·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi group,

First, my EQ lineup:

Toshiba 55hx70 HDTV ready TV.

Toshiba DST-3000 STB.

OTA rooftop ant w/rotater.(Picks up ABC,NBC & FOX @ 100%,and CBS @ 65% signal strength)

Also [email protected] digital cable (Not Hi-Def) and Directv.

1) When I switch the 3000 to 1080i and the hx70 to one of the HD inputs, the picture looks like the relief maps I used to study in school. What I mean is, they are like contour lines all over the picture.They are also filled in with shades of light and dark like a paint by number picture. Under all of this the picture looks clean and sharp. Has anybody run into this problem before and if so, what is the fix? It seems to look the same if I'm upcoverting 480i to 1080i or watching Leno in 1080i.

2) My APG fills in the show discriptions for all the Directv and local OTA stations, but not the local digital feeds or any of the AT&T cable stations. They just read "regular schedule". I entered all my zipcode info but so far no discriptions. I called Directv and was told to call toshiba. When I called toshiba, they said call Directv. (Bet you never heard that one before) Is there a phone number that would put me in touch

with a national APG database to see if I could this fixed?

3) Last, but not least, I read that the Mits box and the Toshiba box are basically the same chassis. Has anyone investigated the posibility of converting the the Toshiba box to RF by purchasing the Mits remote and plugin or is toshiba going to offer it as an add on option? The RF jack on the back of my Dst-3000 is crying for some use.

Sorry this post is so long but I would like to clear up some of these issues if I can.

Thanks in advance to you experts out there and I'm looking forward to all your replies.

Ben Music

(Things that make me go Hummmm.)

[This message has been edited by Ben Music (edited 06-27-2001).]

·
Registered
29 Posts
Ben,

In regards to issue #1...

I have recently purchased the DST3000 and have noticed the same phenomenon you have with the contouring. I think this is also called "gradient". I liken it to the difference between running 16 bit color under Windows instead of 24 bit. When in 16 bit, you can see the "gradations" in colors that have alot of light-to-dark transitions...for instance Sunsets, Blue Skies, or underwater shots.

I noticed this almost immediately on my Panasonic CT34WX50, because I'm very picky with my video quality.

Setting at a distance of at least 8 feet away, I don't notice it 95% of the time. But no matter how far away I sit, I can still see it when the screen "fades-in" from totally black to say...a Sunset scene or totally blue sky. You can actually see the "gradations" as they are painted. But once the entire screen is filled and with the image, it goes away.

I've almost come to the conclusion that this has to be a slight flaw in our units because even Gary Merson did not notice this when he reviewed it recently in The Perfect Vision and I've read many reviews by other users and no one else mentions it.

Since I've seen your post, I'm now starting to wonder if we don't need to call Toshiba to see about a replacement or something. I've only had mine about 1 month. I love it except for this.

Thanks for the post! I thought I was the only one to notice this.

Eric

[email protected]

·
Registered
10 Posts
Have you tried adjusting your monitor's settings? When I first got my STB (Hughes E86) I was very disappointed in directv's standard definition channels, it was worse than the my old RCA DRD480RE. Then I remembered each video input had it's own setting. The HD2 input was set to the default "torch mode", something like 100 contrast, brightness, and sharpness.

Try turning sharpness down to 0, contrast and brightness to 50% or less as a start.

·
Registered
29 Posts
All my video inputs have been calibrated using Avia and VE. On all inputs, the Contrast is set very low. And my black level is set just right. Although, I will agree, if these settings are set to the factory settings, it makes things even worse. It does help to tame any visual defects in the video signal if everything is set properly. But I can still see the "color gradient/contour" problem that Ben reports.

Eric

[email protected]

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Eric,

Thanks for your comments on our mutual "color gradient/contour" problem. I played around with it again yesterday, and now that I know that you also have the same problem, I'm convinced that this is not right.

