AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of using this Barebones case and MB (Intel 945GC chipset) for a low to mid level build

Newegg

My main concern is that according to the Asus spec page only these CPU's are compatible:

Prescott, Smithfield, Cedarmill, Presler, Conroe

I was trying to find which CPU would be acceptable on Newegg.

My goal is to put in a pciE graphics card with HDMI to handle high def video content (and use MB on board audio) to play 1080p MKV files, and possible blu ray discs.

Could I get by with getting a slow, low watt CPU like this Celeron 430 Conroe and let the GPU handle the high def video processing? If so, what video card would be powerful enough?

I will be using a 50" LG 720 plasma that has HDMI or VGA for the diplay. Audio will be pushed via s/pdif out to an older 5.1 DD/DTS AVR.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts or input. I tried a search for the intel 945gc chipset in this forum, no specific hits.

·
Registered
708 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickchucker /forum/post/15502148

I am thinking of using this Barebones case and MB (Intel 945GC chipset) for a low to mid level build

Newegg

My main concern is that according to the Asus spec page only these CPU's are compatible:

Prescott, Smithfield, Cedarmill, Presler, Conroe

I was trying to find which CPU would be acceptable on Newegg.

My goal is to put in a pciE graphics card with HDMI to handle high def video content (and use MB on board audio) to play 1080p MKV files, and possible blu ray discs.

Could I get by with getting a slow, low watt CPU like this Celeron 430 Conroe and let the GPU handle the high def video processing? If so, what video card would be powerful enough?

I will be using a 50" LG 720 plasma that has HDMI or VGA for the diplay. Audio will be pushed via s/pdif out to an older 5.1 DD/DTS AVR.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts or input. I tried a search for the intel 945gc chipset in this forum, no specific hits.

I would go with a slower Conroe, those celeron chips are a PITA - technically, yes the GPU could handle the HD content fine. If you're playing HD content - you'll be better going analog out to your old receiver multich in - however, I'd get a sound card for that first. Blue gears b-enspirer makes a great sound card for the $. That way you can at least start hearing HD noise from your speakers

In terms of what Video Card, I'd say any ATI series 600 or higher. IE - 2600PRO, 3600, 4650 - the 4650 would probably be your best bet as it's pretty solid. I'm selling my old 2600pro if you interested.

Just keep researching and don't make any hasty decisions until you know that you know this is the best setup for the $ for you.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts