AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Does it make a difference if the tweeter or the woofer is nearer the TV when placed on it's side when used as front speakers in a 5.1 system.. (due to space)

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
It probably will make little difference, but beware, unless the speakers are specifically designed to be placed on their sides, they will lkely sound like crap compared to being upright. Horizontal speakers are a compromise in the best cases, but if not designed for it, they can be a disaster.

·
Banned
15,491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdcrox  /t/1522681/position-of-bookshelf-speakers#post_24486974

unless the speakers are specifically designed to be placed on their sides, they will lkely sound like crap compared to being upright. Horizontal speakers are a compromise in the best cases, but if not designed for it, they can be a disaster.
That's true of multiple woofer cabs, but single woofer/tweeter cabs aren't that bad.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
He might get lucky! I mean you are a true expert Bill, but based on my experience, it was pretty disappointing when placed on sides. I even had an old pair of AR12 3-ways (my first NICE speaker, bought new in 1979), and they even had the name badge on a swivel post for horizontal mounting. I just could never get them to sound good on their sides. They were outstanding vertically, however!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts