AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I watched Poseidon last night and I was very disturbed to see from the opening shots that this was another very soft transfer from Warner, following after the very soft transfer in Batman Begins, as well as Superman Returns. Harry Potter isn't soft, but as we all know, HP hasn't been released in the U.S. Has someone at Warner made a policy decision that this kind of softness is an acceptable price to pay for eliminating all grain and noise? Is this kind of softness something we can expect to see on all future Warner transfers? Can we expect to see this on New Line transfers as well?

I have posted this same question in the HD DVD software forum, but it seems to me this is a sufficiently serious issue to deserve to be raised here as well.

·
Banned
4,969 Posts
Poseidon was the first HD DVD I watched on my brand new MBR set-up. I home bound on a medical issue so my wife had our A team custom install a killer system as a getting home gift.

When I came home from the hospital tonight I was shocked to see Pioneer's Elite PRO-FHD1 50" 1080p plasma hanging on the wall. I won't bore you with details but of course, Wendy did not forget a killer custom installed audio system to complete this wonderful high end system.

So far I only watched Poseidon and it was extremely sharp to my eye. Not having any comparison for reference makes me no expert, but the pq was certainly looked extremely sharp to me. So far we have an A2 and Panasonic's BMP-BD-10 BD player connected due to shortages of XA2s and Pioneer's Elite BD players but I am very anxious to see this baby perform with 1080p 24 Hz feed to it. (BTW, I love Panasonic's BD player.)

Patrick I'm sure you're right, but at this time I can't concur based on my observations of Warner's Poseidon HD DVD. Looking forward to hearing other member's opinions and for me to watch many more HD DVD and BD movies on this system so I can get a better feel for the highest quality HD this system can deliver. I'm waiting for a XA2 and BDP-HD1 Elite BD customer returns to make one more upgrade.

BTW, good movie as well.

-Robert

·
Registered
3,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTV TiVo Dealer /forum/post/0

Patrick I'm sure you're right, but at this time I can't concur based on my observations of Warner's Poseidon HD DVD. Looking forward to hearing other member's opinions

-Robert

Robert, thanks for your response. Many people don't see any softness in Batman Begins. Many other people do see softness in BB. How does BB look to you?

·
Registered
6,072 Posts
Patrick, please give us more information on your display. Resolution, connection, etc.

I just watched a little bit of this and it is definitely not very soft. Very natural film grain, good detail, etc. No it's not King Kong or Aeon Flux, but it certainly doesn't fit your descripton of very soft when viewed on my system. The grain is very unobtrusive and there is absolutely no visible EE. This may tend to mislead, but I was able to easily see individual strands of hair. IMHO, Something very soft would not show this kind of details.

Sony Qualia 004, Isco Cinema DLP anamorphic lens, 1080 HDMI from an HTPC with an NVidia 8800GTX, running PowerDVD Ultra scaled with YXY for a constant height, 5' x 12' screen. Viewed from1.1x screen width.

Vern

·
Registered
7,935 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTV TiVo Dealer /forum/post/0

I'm home bound on a medical issue

Sorry to hear that. Get well soon Robert.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.