AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had some more time today to look at the projector and I noticed while watching dvd's that the image is inset about 1/4" on the left side only (if this makes sense).

Basically there is a 1/4" vertical line on the left edge of the screen that runs from top to bottom (im actually using the wall right now). Any ideas on what may be causing this or is this normal for projectors? When the projector produces the blue screen when the dvd is turned off the 1/4" vertical lines disappears.

Thanks so much!

Andy

·
Registered
4,654 Posts
If you're talking about a line at the very edge, like the last row of pixels, it is common on the Sanyo machines. Only guys with no screens notice it, because it is eliminated by the flat black border of screens.

------------------

Joe

My current idea of the best value:

Boxlight 38t

Quadscan Elite

Panasonic RP91

RCA DTC-100

Da-Lite 100" 4:3 1.3gain

Studio Experience SE616's

and some other stuff.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is actually the last few rows of pixels. Im glad that this is the case for us guys without screens. I was figuring that the screen border would cover this. Thanks so much for the quick reply. Now I can enjoy Hannibal tonight without any worries.

One last thing, how often do you clean the lens for dust and what type of cloth should I use?

Thanks again!

Andy

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
I'm noticing a vertical line about 1-1/4" in from the left hand side of my 86" wide screen. It's not a row of pixels, it's the same color as whatever the picture is at that time. Any ideas?

Also, Joe, how much panel mis-alignment is tolerable and do you notice any on your machine? I notice when you hit the "focus" button and the little white box pops up, it has a bit of a color border on the left-hand side, as does the word "focus. Do I have misaligned panel(s)?

Dan

Dan

·
Registered
4,654 Posts
Now that I think about it, I had what looked like a darker band, maybe an inch wide down the left side in my first config. When I got the QSE it went away. I remember reading about similar bands on earlier versions of the quadscan, so I'm thinking Sanyo's internal video processor has the same problem as the early Quadscans. A while back I thought "I wonder if my stripe is still there?" and so I looked for it, and it was gone. Since then I haven't looked for it, but now I'll look, and I hope I won't be sorry you brought it up.

Dan,

I don't have what you are describing. My boxes are perfect. And I'm certainly no expert on this topic (or any other for that matter) but I had some mis-alignment in my old RPTV which I couldn't get rid of and it drove me crazy, but just some of the time. I bet you can get it fixed.

------------------

Joe

Boxlight 38t

Quadscan Elite

Panasonic RP91

RCA DTC-100

and some other stuff.

[This message has been edited by JHouse (edited 08-25-2001).]

·
Registered
4,654 Posts
Ok, I was completely wrong on the bands. It is very subtle, but it is still there. As a matter of fact, there is one on both sides. The right one is even fainter than the left. There are a lot of times when you can't see it at all from the seating position, even when you are looking. I hadn't noticed it in my last 50 to 100 hours of viewing. The acid test is my son (we'll call him "Negative Eagal Eye") hasn't noticed it yet. I've now been told it's a consequence of the clips used to hold the panels in place. Some kind of shadow or reflection. I don't see it as a problem, because when I'm watching, I just don't see it. It's like pixels, if you get up close and look you can see them, otherwise, not. BTW I did exactly that last night, and that MLA actually makes the grid look just like my last DLP. Those grid lines are almost nonexistent. It's magic.

------------------

Joe

Boxlight 38t

Quadscan Elite

Panasonic RP91

RCA DTC-100

and some other stuff.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It makes me feel better that everyone is seeing this. It really isnt a major problem, but last night was my check every little aspect of the projector and this came up. At least the vertical row is 100% aligned all the way down the screen so it is really hard to nice especially if you are paying attention to the movie.

Andy

·
Registered
244 Posts
I was just watching on my 13HD and noticed the same thing. My screen is about 90in diag and the band is about 1 1/2 inches. I was watching some HBO HDTV and noticed it.

It is somewhat hard to see, and I only see it when I look for it.

It is too bad, however, that you can drop 6k on a projector and still have issues like this.

-maynard

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Maynard

Couldn't agree more. As long as you have to deal with obvious defects like this that any decent engineering could get rid of, plus a bunch of boxes that work like crap together, plus a bunch of badly written, obtuse and singularly unhelpful manuals, HT ain't going anywhere.

Dan

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.