than once to put a band-aid on the same problem over and over again.

While Comcast may own the boxes, they bought them from a third party. Moto, Pace or Scientific Atlanta. That's been a weakness of cable operators for a long time, in my opinion. Add to that the conversion of many TV broadcasters to digital and it's no wonder the problems are rampant. Too many variables. Personally, I doubt that Comcast is really committed.

For those still on the Comcast Brunswick system, there is little likelihood of seeing TiVo software anytime soon - if ever.

I do hope the TiVo alliance with D* is more productive.

Dana

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
The PATS have announced their 2009 pre-season practice games. http://www.boston.com/sports/footbal...son_dates.html
Quote:
• Thursday, Aug. 13 -- at Philadelphia (7 p.m., WBZ-TV)

• Thursday, Aug. 20 -- vs. Cincinnati (7:30 p.m., WBZ-TV)

• Friday, Aug. 28 -- at Washington (8 p.m., CBS, nationally televised)

• Thursday, Sept. 3 -- vs. N.Y. Giants (7:30 p.m., WBZ-TV)

Since WBZ-TV Boston is a CBS O&O station, let's hope WGME Channel 13 will carry the three local games, too. Interesting that the locals are all Thursday night games.

Can't wait to watch The Brady Bunch back in action. (If we see TB himself. You recall last year all we saw in pre-season was Cassel and thought he might not make the team. So much for arm chair expertise.)

Dana

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
 http://pressherald.mainetoday.com/st...48810&ac=PHspt

Quote:
A dispute between Time Warner and the network carrying the Celtics apparently is settled.

April 4, 2009

Boston Celtics fans in Maine can rest easier now that a contract dispute apparently has been settled between Time Warner Cable and Comcast SportsNet, the cable channel that broadcasts most of the team's games.

The dispute threatened to jeopardize broadcasts of Celtics games for about 300,000 Time Warner customers in Maine and western Massachusetts...

Dana

·
Registered
70 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by theo871 /forum/post/16109473

I notice that WCSH 6 is now broadcasting in DD 5.1 surround sound! It sounds great!

Yay. I is about time..

·
Registered
168 Posts
When is WMTW going to enter the 2000s and get the ability to insert HD graphics into their feed? It's pretty frigging sad they need to drop down to SD to show the very useful Megabucks numbers and station IDs.

BBC America moving to digital is a sad development. I guess Time Warner wants me to cancel my TV service and get all of my video online or OTA. I'd gladly give up QVC, EWTN, Spike, BET, Oxygen WE, SoapNet, and TV Guide Network. Maybe I can see if they'll subsidize my subscription to Top Gear on iTunes.

·
Registered
143 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan_little /forum/post/16228429

When is WMTW going to enter the 2000s and get the ability to insert HD graphics into their feed? It's pretty frigging sad they need to drop down to SD to show the very useful Megabucks numbers and station IDs.

BBC America moving to digital is a sad development. I guess Time Warner wants me to cancel my TV service and get all of my video online or OTA. I'd gladly give up QVC, EWTN, Spike, BET, Oxygen WE, SoapNet, and TV Guide Network. Maybe I can see if they'll subsidize my subscription to Top Gear on iTunes.

Yeah, that was pretty bad last night when WMTW dropped to SD right during the climax of LOST to cover up half the screen with their ID. They obviously don't understand the FCC rule that states that "The Legal ID is to be broadcast as close to the top of the hour as feasible, at a NATURAL BREAK IN PROGRAM OFFERINGS" What's worse is WMTW's SH feed is grainy and mis-colored, even by normal SD standards.

So what's wrong with TWC moving channels to digital? If you have HD service then you must have digital. By moving analog channels to digital they can make more room for HD channels and maybe we can finally get USA, SCI-FI, FX and other mainstream HD channels that every other cable service around the country already has. The picture and sound quality in digital (even if not HD) will be a lot better too.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Yep, the color on WMTW's SD picture has looked horrible for years. I always noticed it most during Lost's dark sequences when everything turned a bit green.

