AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a catalog from C-Crane yesterday and noticed an indoor TV antenna that they had. I have had zero experience with this thing but the C-Crane guys are really knowledgeable about RF propagation and reception and build the best AM radio antennas and sets around. If you want to take a look, the URL is: http://www.ccrane.com/godar_indoor_tv_antenna.asp and if anyone takes them up on the deal please report back here with the results.

Jim

·
Registered
6,224 Posts
Quote:
In tests here among the redwoods, the Godar antenna brought in channels that were absolutely impossible to watch without it.
If that isn't a pure marketing statement I don't know what is.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Hmmmmm....been here before.....any manufacturer that mentions any channel over 69 should be a candidate for the "run, dont walk for the door" treatment. REPEAT AFTER ME.......SNAKE OIL!!! SNAKE OIL!!! SNAKE OIL!!!

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Well, for decades there were channels above 69 in the U. S.: 70 through 83.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Yes channels 70-83 did exist but have been de-allowcated for more than a decade and were only ever used very sparsely for translator stations. The point is any knowledgable person would not make claims about reception on those channels, bringing into doubt any other claims they make.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
I can't believe this antenna works well with HDTV. It looks like a very simple VHF/FM antenna. I have seen something similar from Radioshack and it won't get any HDTV. Its design is so different from the Bowtie or Silver Sensor that I can't believe it works. But hey, if anyone does try it I'd love to know the results too.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I thought the same thing until I read the description al little closer and noticed "It’s the first rabbit ear antenna to incorporate a broadband 14-element yagi". Also, CCrane is a supplier of shortwave and high-performance AM radios and antennas which makes their claims a little more credible.

Jim

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Strange! Rabbit ears look nothing like a yagi not to mention the unit is too small to enclose a properly cut (tuned) yagi even. C.Crane has a good reputation but the description is just not credible.

·
Registered
308 Posts
quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In tests here among the redwoods, the Godar antenna brought in channels that were absolutely impossible to watch without it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Matt L

You got that right! Geez, if I hooked-up a coat hanger to my STB Antenna Input and could receive only one channel, that statement would apply to the hanger also. Since, the STB was able to pick-up one channel that was impossible do without the hanger.

Their just so smooth...

...like sand paper. :)

·
Registered
192 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by SamR.
quote:

Matt L

You got that right! Geez, if I hooked-up a coat hanger to my STB Antenna Input and could receive only one channel, that statement would apply to the hanger also. Since, the STB was able to pick-up one channel that was impossible do without the hanger.

Their just so smooth...

...like sand paper. :)

The nice thing about a coat hanger antenna is that it is geometricly configurable to recieve even the most difficult channels optimally, regardless of polarization. The user is able to cut, bend, manipute, fold and position the specially designed electromagnetic transducer alloy material (known as the coat-hanger wire) for the best reception on the most difficult channel, then hopefully one also receives the other, stronger channels successfuly. For better results, you can try attaching the specialized material directly to the screw terminals of a 300 ohm amplifer.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.