AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a several month old Panasonic G10 with what I estimate to be about 200-300 hours of viewing time on it. It is a movie room TV so it doesn't get much usage.

I did do the 120 hours of break in when I first got the set using the procedure found here and with the break in slides running from SD card.

I use custom mode with Contrast at 50, Brightness at 60, and colour at 40. These are pretty conservative settings that I use for all viewing.

This past weekend, I rented the game Prototype for Xbox 360, and what an awesome game it is. It has all the elements I love in a game -- free roam city, multiple approaches to missions, sci-fi military horror backdrop, great controls, and captivating story. I've been playing it almost non stop for two days.

I think I have put in close to 20-25 hours over the course of the weekend, and I'm one misson from finishing the game.

However, this evening I put in the Watchmen Blu Ray and noticed right away that during the opening green screen that a HUD logo from the game was burned into my set.

Here is a screenshot from the game. Notice the HUD display on the lower left corner has some circular white outlines. Those white outlines have left a shadow on the screen that is visible in all blank images except for pure white and grey. So this shows up in all of the green, blue and red break in slides. The 2nd image shows an approximation of what the burn in looks like.

I tried to leave the scrolling bar 'eraser' on but it shuts off after some time. So right now I have the break in slides scrolling and will leave them on overnight to see what happens tomorrow. It's already been an hour and the burn in is still there and still very visible.

Any other suggestions?

The funny thing is, the previous game I played, Resident Evil 5 was right before this one and I played it and nothing else for about the same number of hours, 20 or so, and have had no ill effects from the HUD in that game. Although the HUD in that game does not contain white outlines, only grey ones. See below.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Resident Evil 5 has enough cutscenes that burn-in shouldn't be a problem. I did get Prototype, but I haven't really played it yet, but from what I heard there aren't too many cutscenes, so the HUD is up for more time in Prototype. The burn-in should disappear over time. If not, does Panasonic's warranty cover it?

·
Registered
33 Posts
What did you have your pixel orbiter settings set to, out of curiosity? I'm leaning towards IR, mainly because I imagine you didn't walk southeast for the entire game. (and because only outlines have the problem, not the other static parts of the HUD) Check back tomorrow after running the slides overnight to see if it's at least gotten lighter, if not completely disappeared.

Also, try slightly lower brightness; 60 seems a bit high from the other stuff I've read. *shrug*

·
Registered
33 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MICHAELSD /forum/post/16939484

If not, does Panasonic's warranty cover it?

From what I've been researching, burn-in (not IR) is considered "abuse" and isn't covered by either Panasonic's warranty or most of the extended ones out there. The Geek Squad warranty seems to be the one exception I've found so far that covers burn-in, but I've heard some not so positive things about them.

Hopefully it isn't this easy to burn something in--I've managed to convince myself to stick with my decision to go plasma after scaring myself reading the forums enough to consider LCD options.

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
Running the break-in slides are not meant for getting rid of image retention.

Image retention is uneven wear. So by theory, if you just run the break-in slides too try to reverse uneven wear, Its either not going to work, or will take a long time.

I would try regular content. Just turn it to an HD cable station and let it play over night. Make sure its something like HBO HD or MaxHD, and not a channel that runs standard def late at night with black bars on the side (which alot of stations do).

Turn the pixel orbitor on, run regular content overnight for one night, and then if its not gone do it for another night. It should go away.

·
Registered
6,045 Posts
I suggest in the future to not play for so many consecutive hours. Not just because of IR, but because of having a life. Maybe every 3 hours, take a break and watch a TV show for 30 minutes.

Why bother letting it run overnight? Why not just use it for something other than playing the same game. Honestly, if you follow the advice of many on this thread, your TV will spend more time getting rid of IR or breaking in than actual watching.

Will the image go away? No one knows. You'll have to wait and see.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Awfully premature to label this "permanent". I'd at least give it 24 hours before making that proclamation

I'd finish up your game and let the set run some mixed full screen content.

FWIW the only game that has caused any IR on my 50PX77U is Gears of War 2, in Horde mode. That involves nearly non-stop play, no pausing or cut scenes. The ammo counter in the upper right corner is bright white and I've noticed it lingering for a minute or two after 4-5 hour sessions.

jeff

·
Registered
3,661 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmiw /forum/post/16939491

What did you have your pixel orbiter settings set to, out of curiosity? I'm leaning towards IR, mainly because I imagine you didn't walk southeast for the entire game. (and because only outlines have the problem, not the other static parts of the HUD) Check back tomorrow after running the slides overnight to see if it's at least gotten lighter, if not completely disappeared.

Also, try slightly lower brightness; 60 seems a bit high from the other stuff I've read. *shrug*

I'm interested to know what his Pixel orbiter setting was set to as well. His settings seem pretty conservative, I'm surprised it happened, even after 20+ hours of straight gaming.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
I have 3 plasmas....2 Panasonic and one LG. Getting the LG a few years ago also coincided with me picking up "Midnight Club 3 Dub Edition" for the original Xbox...and if you're familiar with the game it has a speedometer that is similar to the HUD in Prototype. As you might imagine, after a few too many hours of playing I could still see the faint outline of the speedo on everything I watched...but after a day or two of varied content, it went away completely. Just to be safe, I moved gaming to my older Panasonic which was much more resistant. Moral of the story is....take some breaks and use common sense. I doubt that it is permanent though..

