AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
3,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I watched Poseidon last night and I was very disturbed to see from the opening shots that this was another very soft transfer from Warner, following after the very soft transfer in Batman Begins, as well as Superman Returns. Harry Potter isn't soft, but as we all know, HP hasn't been released in the U.S. Has someone at Warner made a policy decision that this kind of softness is an acceptable price to pay for eliminating all grain and noise? Is this kind of softness something we can expect to see on all future Warner transfers? Can we expect to see this on New Line transfers as well?

·
Registered
628 Posts
Its nothing to do with the transfers. That is the visual style of the movies.

Superman Returns looked identical on digital projection in the theatre. Same thing with V for Vendetta. If their transfers were at fault, then Training Day, ATL, Swordfish etc, would be equally soft.

The technicians can't start playing with the sharpness knobs to counteract the filters and lighting that were used during the filmmaking.

·
Registered
3,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi /forum/post/0

Cjplay had explicitly stated that Warner does not do any noise/grain reduction. So my best guess is that what you see is just the way the masters are.

It seems very surprising to me that films with two different directors such as Poseidon and Batman Begins would have exactly the same soft, grain-free look.

·
Registered
3,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larryad /forum/post/0

I only looked at the beginning of the film so far, but from what I saw the transfer looks damn good. There's also a review up at Hi Def Digest that gives it an excellent grade for PQ as well.

Many people think BB looks very good. Others, including me, think BB looks soft.

·
Registered
545 Posts
You do the know that he first 2.5 min of Poseidon is completely cgi. I think the ballroom is completely sharp.

Adam

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
Batman Begins is not soft. At all.

·
Banned
1,888 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larryad /forum/post/0

I only looked at the beginning of the film so far, but from what I saw the transfer looks damn good. There's also a review up at Hi Def Digest that gives it an excellent grade for PQ as well.

I couldn't agree more. Poseidon looks and sounds terrific. How anyone can find fault with the transfer of Batman Begins (which has been universally praised) and this film boggles my mind.

·
Registered
3,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronSCH /forum/post/0

I couldn't agree more. Poseidon looks and sounds terrific. How anyone can find fault with the transfer of Batman Begins (which has been universally praised) and this film boggles my mind.

Batman Begins has not been universally praised. There have been many discussions in this forum where a number of posters have registered dissatisfaction with the softness.

·
Registered
4,058 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick99 /forum/post/0

Batman Begins has not been universally praised. There have been many discussions in this forum where a number of posters have registered dissatisfaction with the softness.

I have read those discussions, but came to the conclusion that with some many different setups people will get different results. I am extremely criticle when it comes to video quality and didnt think BB was soft.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I thought Superman Returns was soft myself, but if that approximates the original theatrical presentation, then that's how I want it to be.

·
Registered
100 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick99 /forum/post/0

A number of posters have commented that the IMAX version was not soft.

Does that mean much? I would think that IMAX version have been heavily processed in order to be enlarged and therefore sharpened? Just guessing, but I would hardly use IMAX as the bellweather of the director's original intent, unless the film was made for IMAX to begin with, which this one was not.

·
Banned
4,488 Posts
Can we officially say then that Peter Bracke doesn't know what the hell he's talking about?

"I'm happy to report that this 2.40:1 widescreen 1080p/VC-1 transfer is indeed terrific, boasting some truly amazing moments. There is a shot early on when Josh Lucas walks down a flight of stairs in the ship's grand ballroom, and I am embarrassed to admit I almost gasped. It's brimming with detail -- the gold accents shimmer, Lucas' eyes are an impossibly mesmerizing shade of blue, and the picture is so three-dimensional it is hard to imagine a video image looking any better."
http://hddvd.highdefdigest.com/poseidon.html

I read this yesterday and watched the first 5 minutes or so last night. I saw detail but I was also a bit underwhelmed. I thought maybe it picked up later on so I went ahead and placed it in Tier 1 below Scooby, but I was thinking it didn't really look to me like it deserved that placement.

The bottom line is that I've just got to watch the whole thing.

·
Banned
4,488 Posts
I saw Poseidon on IMAX too and I thought it looked fantastic. I also think the Poseidon HD DVD looks much better than the Superman Returns HD DVD.

I was not dissapointed with the way Poseidon looks, I was just expecting more because of Peter's ravings.

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
Batman Begins looks sharp to me, probably one of the sharpest I've viewed so far. I haven't seen Poseidon, so I can't comment there. If Batman Begins looks like a soft transfer on your system, then I would suspect the problem is there.

What kind of equipment are you using? Do you have a 1080p display or is it just a 720p display? Maybe something is getting lost in translation. I've only watched a few Warner HD-DVD's on my Samsung 1080p DLP, but so far all of them have looked really sharp, with the exception of Superman Returns.

·
Registered
3,644 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnorris /forum/post/0

Batman Begins looks sharp to me, probably one of the sharpest I've viewed so far. I haven't seen Poseidon, so I can't comment there. If Batman Begins looks like a soft transfer on your system, then I would suspect the problem is there.

Then why do other titles like THE HULK, SEARCHERS and KING KONG look razor sharp on my setup but BATMAN BEGINS looks a little soft?

A lot of us have had the same issue with the disc. not EVERY scene is soft. there are some sharp segments, but some segments that have softness far beyond what I saw in the theater.

That being said, it looks about a thousand times better than Superman Returns on my setup.

oleus

1 - 20 of 72 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.