I ran my settings up and down the scale with no help. Even with color set at zero the picture was the same, only in gradient shades of black and white. With a screen size of 55 inches, and a watch distance of 10 feet, it really looks bad.

I watched Jay Leno last night which I think is 1080i, and sat here feeling that if this "gradient/contour" effect were stripped away, the picture that was left would be perfect. I'm kind of disappointed that no one else has jumped in on this with a fix or a definate answer as to what is wrong. You and I can't be the only ones that have had this problem. Where do we go from here?

By the way, do you have any thoughts on issue#2 (Advanced Program Guide problem) or issue#3 (RF remote option)?

Thanks again for your comments.

Ben Music

·
Registered
70 Posts
ISSUE #2 IS A PROBLEM FOR ME TOO. THE KEY IS TO FIND OUT IF OTHER PEOPLE RECEIVING THE SAME OTA CHANNELS AS YOU ARE, BUT WITH DIFFERENT RECEIVERS. IF THEY CAN GET THE GUIDE WITH, SAY DTC-100, THEN THE DST-3000 HAS A PROBLEM!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Ben,

Sorry, I can't help with #2 and #3. I bought mine only for OTA HD. I might eventually get DirectTV though. So I really haven't spent much time trying to work with the program guides. And I have no idea about #3.

I think I'm going to call Toshiba when I get a chance, to see what they can do. Although, they will probably deny it as a problem with their unit and try to blame it on my TV or something.

I'm watching the PBS HD demo loop as I write this and on my 34" Panny Tau I'd say the problem is NOT noticeable 95% of the time. But there is a huge difference in 34" and 55". I can imagine that it is only magnified on your larger set. Also, your unit may be more defective than mine...who knows? But even when I see it on mine, it's still annoying.

I at first thought there was a problem with how my TV handled 1080i, but after reading you comments, I'm certain it's not the TV's fault.

This is frustrating because I specifically bought the Toshiba after everyone said it's channel switching was faster and the overall picture was slightly better than some of the other STBs.

I think I haven't jumped on this already because for one thing, nobody else was noticing it, even in the major magazine reviews, and becuase I was simply so floored by the beauty of HDTV that this small issue didn't seem to matter.

Maybe one of us should post another message on this forum and title it "Color Contouring on DST3000?" to try and get others attention?

I'd be very interested to know if Gary Merson has seen this.

Thanks,

Eric

[email protected]

·
Registered
70 Posts
ericrgb:

What i meant about my post is that the dst-3000 does not show the program guide for over the air HDTV channels. For example, here in columbus, we only get CBS in HD (which is 21-1). the regular NTSC channels show up on the guide (i.e 10 wbns cbs shows whats on in the program guide, but for the digital channel(s), it only lists "regular schedule"). Per the posts above, toshiba says its a direct tv prob and direct tv says its toshiba. If i can find other users in columbus, for example, that are using different receivers (i.e rca dtc-100, sony hd100, etc.) but their receivers show the program guide for 21-1, then we know it is the dst-3000 that as the prob (not direct tv or AGP).

·
Registered
29 Posts
iwantmyhdtvnow,

I understand what you are saying. I just haven't taken the time to fool around with that on mine yet. But I will have to check that out and see if it works for me. The only HD channel in my area right now is PBS.

I'll check it out and let you know.

Thanks,

Eric

·
Registered
70 Posts
ericrgb:

No problem!! if you know anyone else in your area watching PBS in hd ( which might be hard http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif ) using a different receiver, ask them if they can see the program guide. We need people to compare these receivers within each others market area to determine the problem and get toshiba off their ass to repair their crap products!! My 40h80 is in the shop and the dst-300 needs a update bad! and the fact that my dad is a vp makes things even worse!!

[This message has been edited by iwantmyhdtvnow (edited 06-27-2001).]

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
iwantmyhdtvnow,

When you switch your dst-3000 to hd, do you get super clear pictures on shows like csi or Jay Leno, with no blotchie effects?

Ben Music

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.