AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I apologize in advance if this is a dumb question. I don't have that much experience opening ports in my firewall/ICS. I know how to actually open a port, I just need to know what device to open it on. I use ICS to share my satellite connection and have two 4508s on my network that work on the LAN just fine now (they didn't used to, another story). I want to see if I can share video over the internet now. I've set up the port number on my RTV. I've opened the port on my Zone Alarm Pro firewall. When I go to open the port on my ICS, it will only let me open one port number for one device (I can't open the same port on a different device on the network). Thus, my question.

For internet video sharing with my RTV, do I open the port on the RTV IP address (192.168.0.100) or on my gateway PC (192.168.0.1) in ICS?

Stan

·
Registered
14 Posts
you need to open the port on your gateway. all connections go out or come in through the gateway. are you trying to receive or send shows?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That makes sense. I kinda thought that would be the answer, but I just wasn't sure. I hope to be able to both send and receive shows.

Thanks!

Stan

·
Registered
231 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by s-t-p
I apologize in advance if this is a dumb question.
Now I feel dumb... I've never tried to "open" a port... had the LinkSys BEFSR41 EtherFast® Cable/DSL Router with 4-Port Switch for quite some time but never had a need for any outside manipulation of port authorities beyond the default the router provided.

I now want to prepare the 5040 for Internet Sharing and have given the unit a name... next was to assign a port, which I did... lastly instructions were to "open" this port on the firewall...

OK so after searching the the router password I haven't used in quite some time... I got into the web front end for the router and looked around for where to Open Port 5040 (thought 5040 would be easy to remember)... Well, I can't find how to do this in the manual nor on line... I do see in the Advance section of the router... "forwarding". Best I can guess, this may be it, but I'm not sure... If so, do I simply say

"Ext Port range" 5040 to 5040, UDP and TCP forward to 192.168.1.105 (replayTV). Is this the same as "Opening a port"? If Forwarding is not the same, where do I "Open" the port...

Thought I could figure this one out...

I've been humbled... :(

Sincerely searching for help...

·
Registered
168 Posts
You have indeed figured it out. If you've done what you described to your Linksys you should be in good shape.

In short: The router can figure out what to do if a machine behind your network originates the request. Usually the traffic coming back can be sent to the right place. However, unsolicited incoming traffic to a router needs to be told which machine on the local network is meant to handle incoming traffic to that port. That's what the forwarding menu is for - different terminology, same idea as "opening" the port.

Andy

·
Registered
231 Posts
Great... Now all I need to do is test it... I'll try this when I return later this week from a business trip...

thanks a million for your assistence...

I'm a lillte bit smarter today... :p

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
I've got the BEFSR41 as well...

I opened the port the same way and still am not working.

(BTW... it's covered here: http://www.sonicblue.com/support/replaytv/5000faq.asp

However, on page 15 of the manual, it says:

"Verify that TCP ports 53 (DNS), 123 (NTP), 80 (HTTP) are open. Your router documentation should indicate whether or not those ports are blocked by default."

Well... the BEFSR41 manual doesn't say anthing about that. But I do know that when I go into one of those advanced tabs for to set up port forwards (I can't remember which one because I'm not home to check my router's setup pages) that there were some inactive (ie: NOT enabled) entries for those items (I think the tab was UPNP fwd'ing) or something like that.

Anyone else have to confront this using the BEFSR41? Or was that simple port fwd'ing enought to get you running?

·
Registered
186 Posts
Those ports are normally open by default. You need 53 for DNS and 80 for web browsing. If the RTV can connect, you can assume they're open. And, if you have a channel guide and the correct time on your ReplayTV, then 123 is open as well.

Plyons, can you add people to your addressbook? You also have to make sure you entered the same port # on your ReplayTV under Internet Identity and Addressbook.

Is the IP on your ReplayTV specified? If not, is it different from the IP you have your Linksys router forwarding to?

Lyndon

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
I can in fact add addressees (I tried to send a test show this weekend.... added name OK... but could not send).

I have disabled DHCP and specified the IP on the Replay...

I have also established the port to be used on both the replay and on my router.

I understand what you are saying about those ports.... I just can't figure out why that screen on my Linksys... It's really tucked away. I've been using the router for over a year now without any problems for other things so maybe it's not an issue.

·
Registered
168 Posts
As for the DNS, NTP, and HTTP ports, the manual's not ultra clear on this point, but I think those really only need to be "open" in the outbound direction, so far as I know. I don't think the Replay acts as a server for those things to the Internet at large, although I think it might use port 80 if you use multiple Replays on your home network to stream to each other, but that wouldn't require doing anything on the router. And any home router like the Linksys will send the outbound traffic TO those ports at the other end (used by Replay's servers for Address book, time updating, and guide updating) with no particular action on your part.

Some firewalls specifically require ports to be opened for each type of outbound traffic you want to support, but most NAT-based home routers do not fall into that category.

Furthermore, opening them for inbound connections could actually pose a security risk to your home network, particularly port 80, since many people regularly scan for open web servers, so with the Linksys routers you really ought to only need to do the following:

1) Set up the replay for a static IP outside the range of addresses used by DHCP. It's not necessary to disable DHCP completely, just pick an appropriate address that DHCP won't assign to anything else on your net.

- For example: Your internal network is 192.168.1.x, netmask of 255.255.255.0. Let's say the Linksys DHCP is set up to start at 192.168.1.100, for a range of 32 addresses. Then 192.168.1.2 would be a safe static IP to use for the Replay.

2) Pick a nice port to use up in the many-thousands, say 47000 or something like that. Tell the linksys to forward that port number (TCP) to your replay's static IP.

3) Set up the replay Internet ID to use that port number.

That should be all that's required.

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
That makes sense. I kinda figured if the FAQ on Sonic Blue's site specifially walked through setting up the BEFSR41 and didn't include mention those other ports then they weren't applicable.

Good background on what those ports represent... That makes sense.

And I had a feeling opening them up (to inward traffic) wasn't such a keen idea!

I'm testing tonight with an obliging AVS poster.

Hopefully I'll have good results to report later.

·
Registered
168 Posts
For those who want to try internet sharing, but might not be aware:

There's a nifty little service at www.planetreplay.com, which acts as a sort of clearinghouse to show what people have on their Replays, and to allow people to send messages to each other requesting to have particular shows transmitted over the internet. There's even a special section for asking for test clips to be sent, and a separate area for availability of shows for Replay 5000 users, who as of yet can't share with 4000/4500 users.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.