AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I get a DOS message upon booting up my HTPC (Windows 98) that says that there could be bad sectors. It then goes into Scandisk and hangs on 14% complete. If I skip scandisk, the computer boots up (slowly) and seems to function ok. If I run the standard scan in Windows Scandisk, then it tells me that there are errors on the drive and to run the thorough scan. When I run the thorough scan, it tells me that there are errors that it will correct later, starts scanning from the beginning again, and again tells me that there are errors that it will correct later, and keeps repeating itself.

Here is what I was going to do to try to fix the problem, let me know if I should do something different.

1) Re-Install Windows98

2) If #1 doesn't work, then...format c: /s

3) If #2 doesn't work, then visit my local Frys and buy a new HDD

any other ideas?

·
Registered
90 Posts
go to Fry's get that new HDD and use the software they give you to do a drive-to-drive copy... goodbye errors, hello more drive space. Or, if you were willing to do it start over anyway... either way I wouldn't trust that drive anymore... a problem like that could be indicative of a larger one.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is a Seagate drive that I purchased about 6 months ago from Fry's. Do you think there is any kind of warranty coverage available?

·
Registered
98 Posts
It's an unfortunate fact of life that drives fail. Apparently, stuff can go wrong in a cramped, hot space where discs spin at 7200RPM. You should still be under warranty. I don't know anything about Fry's and their policies, but they might just swap it out for a new one. You can check the Seagate warranty status at this page: http://www.seagate.com/support/servi...re_drive.html. If Fry's won't just swap it for you, Seagate is pretty decent about RMAs. I definitely agree that a drive that's crashing after 14% of scandisk is done should be replaced ASAP.

Good luck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Seagate drives have 3 year warranties. Get it replaced after backing up the data. I got myself a Samsung 80gig to backup my 2 ibm drives that act strange and make funny noises sometimes. No bad sectors yet, but they are known for them. Make sure your HDD has adequate airflow around it, and don't place it up against anything. That's the best insurance.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
You might check to see if Seagate does advanced shipment replacement on RMA drives (WD, Maxtor, and Samsung do)....essentially, they'll take cc info (won't charge it), ship you a new/refurb drive, and then you send your old drive back in the package they sent you.

this gives you the opportunity to try to clone the drive using their software (or something else).

Have done it 6+ times or so....no problems.

Rich

·
Registered
31 Posts
Given that the drive is nearly new, the problem you describe is most likely caused by corrupt sectors on the disk and NOT physical damage. If the drive has sutained any physical shocks (especially while running) there may be physical damage but otherwise it will just be corruption - sometimes drives just do this "out of the blue", I've had it happen to a 6 month old drive.

There is a process known as a low-level format (different to the ordinary OS file system format) which will completely erase all the contents of the drive and write zeros to all of it. After doing this you could partition the drive using fdisk and format it normally. The low-level formatting software (available as a free download from the manufacturers website) will also perform a thorough test of the drive as it does it's thing and will present an error code IF physical damage (unreapairable by user) is present. Drive manufacturers often request you try this before returning a suspect drive for RMA. In my job as a computer tech I have saved myself many needless returns by doing this with drives. If it fails the low-level format THEN attempt the RMA (and give Seagate the error code with your correspondence).

Regarding the idea of copying across the drive contents to another new drive - once your drive has shown problems and has been used for sometime, there is a possibility of file corruption being present. I personally wouldn't copy this "suspect" data and would do a fresh install on a newly partitioned/formatted disk. You might get away with it but it would be hard to rule out the cause of any future problems from being related. If you start fresh, you know where you are. Best of luck!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.