·
Registered
276 Posts
Really hoping this clears up on your set, because since the g10's are supposed to be excellent in regards to IR, makes me wonder how much worse this couldve been on an LG or a Samsung..

granted 20+ hours of gaming over 2 days and only an hour of IR...

·
Premium Member
2,316 Posts
Thread title is just silly... How can you label something permanent (in all caps) when you really have absolutely no reason to think it's permanent.

That's like having a cold, napping for a couple of hours, and wondering why it's still there when you wake back up.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I apologize for the PERMANENT word in the thread title, I guess that is yet to be determined. I tried editing but no luck with the title.

Thanks for the responses, guys. I checked this morning and that HUD is still there, but seems to be fainter. To answer everyone's question my Pixel Orbiter has always been set to Automatic.

Quote:
I suggest in the future to not play for so many consecutive hours. Not just because of IR, but because of having a life. Maybe every 3 hours, take a break and watch a TV show for 30 minutes.

Come on man, there is no need to judge how I live my life just because I play a game till I beat it. I usually rent games. Even if I don't put in 20 consecutive hours over 2 days, I would do it over the course of a week or two. It would still cause IR because I don't have cable and I only watch movies other than gaming and I don't watch that many movies.

At chadmak's suggestion, I'll try something other than break in slides. Since I don't have cable, I will just run a chapter of the Planet Earth Blu Ray on repeat on the PS3 until I get back from work. 8 hours or so. Will report back.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Give it a week, I highly doubt it's permanent. Just keep watching moving content and run the scroller.

That's a ton of time to have that same image on for just two days. I'm a hardcore gamer and even I don't put that kind of time into a game!

·
Registered
376 Posts
I was considering a Panasonic G10 or V10 plasma until I see these type of posts. He's done the break-in and severe image retention (so it seems) is still an issue. Yes, it's likely not permanent burn-in, but if I had to go through all this trouble to have the tv on all day (full screen content no logos/HUDs) in order to eventually remove this IR, that's just as annoying.

·
Registered
4,590 Posts

I apologize for the PERMANENT word in the thread title, I guess that is yet to be determined. I tried editing but no luck with the title.

Thanks for the responses, guys. I checked this morning and that HUD is still there, but seems to be fainter. To answer everyone's question my Pixel Orbiter has always been set to Automatic.

You have to ask the mods. to make the thread title change for you.

Just use the "report post" triangle symbol, below your name on your original post. Ask them to change the title to what ever new words you prefer.

May I suggest something like the following:

Possible burn in on Panasonic G10 from gaming?

Since it is starting to decrease, it would appear that you are dealing with a case of Image Retention, and not Burn In.

Since you have actually used it for so few hours, it may not yet be fully seasoned, and that may have contributed to the acute case of gaming IR that you experienced.

Good luck with your efforts to erase the remaining effects.

·
Premium Member
18,322 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosso_Corsa /forum/post/16939448

I think I have put in close to 20-25 hours over the course of the weekend, and I'm one misson from finishing the game.

However, this evening I put in the Watchmen Blu Ray and noticed right away that during the opening green screen that a HUD logo from the game was burned into my set.

Here is a screenshot from the game. Notice the HUD display on the lower left corner has some circular white outlines. Those white outlines have left a shadow on the screen that is visible in all blank images except for pure white and grey. So this shows up in all of the green, blue and red break in slides.

The funny thing is, the previous game I played, Resident Evil 5 was right before this one and I played it and nothing else for about the same number of hours, 20 or so, and have had no ill effects from the HUD in that game. Although the HUD in that game does not contain white outlines, only grey ones. See below.

Wow, 25 hours of playing that game with that HUD display is probably a little too much to ask out of a Plasma TV.

Interesting that you noted how the while outlines of that HUD leave IR, but other colors do not. I watch a lot of KABC local news and their logo has white abc letters and a white circle-7 and when i switch to the break-in slides, i saw the IR of just the white portions of that logo on the screen on some colors during the slideshow, but watching HD programming washed it away immediately.

Here's what my logo looks like, but the circle-7 portion is white like the abc letter and not gray like the picture shows:

A guy in a recent thread had some very persistent IR on his Plasma for days that he could not wash away, but he ended up using the PixelProtector DVD and he reported back that running that DVD got rid of the IR:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1166250

·
Premium Member
2,316 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters /forum/post/16941786

Wow, 25 hours of playing that game with that HUD display is probably a little too much to ask out of a Plasma TV.

I would imagine that it won't be a problem later in the display's life, but at this point 25 hours means that poor Panasonic has displayed that HUD ~10% of it's life. That's quite a bit so early on.

1 - 20 of 109 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.