Their HD feed is not that great either, at least through Time Warner. Certain colors of gray, when in the background, turn into compression artifacts for no apparent reason. I've noticed the problem most during the "This Week" on Sundays. If you stare at the background that is visible behind some of the guests it is nothing but one big compression artifact. I don't quite get it because the background is completely still, but their MPEG2 encoder is obviously having a hard time figuring it out. It's rather distracting because it clears up at every key frame and then dissolves almost instantly back into another compressed mess until the next key frame a half second or so later.

I am watching the clear QAM stations from Time Warner without a box. I hate boxes but I almost open to getting one if I can get a decent price for 12 months. I'd like to have Turner Classic Movies again. The BBC America thing gives me an honest reason to call and see what sort of retention offers they've got.

·
Registered
70 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by loudo38 /forum/post/16217029

Is any Portland station doing local news in HD yet?

I think that is a VERY long way off in this market...

·
Registered
70 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova828 /forum/post/16230905

Yeah, that was pretty bad last night when WMTW dropped to SD right during the climax of LOST to cover up half the screen with their ID. They obviously don't understand the FCC rule that states that "The Legal ID is to be broadcast as close to the top of the hour as feasible, at a NATURAL BREAK IN PROGRAM OFFERINGS" What's worse is WMTW's SH feed is grainy and mis-colored, even by normal SD standards.

They have a 10 minute window, between 5 till and 5 after the hour.

·
Registered
780 Posts
I just stumbled on the expanded master's coverage on Direct channels 702-705. The four are the network, amen corner, holes 15 and 16, and "in depth". Another nice feature is press the red button to get an interactive screen which has the top 5, leader board, trivia, and tuner (to the other channels).

Channel 701 shows all the channels as well as the leader board so you can watch everything and shift when you want.

On the leader board you can select a player and view their scorecard. Totally amazing stuff. There is probably more but I just found it. Starts a bit after noon tomorrow. Today it started at 4pm.

All free. I love Direct.

·
Registered
5,675 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by beekeeper /forum/post/16233777

I just stumbled on the expanded master's coverage on Direct channels 702-705. The four are the network, amen corner, holes 15 and 16, and "in depth". Another nice feature is press the red button to get an interactive screen which has the top 5, leader board, trivia, and tuner (to the other channels).

Channel 701 shows all the channels as well as the leader board so you can watch everything and shift when you want.

On the leader board you can select a player and view their scorecard. Totally amazing stuff. There is probably more but I just found it. Starts a bit after noon tomorrow. Today it started at 4pm.

All free. I love Direct.

I just saw an ad for it last night while watching NESN HD on D*. It looked cool.

Dana

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
"Comcast to sack NFL Network" http://www.boston.com/sports/footbal...k_nfl_network/

Apparently, Comcast has decided to drop the NFL Network channel as of the end of April claiming it is too expensive, blah, blah, blah. (I say "apparently" because this could be a negotiating tactic.) Obviously, both Comcast and the NFL Network have their own interests at stake. I don't watch the NFL Network channel on D* on a regular basis. Then again, I'm not glued to any channel on a regular basis.

But, I want choice. And Comcast Brunswick cable doesn't cut it. If Comcast drops it nationally, then only one of nine major cable cos. will carry the NFL Network according to the story. Of course Comcast carries the Golf channel, Versus and the MLB Network without the Sports Tier fee that they want to charge for access to the NFL Network. But, they have an ownership interest in those sports channels. That's different.

The cable moguls continue to think they have no competition. They don't locally - on the ground. Hah! But, D* carries the NFL Network. I have read that cable cos are PO'd at the NFL because they once again have given exclusive rights for the popular NFL Sunday Ticket to D*. Maybe that figures into it.

I believe that the root of the problem is bandwidth. D* has it; copper cable systems don't. Certainly not in Brunswick.

