AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
6,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If this is true you may be seeing Blu-ray exclusive titles for download soon.

This just in: Possible Blu-ray title/volume key exploit found on PS3

"I have received numerous (more than 3) independent reports that an exploit has been found on the PS3 that will reveal the title/volume keys for Blu-ray disks using a PS3. The procedure involves some minor modding of the boot process and Linux.

I have not been told of the exact process but the information makes it seem that the process is not that difficult once you know what you are doing and the lengthy steps are duplicated.

I do not own a PS3 so there is no way for me to deny/verify any of this information."

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
If true, it's not surprising. I was shocked that Sony as going to allow alternate operating systems on the PS3 for this very reason.

·
Banned
79 Posts
this is a combination of misinformation, and already covered in another thread. back in december people figured they could dump encrypted blu-ray data to the hard drive with linux. totally worthless, just like opening a dvd in windows explorer and copying the video files somewhere else.

admins lock this thread please

·
Registered
6,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figgie /forum/post/0

repost

info is on the AACS Not So Cracked After All thread which you started

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&post9482930

Thanks, didn't realize that. It may be similar to what Muslix64 has done. AACS has not been cracked on either HD DVD or Blu-ray, but if the keys can be accessed then the movies can easily be posted online.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixie Ruptin /forum/post/0

this is a combination of misinformation, and already covered in another thread. back in december people figured they could dump encrypted blu-ray data to the hard drive with linux. totally worthless, just like opening a dvd in windows explorer and copying the video files somewhere else.

admins lock this thread please

A possible key exploit is different than simply dumping an image. If they can in fact get the keys, then you'll see decrypted Blu-ray titles hit the web.

·
Registered
31 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightWatcher /forum/post/0

A possible key exploit is different than simply dumping an image. If they can in fact get the keys, then you'll see decrypted Blu-ray titles hit the web.

Any owners from either camp deluding themselves into thinking their format is safe need to accept the reality that both will be hacked and both will be distributed. It was only a matter of time for HD DVD, and Blu Ray will follow, no matter how many other measures are implemented. Hackers will always find a way.

And you can bet they're having a ball sticking it to MS (their all-time favorite target) and will dedicate similar energy to hitting Sony (payback for rootkit?).

·
Registered
5,067 Posts
The volume key is something extracted from the content using the vendor key assigned to the player and stored in a secure chip (probably the same one that holds the HDCP keys for HDMI).

The HD DVD player hack was they were able to recover the volume keys in memory WHILE THE PLAYER IS RUNNING.

I just can't see how this is possible with a reboot. AACS is quite clear on the requirement of wiping the memory when a transition from the protected app occurs. This is one of the things that makes resume difficult. Even stopping playback is supposed to cause the state to be wiped.

Gary

·
Registered
23,188 Posts
Given that it looks like the same method should work on a PC with Blu-ray as with HD DVD, I don't think they need a hole in the PS3 in order to get content into the free right now. Somebody would need a Blu-ray PC drive though. Having the keys probably makes it easier to find holes with other devices and it will be interesting to see where this story with the PS3 goes.

--Darin

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
I find this hard to believe. PS3 is built in with robust security measures. one of which is to have an SPE providing security functions which can be completely isolated from the rest of the system. my understanding is that linux runs on top of the PS3 OS, it doesn't have any access to any low level functionality, or am I wrong?

if/when AACS is compromised on BD, I seriously doubt it will be done on a PS3, IMHO.

·
Registered
628 Posts
This may be true, but the blogger (unnamed as far as I can tell) doesn't seem to have much of a basis for his or her report. The blogger simply claims they have been told by several sources that this is possible, but no details to back it up:

"I have not been told of the exact process but the information makes it seem that the process is not that difficult once you know what you are doing and the lengthy steps are duplicated."

So why didn't any of the sources give the blogger the process? As I said, this is certainly possible, but anyone can claim anything, so it's hard to give it much credence without the actual process being revealed.

·
Registered
357 Posts
This needs a title change, for one anonymous guy to report that 3 other anonymous guys told him blu-ray volume keys were cracked hardly falls under "possible".

And yet, it should only be a matter of time before they crack the blu-ray discs wide open also. That list of HD-DVD volume key's on Muslix's forum is growing every day.

·
Registered
6,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spektricide /forum/post/0

This needs a title change, for one anonymous guy to report that 3 other anonymous guys told him blu-ray volume keys were cracked hardly falls under "possible".

He didn't say they were possibly cracked. The title is correct.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Paul /forum/post/0

I find it interesting that the same HD DVD supporters who advised caution on the HD DVD exploit by Muslix are so quick to jump on a single blog entry that says absolutely nothing about the supposed exploit found on the PS3.

I agree we need to wait and see on the PS3. My guess is anyday were are going to see the Muslix exploit used with the BD version of WinDVD.

Chris

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
if the BD discs are only using AACS then its already as hacked as HD dvd . We justh ave to wait for someone to use the eploit on a bluray drive using win dvd .

Most likely cost is the only reason why it hasn't happened yet

·
Registered
5,067 Posts
That's what the Doom9 people are saying in response to "HD Hell" and his accusation that the HD DVD one is the work of anti-HD DVD forces.

Gary

·
Registered
5,067 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Paul /forum/post/0

I find it interesting that the same HD DVD supporters who advised caution on the HD DVD exploit by Muslix are so quick to jump on a single blog entry that says absolutely nothing about the supposed exploit found on the PS3.

I'll do you one better:

Accusation it is anti-HD DVD

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Hell /forum/post/0

Hi muslix64 - I'm one of those who thinks that you are doing this as a partisan attack on HD DVD. I suspect that you are going to stall on the Blu-Ray version of this.

Are you going to prove me wrong, or just continue to stall? I suspect you could have the Blu-Ray version working in only a couple of days given the work you have already done here.

It's not fair that you attack only one format - if you are true to what you say you are, you would have already released a Blu-Ray version of this program by now...

Color me skeptical of your true motives at the moment.

Sound at all familiar?

And then, the rallying cry

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Hell /forum/post/0

With full respect, apologies to anyone who took that as a personal attack.

Now, doesn't anyone here have a Blu-Ray drive of any sort? Using it with the Power DVD software should allow the keys to be seen in the same way. It seems right that one should be able to back up one's Blu-Ray discs as well.

Let's get a head start until someone releases a mod'ed version of "backup".

So, trying to rally the troops to exploit it on BD. A rather sleezy HD DVD fanboy move.

Gary

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
You know, I am tired of all the people pirating movies and downloading them and haxxing shheet....it is annoying to me...and for the life of me i dont see how any average consumer is going to download these humongous files to burn to a disc and then watch, maybe for bragging rights???

This does not affect the studios one bit...they allready know you will have a 1% of the population who will jump through all the hoops necessary to hack these new formats just to say they pwned MS/Sony......the casual downloader will not do all this as he/she does not have the time because WE have jobs....

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.