AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
I'll rent it and then maybe if they release the extended edition I'll pick it up. The movie is pretty unspectacular though I wouldn't say it's worth a double dip.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Hmmm.... nice review on the PQ and AQ side of things. I might pick this up if I can find it cheap enough at some point. Would have preferred an extended cut however. In any case, talking about Wolfgang Petersen, Das Boot is an absolute classic. I wonder if that'll be making it's way to HD-DVD? Anyone know who holds the distribution rights?

·
Registered
545 Posts
The movie is fun, with a great picture and awesome sound. the story is significanlty different from the other two poseidon movies that I wasn't sure who was going to die. Who is going to die, when and how, is basically the movie.

Adam

·
Registered
66 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canary_Jules /forum/post/0

Hmmm.... nice review on the PQ and AQ side of things. I might pick this up if I can find it cheap enough at some point. Would have preferred an extended cut however. In any case, talking about Wolfgang Petersen, Das Boot is an absolute classic. I wonder if that'll be making it's way to HD-DVD? Anyone know who holds the distribution rights?

Columbia (AKA Sony) owns the rights. So look for a Blue Ray not HD-DVD of Das Boot.

·
Registered
3,993 Posts
Nice price at Amazon. I'd certainly grab this movie at the current $20 pricing. It wasn't a great movie but it wasn't that bad either. I've seen a lot of people buying Ultra Violet and that was an asstastic movie in almost all respects (my opinion of course)

·
Registered
8,729 Posts
It seems to have a flawless TrueHD track. But remember, it's probably not as good as PCM.

It would be good to once again see people compare the two types of audio encoding using two different movies.

(Note: I was being sarcastic, but it's reflective of the nonsense you see on this forum)

·
Registered
23,188 Posts
I personally found the extra about rogue waves from the history channel to be fascinating. I fast forwarded through much of the movie just watching parts that looked interesting, but from what I saw it looked great. The rogue wave documentary was SD, but I enjoyed it more than I think I would have enjoyed the movie if I had watched all of that at normal speed.

--Darin

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
It's funny how the review mentioned the two specific flaws being softness and noise which is exactly what I said yesterday only I found it to be much more problematic. In fact, some of the darker scenes were so noisy I felt like I was watching dish tv on a stormy night. And I also found the documentary very fascinating.

·
Registered
3,993 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlreddragon /forum/post/0

It's funny how the review mentioned the two specific flaws being softness and noise which is exactly what I said yesterday only I found it to be much more problematic. In fact, some of the darker scenes were so noisy I felt like I was watching dish tv on a stormy night. And I also found the documentary very fascinating.

Well you and Darin just sold this title for me. I LOVE extras that actually inform me. I don't like to see extras in which Actor A lavished Director B with gobs of praise. Blech.

I look forward to watching this piece on Rogue waves.

·
Registered
2,213 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlreddragon /forum/post/0

Read more carefully he said that it was only an issue in a very few scenes. Second the guy gave this a 4.5 and has only given like two other movies a 5. I really don't see where you are coming from.

·
Registered
645 Posts
i watched it last night on the xbox addon i thought the PQ was ok ALOT better than the dvd i tried DD 5.1 for audio first then i tried TRUEHD and it came in louder do not know why because the xbox does not have truehd sound but it did come in louder.i enjoyed the movie and plan on watching it again.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topweasel /forum/post/0

Read more carefully he said that it was only an issue in a very few scenes. Second the guy gave this a 4.5 and has only given like two other movies a 5. I really don't see where you are coming from.

What do you mean read more carefully?! Did he not say the two problems were softness and noise? Did I also not say that I found it to be much more problematic than the reviewer did? And what do you mean you don't see where I'm coming from?? I just said I found the same flaws only I was more bothered by them. What part of that didn't you understand? Honestly, I really don't see where you're coming from.

Peter Bracke:
Quote:
'Poseidon' does suffer from a bit of noisiness on very dark shots, and every now and again there is still a bit softness that flattens out depth.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.