AVS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings,
I am starting my new theater build.
Room 21x18x10. New build, currently in framing stage.
I am debating on the position of the riser... and how the doors open.
Door opening in will push the seating closer to the screen.
Door opening out will allow the seating to be further from the screen.
or "barn door"?
I don't know yet the screen size, most likely between 140 and 160.
Suggestions? idea?
Thank you.

Door in
Rectangle Product Slope Font Line

Door out or Barn door.
Rectangle Product Slope Font Line

Original floor plan
Rectangle Font Line Parallel Schematic

·
Registered
586 Posts
hi mate, entry HT builder here but once i reversed my normal inward opening door i would NEVER change it back.

as for a "barn door" opening in.. why? thats twice as worse as a single door opening in haha.

now i must say 18' wide room is screaming for front wide speakers with the front 3 behind an A/T screen.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
13,645 Posts
Also make sure your final positioning does not result in your seated ears being at the exact 1/2 or 3/4 point in the room. Make it an uneven divisible of the room length (front to back).

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
what frame? you leave the door and the walls the same just turn the seating riser and screen.
Got you!
16ft doesnt allow me to fit 2 row correctly imo.

·
Registered
586 Posts
if around that 10' front row a 150" 2.35:1 screen should work, is that 10' reclined?

the riser needs enough space to walk on in front of the seats but not sure how much space you have allowed between the 2 rows, maybe cut back a little? "youthman" on youtube sits 9' from his 150" 2.35:1 screen, if your screen is 16:9 your front row may have some problems depending on content being watched.

·
RETIRED theater builder
36,652 Posts
Got you!
16ft doesnt allow me to fit 2 row correctly imo.
in your first optional seating plan you only use 15 ft. I hate designs where you walk in behind an elevated row of seating.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
if around that 10' front row a 150" 2.35:1 screen should work, is that 10' reclined?

the riser needs enough space to walk on in front of the seats but not sure how much space you have allowed between the 2 rows, maybe cut back a little? "youthman" on youtube sits 9' from his 150" 2.35:1 screen, if your screen is 16:9 your front row may have some problems depending on content being watched.
Seat not reclined.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Assuming you stick with the current layout, then I have two recommendations.

1. I agree with doors opening out in general then you get more flexibility if you want to add anything in the back of the room.

2. And importantly, I would really recommend the riser go all the way to the back of the room. From a trip hazard perspective, people having to step up through the door in my head is less of a hazard than the step up/step down for people going to the front row. This assumes the riser is about a normal step high.

In fact if I was doing that I would seriously consider extending the raised floor/ riser to the short hall so people step up as they make the turn to the theater and probably include the equipment closet.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yes step up outside the theater is a great solution. Here is a project I did from an Erskine design
I like that! thank you for sharing, I will see if this can be done.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts