AVS Forum banner

5141 - 5160 of 5188 Posts

·
Registered
8,210 Posts
WOW! I didn't know! Thank you for the info! :)

The only tower move I was aware of was WMTW-TV (ABC) channel 8, going from Mount Washington, NH over to Baldwin, ME.

So channel 23 is now in Raymond with channel 13?
Channel 51 is now in Baldwin with channel 8? Are they "sister" stations, too? I know channel 51 was with channel 35 Lewiston before they became WIPL-TV (ION). It's pretty obvious that channel 13 partners with channel 23.
WMTW as been on Bald Mountain in Baldwin Maine since 2015 anyways when I started using OTA......

Yes WPFO is with WGME on Brown Hill in Raymond.

Yes WPXT (CW) is now co-located with WMTW on Bald Mt. in Baldwin, ME. I have seen WPXT show WTMW news so I'm assuming they are sisters......

·
Registered
388 Posts
Strange...I didn't think Portland/Poland Spring was big enough to support two duopolies!

So the stations who stayed in place are 6, 10 and 26. What about channel 35 (ION) of Lewiston?

·
Registered
8,210 Posts
Strange...I didn't think Portland/Poland Spring was big enough to support two duopolies!

So the stations who stayed in place are 6, 10 and 26. What about channel 35 (ION) of Lewiston?
Yup, no location changes for those.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
I will have to keep an eye on this thread to see when WCSH is back on their main antenna. I have a vacation home in Hiram in the shadow of Gould mountain. All Portland area stations are 2 edge for me. I can only get WMTW and WPXT at the moment. All others are too weak and noisy to get a lock. I have a channel master cm-4228hd pointing E NE for WPXT and a Winegard HD7694P pointing south for NH WENH PBS (PBS ch26 in Biddeford is marginal) and it also picks up WMTW ch 8. All others are too weak to receive :(

Hopefully I can get one more channel when they get their new antenna.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
I did reach out to them about it last week and got the following...nothing on dates, but I'm guessing they are working around COVID-19 & Tower Climber availability.

We will be doing more work this summer to get our antenna higher on our tower. We are also doing maintenance to our current system and we needed to reduce power. We hope to be at full power as soon as possible.

DON COUILLARD, Broadcast Supervisor
NEWS CENTER Maine | WCSH 6 & WLBZ 2

·
Registered
116 Posts
So WCSH6 is not broadcasting as usual?
Or not up to full strength yet? Mounted lower?

Might explain things ...

For the longest time I could get WCSH6, sometimes WMTW8 ... under the right conditions, I can get both.
My location plot lists them as 70 miles away with an adjacent channels warning.

Since the rescan thing I'm just getting WMTW, pretty consistently, but no more WCSH6.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
WCSH is using temporary antenna that is 300 feet lower on the tower

They are licensed (final) at 1 million watts 1929 feet
Right now they are at 1 million watts but 1625 feet and its side mounted on the tower

https://enterpriseefiling.fcc.gov/dataentry/public/tv/draftCopy.html?displayType=html&appKey=25076f916fa4bd9c016fb38348bd0105&id=25076f916fa4bd9c016fb38348bd0105&goBack=N

the document mentioning the reasoning
https://enterpriseefiling.fcc.gov/dataentry/api/download/attachment/25076f916fa4bd9c016fb383bbd8013e

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi folks. AVSforum newbie here.

I actually signed up just to say you folks most likely saved me some money.

My wife and I cut the cord a long time ago. I mostly watch via Netflix, but my wife tends to prefer OTA TV with some free streaming via Pluto.

In any case about a month ago my wife mentioned that WCSH 6 out of Portland was coming in pixelated or would not come in at all whereas we have always been able to pick up the major Portland TV stations (and most of the Bangor TV stations with the exception of WVII 7).

I was a bit stymied . . . mostly because I am not all that smart. I did notice one of the elements of our aged Radio Shack antenna was MIA from one of the many snowstorms/windstorms. Didn't think that would be the issue, but couldn't think of any other reason why the signal from WCSH would be degraded.

In any case I began my long search for a new TV antenna and had pretty much settled on buying the gargantuan Winegard 8200U as a replacement antenna (mainly because WLBZ 2 is apparently is still, or rather is back to, a low VHF station. But for the fun of it I decided to look up the information on my old Radio Shack antenna and long story short . . . well maybe not so short . . . I ended up here and then one thing led to another and I ended up in this thread where I am now reading that WCSH 6 is apparently temporarily operating on an antenna located 300 feet lower on the tower.

I guess this means I don't have to keep looking at new TV antennas . . .

That said . . . My wife wants to know if we should replace our 25-year-old antenna, if a newer antenna might bring in more or clearer signals and if we should consider any other antenna besides the Winegard 8200U?

Thank you for the great information.

If I'm reading this right . . . my Rabbit Ear report number is #79994 .

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
That said . . . My wife wants to know if we should replace our 25-year-old antenna, if a newer antenna might bring in more or clearer signals and if we should consider any other antenna besides the Winegard 8200U?
Depends on the model of the older antenna and what its signal gain was, but if it's lost an element then one has to wonder the state of the other elements and this will affect the antennas signal gain. Personally, if it was working before the repack and changes with WCSH, I'd probably wait until WCSH moves their antenna higher this summer to see if the station comes back for you.

Unfortunately your rabbits ear report isn't showing up for me.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Depends on the model of the older antenna and what its signal gain was, but if it's lost an element then one has to wonder the state of the other elements and this will affect the antennas signal gain. Personally, if it was working before the repack and changes with WCSH, I'd probably wait until WCSH moves their antenna higher this summer to see if the station comes back for you.

Unfortunately your rabbits ear report isn't showing up for me.
Thank you for your response.

Oops . . . I never did mention the model of the Radio Shack antenna. As far as I can tell it's the VU-190XR.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Thank you for your response.

Oops . . . I never did mention the model of the Radio Shack antenna. As far as I can tell it's the VU-190XR.
From what I found the average gain on that RS antenna for UHF is 8dBi while the Winegard is 14dBi, that's means quite a bit better ability to pull in stations, about 4 times better as dBi is logarithmic scale. https://antennatestlab.com/antenna-education-tutorials/what-is-antenna-gain-dbi-scale.

The Winegard maybe enough to pull in WCSH on it's current setup.

Also you did rescan in your TV when WCSH made the move in March, they psychically changed to a new RF channel and your TV won't know that without doing a rescan.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
nice antenna. Sold many of those when I worked for Radio Shack in the mid 90s :)

as for an antenna, since most of the Bangor stations are on VHF why not go with 2 antennas? Your existing antenna aimed at Bangor and a separate UHF for Portland
The antenna I've used for many applications is the Newark 30-2370 (I cant post a link as it takes it to the home page of www.newark.com Just enter 30-2370 in the search box). Its a big antenna but has 17db gain

Use their combiner 33-2230 to combine the VHF from the existing antenna and the UHF from the new one

On the existing antenna you would get WBLZ (NBC, Ion, Justice), WABI (CBS, CW, Circle and Decades), WMEB (PBS, Create, World, Kids), WVII (ABC, FOX). The UHF antenna aimed at Portland would possibly yield WGME (CBS, TBD, Stadium), WCSH (NBC, Justiuce, Antenna, Quest) and WPXT (CW). The reason I say possibly is just due to distance.

Another option is a preamplifier. Do you currently have some amplification on the setup?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Just my 0.02. I am far from an antenna guru. We went OTA not too long ago. Ordinarily we'd need something big and installed on top of the roof ... but with Maine winters and multiple stories off the ground, the aesthetics would not be there, could not do a DIY install nor adjustments ... so, settled on a marathon free signal tv. Tried multiple cheaper antennas, amplified bargain to medium priced ones ... none worked.

Right now I have my free signal tv installed near the ground, pointing towards Portland, and can get signals from 60-70 miles away, up to 24 stations total.

My biggest struggle is trying to balance splitting the signal to multiple tvs. Different signal strengths due to weather. Cable run lengths. Over amplification?

Plus, ideally, I'd like to install one in the attic ( I know not ideal ) and combine signal from two of these, with the idea of pointing one to Bangor and one to Portland.

But anyhow. Quite pleased with that antenna. Not cheap, but does the trick. Pays for itself quickly once you have no cable bill to watch the news and public television.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I can tell already that there are some really nice folks here.

To answer some questions . . .

Bac522: Yes. We did rescan the TV and apparently the 300 foot difference in the broadcast antenna made a difference. As it was we were right on the edge of receiving the signal from WCSH . . . my guess is we're now able to get the signal sporadically when the atmospheric conditions are just right.

I may take your advice and just wait things out until Summer to see if the signal improves once the broadcast antenna is moved higher.

UncleHonkey: Yup. We moved into the house in 1995 and it was sometime around that year I bought the Radio Shack antenna. I cannot really complain about it . . . I mean it's been up there in snow, sleet, freezing rain, etc. for 25 years or so. I thought about going with the two antenna solution, but truthfully I think we may have lucked out in being located in a pretty decent spot as we get most of the Bangor stations (no WVII) and (until recently) all of the Portland stations.

At this point I am leaning towards Bac522's way of thinking of waiting until later this Summer to see if things improve . . . or barring that . . . getting a similar "do it all" antenna as long as it meets or exceeds what I currently have for an antenna as the signal strength seems decent enough.

I forgot to mention that I also have a pre-amp -- Radio Shack or Channel Master perhaps that I bought all those years ago, a powered amp splitter (I send the signal to three TVs in total) and I have a rotor.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Sooo . . . I told my wife about this site, WCSH moving the antenna temporarily and how we might be fine with the existing antenna.

She is wondering however if we might get better reception with a newer antenna anyways.

If I want to get it all -- and by all I mean the low VHF stuff along with the high VHF and UHF signals I assume I would need a relatively large antenna.

My thinking at this point is down to the following:

Channel Master CM-3020
Channel Master CM-5020
Winegard HD-8200U

A few questions:

-- Am I missing out on another, perhaps better antenna for my "needs?"

-- Is either company better or worse than the other in terms of quality construction -- I mean I cannot really complain aobut my old Radio Shack antenna missing one of the VHF vanes after all of these years.

-- I'm a little confused as to what would be the better Channel Master antenna . . . or rather which one would best serve my needs, match up to the HD-8200U, etc.

·
Registered
17,276 Posts
So I think it would help if you were clear about what stations you receive now, versus which stations you wish to add. Looking at that report, my immediate thought would be that WMTW is likely not a station you receive or would be able to receive, but I would like to know that for sure. If that's the case, then I would actually recommend two antennas. Something with VHF (low and high) aimed at Bangor, and then a UHF-only aimed at Portland, joined with a UVSJ. This would likely help you bring in everything except WMTW (and WCBB might be a problem, but that's a duplicate of WMEB, so no loss).

- Trip

Reactions: unclehonkey

·
Registered
17,276 Posts
Also, do you receive WGBI-LD? Can you tell if it's on the air? If so, what's it airing?

- Trip

5141 - 5160 of 5188 Posts