Dana (a former Comcast Brunswick subscriber)

·
Registered
598 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbonbi /forum/post/16244754

"Comcast to sack NFL Network" http://www.boston.com/sports/footbal...k_nfl_network/

Apparently, Comcast has decided to drop the NFL Network channel as of the end of April claiming it is too expensive, blah, blah, blah. (I say "apparently" because this could be a negotiating tactic.) Obviously, both Comcast and the NFL Network have their own interests at stake. I don't watch the NFL Network channel on D* on a regular basis. Then again, I'm not glued to any channel on a regular basis.

But, I want choice. And Comcast Brunswick cable doesn't cut it. If Comcast drops it nationally, then only one of nine major cable cos. will carry the NFL Network according to the story. Of course Comcast carries the Golf channel, Versus and the MLB Network without the Sports Tier fee that they want to charge for access to the NFL Network. But, they have an ownership interest in those sports channels. That's different.

The cable moguls continue to think they have no competition. They don't locally - on the ground. Hah! But, D* carries the NFL Network. I have read that cable cos are PO'd at the NFL because they once again have given exclusive rights for the popular NFL Sunday Ticket to D*. Maybe that figures into it.

I believe that the root of the problem is bandwidth. D* has it; copper cable systems don't. Certainly not in Brunswick.

Dana (a former Comcast Brunswick subscriber)

One of the big problems with the NFL Network, nationwide, is the fact that the owners of the NFL Network want the channel included on the basic programing package. The cable companies want it in packages that they can charge extra for. This has been a big problem since day one of the NFL Network.

Here in the Orlando market we had an even worse problem, the cable company for years refused to carry one of the two sports networks for the area. It cost them thousands of customers to DirecTV and DISH, but didn't care. Finally a month ago they added it to stop the people from dropping cable. Kind of closing the barn door after the horse got out.

For me DirecTV is no doubt the best bet, going back and forth between here and Maine. Last week DirecTV added 2 more sports networks to our home area, allowing us to get baseball games for the Marlins, Rays and Braves. Then during hockey season we will get games of the Panthers, Lightning, Thrashers and Hurricanes.

·
Registered
5,675 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by loudo38 /forum/post/16244940

Here in the Orlando market we had an even worse problem, the cable company for years refused to carry one of the two sports networks for the area. It cost them thousands of customers to DirecTV and DISH, but didn't care. Finally a month ago they added it to stop the people from dropping cable. Kind of closing the barn door after the horse got out.

Exactly. We had the same thing here. I had been a 20+ year subscriber to local cable. Then, I got a HD TV back in 2004 as I recall. I wanted to watch the PATS games in HD on CBS. But, SusCom Brunswick "couldn't" get WGME 13 HD on its lineup. So, I bolted to D* which didn't have locals in HD on satellite then, but at least was willing to install an antenna with its dish so I could get it OTA in HD.

Comcast acquired SusCom Brunswick in 2006 and by then, WGME 13 CBS HD was on local cable. (Funny how that happened.
) I figured Comcast would upgrade the SusCom MSO and I'd get even more local stations in HD. So I jumped back. Wrong!

Instead Comcast treated its Brunswick outlet as an outcast. And, when the Red Sox got hot in the fall 2007 along with the PATS and both were headed to the playoffs and beyond, Comcast just "couldn't" get the local FOX station on its system in HD. Bandwidth constraints ya know.
So, I left again.

After they just about lost all their customers to D*, Comcast somehow managed to get FOX in HD on its system by the end of the year. (Funny how that bandwidth capacity problem got solved.) Too late for me and lots of others.

Now the Brunswick system is apparently up for sale along with 47 other "small" Comcast outlets they have mismanaged. Meanwhile, top executives have occupied the tallest office tower in Philadelphia which carries the company logo. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comcast...fice_building) . About the size of their egos. One of Parkinson's Laws is that "The better the building, the more likely the organization is at the point of collapse."

We'll see.

Dana

3441 - 3460 of 5188 Posts