AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not much tech specs, but it is listed here:
Link

The big surprise! It's listed at $1099. $200 cheaper than the HV10. Wait for clearance on HV10 or buy HV20? Too early to tell until full specs come out on HV20. Hope they improve the low light and add external mic.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Just click on highlights on the page link. At the bottom is" Additional features: Auto focus, low light performance and an electronic lens cover increase convenience. Plus, IEEE 1394 firewall, HDMI and microphone terminal ports are included for a variety of output options".

·
Registered
521 Posts
Aargh! I was about the buy the HV10 today (to take advantage of the pinnacle free software offer ending 1/31/07) but I decide to check the forum one last time.... HDMI and mic port seem to be worth the wait!? Can anyone comment on the following on engadget (source unknown) -" it will boast a 2.96mega pixal censor and optical stabilization and shoot "24p" minimum lowlight 7 lux" (sic)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Canon's pricing of HV20 is cheaper than hv10. What makes them do so?

·
Registered
521 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross /forum/post/0

That's not an unusual pricing strategy for newer technology. Even though there are improvements and refined technologies, they generally come out cheaper than the predecessor.

Agreed but a 20% price drop with some pretty significant improvements so soon after a successful launch did seem pretty unusual!

·
Registered
7 Posts
HV20 and HV10 are both DOA due to missing LANC port so you can't drive either one with an external zoom controller like a Varizoom or what is on all the Sony tripods. Stupid Japanese bureaucracy.

I'm going with a Sony HDR-HC7.

·
Registered
33,827 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureMedia /forum/post/0

HV20 and HV10 are both DOA due to missing LANC port so you can't drive either one with an external zoom controller like a Varizoom or what is on all the Sony tripods. Stupid Japanese bureaucracy.

I'm going with a Sony HDR-HC7.

I'm going with the HV20 despite the 'missing LANC port' for the following reasons:

* Superb PQ of its predecessor, the HV10 (which has better PQ than any Sony small cams such as the HC1/HC3)

* Improved low-light performance. The low-light PQ of the HV10 was already better than either of my previous cams (HC1 & HC3) since the HV10 retains HD sharpness in low-light. The Sony cams go mushy in low-light.

* Superior autofocus system to any camcorder I've ever use (and I've a lot)

* 24p shooting...a first in any HDV cam at even double this price

* HDMI, mike input and hot shoe (yes, the Sonys have those too)

So the bottom line is I'll be fine without the LANC, but I'll have fun with all of the above mentioned features. Most important is that superb Canon PQ!

·
Premium Member
5,305 Posts

Quote:

I'm going with the HV20 despite the 'missing LANC port' for the following reasons:

* Superb PQ of its predecessor, the HV10 (which has better PQ than any Sony small cams such as the HC1/HC3)

* Improved low-light performance. The low-light PQ of the HV10 was already better than either of my previous cams (HC1 & HC3) since the HV10 retains HD sharpness in low-light. The Sony cams go mushy in low-light.

* Superior autofocus system to any camcorder I've ever use (and I've a lot)

* 24p shooting...a first in any HDV cam at even double this price

* HDMI, mike input and hot shoe (yes, the Sonys have those too)

So the bottom line is I'll be fine without the LANC, but I'll have fun with all of the above mentioned features. Most important is that superb Canon PQ!

DING! DING! DING! We have a winner.

FutureMedia, don't spam the forum with the same post. I've deleted the others.

Thanks,

Kyser

·
Banned
5,755 Posts
Got my Spring 2007 B&H catalog today. On page 232 the HV-10 is listed at $949.95 and the HV-20 is $1099.99.

Interesting how the HV-20's existence was completely dismissed while this catalog was being readied for shipment.

I'm saving up my shekels for the HV-20. I would like to know if the up facing mics are going to be a problem. I like to use the camera "on the streets" with no extra attachments at times. But I imagine it'll do.

Can't wait!

·
Registered
4,858 Posts

Quote:

I really enjoy your posts Ken, but you are a consumate spec-measurbator. Before the HV20 you've been saying how unimportant low light is, that any dark scene should be illuminated anyway and that the HV10 has a video light built in.

Now along comes the HV20 that you haven't even seen beyond a press release that mentions improved low-light performance, and suddenly it's the messiah for low light in its market segment. And well it might be!

Ahem... before betting the house I'd look back on those earlier claims for low light performance in the Canon Optura line, and contrast them with what Camcorderinfo said about them. Canon is notorious for abysmal low light in miniDV cams. As an owner of the HV10, I'd rank it poor for low light, although what is called acceptable is a purely personal judgment. I doubt the HV20 is going to be stellar for low light either, but if it isn't you can always use illumination.

24p and hdmi are going to be the main attractions. I think for most people, the ergonomics will be preferable too. The small size of the HV10 remains an advantage if you need to pack or stow for adventure activities.

·
Registered
678 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Roper /forum/post/0

I

Ahem... before betting the house I'd look back on those earlier claims for low light performance in the Canon Optura line, and contrast them with what Camcorderinfo said about them. Canon is notorious for abysmal low light in miniDV cams. As an owner of the HV10, I'd rank it poor for low light, although what is called acceptable is a purely personal judgment. I doubt the HV20 is going to be stellar for low light either, but if it isn't you can always use illumination.

Now I have to admit.... that's funny!

I'm holding judgment though until I see the reviews on BOTH the HV20 and the Sony HC7

BTW.... Does anybody know if the HV20 is coming with night vision.... I use that a lot with my HC3, and I do need it on the next cam.

·
Registered
33,827 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Roper /forum/post/0

I really enjoy your posts Ken, but you are a consumate spec-measurbator. Before the HV20 you've been saying how unimportant low light is, that any dark scene should be illuminated anyway and that the HV10 has a video light built in.

Now, now Tom, I'm not that bad! But my question of the day is if I have someone else read the specs to me, am I still a 'measurbator'?

Seriously though, I stand by what I originally said, when the light is really poor you need a light. I also contend in really poor light there is no camera (save cams like the VX2000/VX2100) that will produce nice video. That was true then and it's true now. However, with that said, who wouldn't want the HV10 PQ with an improvement in low-light performance? If I can pick up another 2 lux of low-light and retain the fine image quality of the HV10, why not? Yes it's true, we don't know for sure how the HV20 will look in poor light, but I think we do have reason to be optimistic.

1 - 20 of 100 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.