AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I received a very dusty NAD 3020 from someone. I heard from a person that Dixie is great for contacts and circuit boards and that the receiver would work great after applying it. I was pleased because I had the D5 solution. So, I thoroughly cleaned it compressed air. Then, I applied 2 coats of short bursts of Deoxit to the entire inside. Sometime later, I heard from someone else that I wasn't supposed to do that. How bad did I mess it up and if I did, what can I do to fix it. I have not plugged it in and turned it one yet. Thank you!

·
Banned
14,420 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicknight  /t/1522170/possible-amp-cleaning-oops#post_24471660

I received a very dusty NAD 3020 from someone. I heard from a person that Dixie is great for contacts and circuit boards and that the receiver would work great after applying it.

You just violated rule number one of audio gear repair: If is not broke, don't fix it!
Quote:
I was pleased because I had the D5 solution. So, I thoroughly cleaned it compressed air.

So far so good. Then you turned it on and tested it - in my dreams! ;-)
Quote:
Then, I applied 2 coats of short bursts of Deoxit to the entire inside.

Fail!

Quote:
Sometime later, I heard from someone else that I wasn't supposed to do that.

Person #2 seems to be the wiser person.
Quote:
How bad did I mess it up and if I did, what can I do to fix it.

Depends how thick stuff is coated. At the very least it might be a dust catcher and holder.

Deoxit is for intermittent electrical contacts., noisy volume controls, etc.
Quote:
I have not plugged it in and turned it one yet. Thank you!

At least this wasn't tubed equpment. I'm thinking that the heat of normal operation might slowly drive the Deoxit film off without much harm.

The alternative would be to use the right solvent to remove the Deoxit, but that could do even more harm.

If there is any visible Deoxit on the surfaces of the equipment gently wipe it off with clean wipes. Move on and hope for the best!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts